Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Attendances

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]I''m confused.

I thought our L1 attendances were around 23-25k every week?[/quote]They were.Not sure why you are confused, the gates of 12 or 13k, that are being talked about, were in the early 90''s.

It never ceases to amaze me that a throw away figure or remark is seized upon by some on here ,twisted then re regurgitated as fact. In another thread i made a passing comment about i hope there will be no return to crowds of 11000 to 13000 as there had been in the past if season ticket numbers start to decline. I never made any mention whatsoever of average attendances around this level. To put the record straight then i am finished with the topic,there have been many many instances in the 1990s when i have been to league games and the attendances have been in the 11000 to 13000 bracket[ no mention of averages ]. In the 1990s there were at least 5 seasons when the average gate was under 16000 and within these averages were gates significantly lower and kids were being offered entry for £1 and some kids season tickets were £50 or so. Nothing contentious about that. Portsmouth at 11000 and Birmingham 9800 being specific examples. I hope attendances stay high, but we have a high age profile and it has been hard to get youngsters tickets for many years due to the high ratio of older season ticket holders. The majority of people who sit near me are 35 to 40 plus and not many kids

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]It never ceases to amaze me that a throw away figure or remark is seized upon by some on here ,twisted then re regurgitated as fact. In another thread i made a passing comment about i hope there will be no return to crowds of 11000 to 13000 as there had been in the past if season ticket numbers start to decline. I never made any mention whatsoever of average attendances around this level. To put the record straight then i am finished with the topic,there have been many many instances in the 1990s when i have been to league games and the attendances have been in the 11000 to 13000 bracket[ no mention of averages ]. In the 1990s there were at least 5 seasons when the average gate was under 16000 and within these averages were gates significantly lower and kids were being offered entry for £1 and some kids season tickets were £50 or so. Nothing contentious about that. Portsmouth at 11000 and Birmingham 9800 being specific examples. I hope attendances stay high, but we have a high age profile and it has been hard to get youngsters tickets for many years due to the high ratio of older season ticket holders. The majority of people who sit near me are 35 to 40 plus and not many kids[/quote]Possibly because you constantly moan, about pretty much everything?

I wasn''t referring to you Yorkshire, it was something that had been bugging me for a while - the talk of reducing attendances. The impression I had - rightly or wrongly - was that people had been insinuating that attendances had been bad before 2009 and was surprised when I looked at then, that actually you have to go a long way back to see average attendances below 20,000.

I am quite confident that attendances will fall given the increasing gap between wages and watching games. If we start to drift and play turgid stuff, I''m sure there will be a drop of at least 10%, possibly 15%. So less full houses of 27k plus and more like 22k to 23k.

Morty I rarely rise to the provocation on here but in your mindblowing 32000 posts you seem to have had an argument with just about everyone on here. If you are old enough to remember monty python there is an excellent sketch titled dial an argument you I am sure if there is ever a remake you would be ideal for the part

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Morty I rarely rise to the provocation on here but in your mindblowing 32000 posts you seem to have had an argument with just about everyone on here. If you are old enough to remember monty python there is an excellent sketch titled dial an argument you I am sure if there is ever a remake you would be ideal for the part[/quote]Prove me wrong that you don''t constantly whinge.

In fact Yorkshire, I am going to predict that you are a season ticket holder in the City stand, and have been for years. You sit with "like minded" people, year in, year out, and moan your way through every match. But you all still keep going, though none of you can remember quite why....

Yorkshire,

Maybe we cut him some slack because as Ted Dansen once said "You use and lose a lot of energy being grumpy".... poor bugger must be bed ridden...

Probably be a boring board without Morty but everyone must remember the golden rule . If you disagree with him he will get personal and account for around 50 % of Replies on any thread .

There is a certain irony there, considering how many of your posts are having swipes at me.

😀

[quote user="Bagster"]Never heard anyone talking about attendance levels like that tbh.

I think there is more of a problem with the average age of the attendees, seems to get older every year.

Severe lack of 20 to 30 year olds singing their heads off now replaced with 50 year olds grumbling their heads off!![/quote]Oiy......do you mind !!We''re a lot older than that [;)]

The renaissance for Norwich attendances increasing hugely occurred during and after the title winning 2003/2004 season . Coincided with the Jarrold stand opening to push the average up to 18,000. Every season there after I don''t think there''s been a crowd below 23,000 even in league one .

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Anyway, how come Lakey gets to post at this time every day.

I thought you were a teacher or something?
[/quote]
I suspect class attendances are at all time low. Either that or young people just can''t stand it if their instructor doesn''t include a number of semiquaver rests.

It was the unexpected run to the playoffs in the 2001/2002 season that dragged the crowds in. Prior to that season, the block I sit in in the River End was less than a quarter full. I could run up and down my row. When we went on that run of 9 wins out of 10 or whatever it was under Worthy people starting flooding to the ground and queuing for tickets to Cardiff. The new fans seemed to stick around and attendances rarely dropped lower than 20,000 after that season, but I seem to recall them being around the 14-15k mark for years prior to Worthy''s playoff season.

I remember "Aunt Erica", former columnist in the matchday programme, having a bit of a nark at these new fans, joking that they thought Steen Nedergaard was a Scandinavian castle.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Anyway, how come Lakey gets to post at this time every day.

I thought you were a teacher or something?[/quote]
To quote Freddy Mercury, I''m just a musical prostitute. Teach, play, sing, direct, classical, rock, jazz, theatre.......whatever and wherever the work is.     Fortunately, not too many early mornings though [Y].

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Anyway, how come Lakey gets to post at this time every day.

I thought you were a teacher or something?[/quote]
To quote Freddy Mercury, I''m just a musical prostitute. Teach, play, sing, direct, classical, rock, jazz, theatre.......whatever and wherever the work is.     Fortunately, not too many early mornings though [Y].

[/quote]Class act Freddie.Completely off topic as I doubt he''d heard of Norwich never mind attended Carrow Rd but he died 25 years ago tomorrow. His dear old Mum died a few days ago and her obituary was in today''s paper.Now back on track.....