Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

McNally's Seven Year Plan & Scores on the Doors

[quote user="Indy"]Bor you know I said the 20 years a of the board! That''s 4 and potentially 4, as for spending on players and wages, that''s true, but have we really moved our squad on in that time? We. Still have a squad full of aging championship quality players with a few decent players and the odd youngster with potential.

But heck find fault in my opinions all you like.[/quote]
We were talking about the 7 year plan since McNally was CEO.  I wasn''t talking about the 20 years of the board.
Though if under this board we have achieved 4 promotions & 4 relegations in 20 years, it hardly makes us the "yo yo" club that people keep referring to.

Exactly that Bor, my point to expand on where we are is to look at what we had at the time of Delia.

For 13 years it wasn''t that great, but the last 7 have been a big rise in our fortunes.

A yo-yo club I hope we are, as if we do go down I''d like to bounce back.

Overall as I pointed out McNally has been fantastic for our club, his 7 year plan isn''t static but fluid and changes to the timeline should be accepted as long as the long term goal is to become an established premiership club. It''s very doubtful we will be in the promised land all the time as other clubs will have the same goal, not everyone can be there all the time!

It''s been a very successful 7 year plan regardless of relegation this season, it''s a no brainier.

[quote user="Indy"]Bor you know I said the 20 years a of the board! That''s 4 and potentially 4, as for spending on players and wages, that''s true, but have we really moved our squad on in that time? We. Still have a squad full of aging championship quality players with a few decent players and the odd youngster with potential.

But heck find fault in my opinions all you like.[/quote]OK. You raised the question...The squad for the season 20 years ago had Gunn and Marshall as goalkeepers, which is reasonable. The defence included Bowen, Prior, Polston, Ullathorne, Newsome, Newman, Bradshaw and Sutch. Some decent players there, albeit some of them getting on a bit, and some not so decent.In midfield Neil Adams and Eadie, an ageing Crook, Mike Milligan and Andy Johnson, and Keith O''Neill, who looked a genius in the making the first time I saw him. But wasn''t.Up front the estimable Ashley Ward. But the rest, oh dear. An also ageing Fleck, Cureton, Akinbiyi and Keith Scott...That squad finished 16th in the second tier. And looking at it, I wouldn''t say that was a great surprise. Even allowing for the way Premier League money has enabled clubs to buy better players I would say whatever squad we have if we go down will be better than that lot, both in absolute terms and also as far as how it compares now with the squads it will be up against and how that 1995-96 squad compared with its rivals.

Oops.....Plans evolve don''t they, a seven year plan needs to be reviewed regularly in light of how you''re measuring against it.

In Sept 2013 I believe McNally''s plan was for us to be permenantly

in the PL and showing improvement year on year in our position.

A fine ambition, sadly, far from being realised.

Christ, if someone had said when we were relegated to league 1 we would spend 4 of the next seven years in the prem They''d have been laughed out of the city.

Our fans need to get real about the level our club operates. All this "established premier league club" is a load of BS It only exists for the really big clubs. Everyone else is one crap season away from relegation.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Christ, if someone had said when we were relegated to league 1 we would spend 4 of the next seven years in the prem They''d have been laughed out of the city.

Our fans need to get real about the level our club operates. All this "established premier league club" is a load of BS It only exists for the really big clubs. Everyone else is one crap season away from relegation.[/quote][Y]

Well Purple look at our squad, do you think our current squad would not benefit from the likes of Eadie, Newsome, Bowen, Gunn, Marshall, Fleck, Crook and Ward?

I mean like for like, Olsson, Klose, Redders, Tettey, Martin, Wes, Jerome and Howson, then after that I don''t think the rest would push us any better than that squad.

For me you''ve highlighted that we haven''t really built the squad any better......Bassong, Dorrans, ONeil, Mullumbu, Jarvis, Naismith, Laffs, Rudd, Ruddy........it''s not really any better is it considering? Not in my opinion.

Yellow eagle

"Our fans need to get real about the level our club operates.All this "established premier league club" is a load of BS.

David McNally 2013

"In terms of planning for the future, we aim to stay in this league. From a football point of view, we have to stay in the Premier League. But alongside that, we have a goal on and off the pitch to continuously improve. All of us, whether it’s myself, or the media team, or the finance team, or sales and marketing – we have some targets that are designed to stretch us, to push us, to continuously improve. The same is true with football, we have a continuous improvement. Read into that what you will – you won’t hear from us saying that ‘we need to finish top x, or top y, or top z’ – we are just looking to continuously improve and the fans won’t need reminding that we were 12th two years ago, 11th last year, so we want to continue to improve from that position. "

Well of course the aim is to improve continuously why would it be anything else?Is anyone stupid enough to think that the club deliberately sets out not to try and improve? Or that continual improvement is some kind of God given right?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Yellow eagle

"Our fans need to get real about the level our club operates.All this "established premier league club" is a load of BS.

David McNally 2013

"In terms of planning for the future, we aim to stay in this league. From a football point of view, we have to stay in the Premier League. But alongside that, we have a goal on and off the pitch to continuously improve. All of us, whether it’s myself, or the media team, or the finance team, or sales and marketing – we have some targets that are designed to stretch us, to push us, to continuously improve. The same is true with football, we have a continuous improvement. Read into that what you will – you won’t hear from us saying that ‘we need to finish top x, or top y, or top z’ – we are just looking to continuously improve and the fans won’t need reminding that we were 12th two years ago, 11th last year, so we want to continue to improve from that position. "[/quote]

Your point is? It''s every persons responsibility to use their own intellect to be realistic about our club. That may be McNally''s wish, it''s his job to push the club forwards so of course he''s going to talk in that manner not just to try and generate positivity it also most likely helps when negotiating with new players.

He also said he''d rather die than be relegated, surely no one took that at face value aswell.

Is the conclusion that intellectually challenged individuals have unrealistic expectations?
I''m only asking the question.
Plus everyone''s hated on Morty & Bor. Don''t feel i''ve been given the fair flack I deserve. Go ahead. [:D]

Yellow beagle

"Your point is? It''s every persons responsibility to use their own intellect to be realistic about our club. That may be McNally''s wish, it''s his job to push the club forwards so of course he''s going to talk in that manner not just to try and generate positivity it also most likely helps when negotiating with new players. "

Ah I get it, so when he''s saying that his actually thinking is a bit like yours, even though I want to push the club forward and that''s my job, we''re only little old Norwich and shouldn''t expect too much.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]You live in Dereham..... That''s punishment enough.......[/quote]
I need to update that. Moved to Norwich a couple years back!
Also for Dereham the reality was Gressenhall. Which is better, or worse.

[quote user="hogesar"]Is the conclusion that intellectually challenged individuals have unrealistic expectations?
I''m only asking the question.
Plus everyone''s hated on Morty & Bor. Don''t feel i''ve been given the fair flack I deserve. Go ahead. [:D]
[/quote]
Don''t make me Skype Houston Canary and wake him from his slumber.

Or Grefstad. I occasionally get a notification telling me he''s tagged me in a tweet, usually complaining about his ban on here and linking it to Norwich''s poor form.

I don''t know if that''s a euphemism or not, and if it is, I don''t know if it''s insulting me or not.

[quote user="Indy"]Well Purple look at our squad, do you think our current squad would not benefit from the likes of Eadie, Newsome, Bowen, Gunn, Marshall, Fleck, Crook and Ward?

I mean like for like, Olsson, Klose, Redders, Tettey, Martin, Wes, Jerome and Howson, then after that I don''t think the rest would push us any better than that squad.

For me you''ve highlighted that we haven''t really built the squad any better......Bassong, Dorrans, ONeil, Mullumbu, Jarvis, Naismith, Laffs, Rudd, Ruddy........it''s not really any better is it considering? Not in my opinion.[/quote]Indy, you quoted the squad, so it is the whole squads that have to be compared. I grant you there are a few players there who would get into our current squad, such as Gunn, Eadie and Crook and Bowen, although both those two were past their best by then. But several of that squad, including as it does Sutch, Bradshaw, Ullathorne, Milligan, Akinbiyi, Fleck (as he was by then), Newman (ditto) and Keith Scott, would be not be good enough to make the 25. And these were all players who got into double-figures in appearances that season. You cannot seriously think a squad that included those players is as good as one that includes those internationals you have listed as not being very good.They may not all have performed well this season, but you have lost perspective if you think they are not intrinsically better footballers than the likes of Sutch and Bradshaw and Keith Scott. So, yes, our current squad is clearly better than that 20 years ago.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''ve been known to milk the odd cow before.[/quote]Jimmy Saville fixed it for me to milk a cow whilst blindfolded.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Or is it that people with low expectations rarely achieve Hogesar.

Only asking?😄[/quote]
[:D]

Sorry, I may never get another appropriate opportunity on this forum (and even this one is very loosely connected) to use one of my favourite south park moments. So here goes:
We used a pretty blonde to lure him in. When she answered the door she told the milkman to follow her to the bathrub. She took off her clothes and... asked the milkman to fill the tub with milk. The milkman said, "You want that milk pasteurize?" And the blonde replied, "No, just up to my boobs. I can splash it in my eyes."

[quote user="Vanwink"]Yellow beagle

"Your point is? It''s every persons responsibility to use their own intellect to be realistic about our club. That may be McNally''s wish, it''s his job to push the club forwards so of course he''s going to talk in that manner not just to try and generate positivity it also most likely helps when negotiating with new players. "

Ah I get it, so when he''s saying that his actually thinking is a bit like yours, even though I want to push the club forward and that''s my job, we''re only little old Norwich and shouldn''t expect too much.[/quote]

If only we could all dare to dream like you, who knows where it could take us?