Sign in to follow this  
Budapest Canary

Derby Match Thread

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Superb result and great to se e Olly net a hat trick. Keep that up and we could flog him for a small fortune in the summer :)

This will keep Neil in place to the summer at least so let''s hope he performs a second half season miracle like he did when he first loin end us. It also suggests that there is no significant dressing room unrest.[/quote]He loin ended us?

norfolkbroadslim wrote the following post at 02/01/2017 5:15 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:

Superb result and great to se e Olly net a hat trick. Keep that up and we could flog him for a small fortune in the summer :) This will keep Neil in place to the summer at least so let''s hope he performs a second half season miracle like he did when he first loin end us. It also suggests that there is no significant dressing room unrest.

He loin ended us?

He joined us. Simples!

Much much better performance, Wes virtually unplayable and certainly the difference along with Howson. With such creativity and the link up play between Wes and oliveira we are a match for most in this league. A lesson learnt by AN I hope. And for your info LDC the crowd were always behind City from the start, even though it was a shaky start, to the end.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Much much better performance, Wes virtually unplayable and certainly the difference along with Howson. With such creativity and the link up play between Wes and oliveira we are a match for most in this league. A lesson learnt by AN I hope. And for your info LDC the crowd were always behind City from the start, even though it was a shaky start, to the end.[/quote]

I was worried at the start, you could tell it was very quiet in the first few minutes.  But that is in the past. Sounded a great match on the radio - the team answered the questions - and so imo did the manager.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2017-01-02 9:56 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

Much much better performance, Wes virtually unplayable and certainly the difference along with Howson. With such creativity and the link up play between Wes and oliveira we are a match for most in this league. A lesson learnt by AN I hope. And for your info LDC the crowd were always behind City from the start, even though it was a shaky start, to the end.

I was worried at the start, you could tell it was very quiet in the first few minutes. But that is in the past. Sounded a great match on the radio - the team answered the questions - and so imo did the manager.

The team answered the question, the manager didn''t, but he put round pegs in round holes and it worked!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Pi55 poor match thread. One of the worst I''ve ever seen. Hang your heads in shame...[/quote]

Well stop going to the matches and listen to it on Canaryworld like the rest of us.

Too excited listening to it and switching to SSN to see the goals to type too much.

Great to have the win, clean sheet, and Olivera really looking like a class player.

The worry for me is that AN appears to be shuffling the team selection like a deck of card with no real feel for what will work and why.  Why have Wes and Klose been out of the team for ages ?  When it works, our team looks great, but then we have some of the best players in the division.  All too often, the other manager appears to have more nous and our team under-performs.  Another good result doesn''t change that pattern.  We need a consistent and sustained level of performance before I''ll start to change my mind about AN I''m afraid.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Great to have the win, clean sheet, and Olivera really looking like a class player. The worry for me is that AN appears to be shuffling the team selection like a deck of card with no real feel for what will work and why.  Why have Wes and Klose been out of the team for ages ?  When it works, our team looks great, but then we have some of the best players in the division.  All too often, the other manager appears to have more nous and our team under-performs.  Another good result doesn''t change that pattern.  We need a consistent and sustained level of performance before I''ll start to change my mind about AN I''m afraid.[/quote]

The team set up yesterday was pretty much how it was in the first game of the season against Blackburn, with Tettey, Howson, Wes, Naismith and Jacob in midfield.   With the form of Olivera and Martin back in defence (we had Benett and Jerome in at Blackburn) this looks as good a line up as we could get - as long as they are all on best form.  The shuffling of the pack was down to form, results, injuries and trying to assimilate the new players.  Hopefully, this match can be the catalyst for another sustained run. The difference now of course is that AN has a much better idea of what will work and what won''t work.....I hope!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Great to have the win, clean sheet, and Olivera really looking like a class player. The worry for me is that AN appears to be shuffling the team selection like a deck of card with no real feel for what will work and why.  Why have Wes and Klose been out of the team for ages ?  When it works, our team looks great, but then we have some of the best players in the division.  All too often, the other manager appears to have more nous and our team under-performs.  Another good result doesn''t change that pattern.  We need a consistent and sustained level of performance before I''ll start to change my mind about AN I''m afraid.[/quote]

The team set up yesterday was pretty much how it was in the first game of the season against Blackburn, with Tettey, Howson, Wes, Naismith and Jacob in midfield.   With the form of Olivera and Martin back in defence (we had Benett and Jerome in at Blackburn) this looks as good a line up as we could get - as long as they are all on best form.  The shuffling of the pack was down to form, results, injuries and trying to assimilate the new players.  Hopefully, this match can be the catalyst for another sustained run. The difference now of course is that AN has a much better idea of what will work and what won''t work.....I hope!

[/quote]

Given AN has had most of these players for over a year now, the problem is that he doesn''t yet seem to have a good idea of what works and what doesn''t.  For example it was entirely his choice to start with both Murphys and Pritchard against a very well-drilled and physical Barnsley team who clearly knew all about them, and were briefed to make sure none of them got running with the ball, even at the cost of quite a few fouls, and also were very ready to exploit the space behind them, especially on the left where we had Brady (not the best defensively) behind Josh Murphy (also a weak link defensively).  It''s not good enough IMO to say these sort of changes are down to form/results/injuries/new players.  It was simply a major mistake in team selection.  Maybe you''re right and AN has finally started to understand what to do.  I hope so !  Unfortunately I think it''s more likely this will be another flash in the pan and we''ll get found out the next time we come up against a coach who''s more tactically astute that AN.