Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

AN interview on sky sports news

very interesting just roughly

said he is not fuelling speculation about leaving but will sit down with owners " we need a clear path direction club is going ?"

asked if he will be here next season " said you can not make promises in football "

said the club must learn from recruitment mistakes

hard to gauge the feeling really seemed he was unhappy about something somewhere but maybe i took his interview wrong ?

My interpretation is that he was in now way implying that he could be leaving, but still remaining quite non-committal, but that''s always been the case.

I think he''s just completely gutted. He''ll be here next season, I''m certain.

On the local ITV lunchtime news he said he HAD a good relationship with the owners.......Not HAS......Might have been just a Freudian slip......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]On the local ITV lunchtime news he said he HAD a good relationship with the owners.......Not HAS......Might have been just a Freudian slip......[/quote]On the SSN interview he said "I''ve got nothing but the utmost respect for the owners, I GOT (rather than get) on great with them".From the SSN interview, other than the above, which does seem a bit of a coincidence that he has now twice referred to his relationship with the owners in the past tense, it appears he would like to stay, however, if the club does not have a clear strategy, a clear direction and if it hasn''t learnt from the mistakes of the summer transfer strategy, I don''t think he will stay.

i agree Norfolk

might be just me but i thought something was a little strange way he was taking as in we will see after the meeting ?

SSN interview in full -AN -"Obviously the season is not finished yet.  I think, erm, like you say we haven''t got a Chief Executive of the moment.  So, I think obviously there''s certain things that need to be resolved within the club, erm and then obviously I''ve got, erm, I''ll have a meeting with the owners, erm and then we can sit down and have a chat.  But, I, I, I want to make something clear, I''m not suggesting at any stage that I''m leaving the club, so, erm, it, it''s, it''s nothing like that.  I just erm, I just think that we need to have a clear sort of direction in which we''re going and that''s important."Interviewer -"So is your sense, your message to the fans today that I will be here next year to lead us back into the Premier League?"AN -"Well, I, I don''t think you can ever promise anything in football.  You know I think, erm, uha, ah, like I say I''m, I''m not trying to fool, fuel the fire or add to speculation or anything like it.  I just think that we need to, we need to have a clear plan in structure in terms of how we are going  forward, so erm and like I say the seasons not finished yet.  Erm, I''ve got nothing but the utmost respect for the owners, I got on great with them and then, one, once the seasons done we''ll sit down and we can have a good chat about how we, how hopefullly we''ll move the club on."Interviewer - "What would you like to see done that perhaps wasn''t done last summer?"AN - "Erm, err nah, I think it''s a whole host of things, you know I think erm, we spoke about maybe, sorta, erm, recruiting a stronger team for the start of the season.  Erm, which I think, obviously made things difficult going into the season, erm cos I don''t think we strengthened as much as we, we would like to.  Erm, however there was a number of factors within that, erm, why that didn''t sorta materialise and didn''t become the case.  Erm and I think that''s certainly, it must be a learning point for the club, erm going forward."

In all the interviews I have seen transcribed, such as the one below from today, Neil has said nothing to suggest that he is thinking of leaving. Any diffidence or uncertainty seems entirely to be him making sure he doesn''t come across as arrogantly assuming he will be kept on:"The season is not finished yet and we haven’t got a chief executive

at the moment so obviously certain things need to be resolved at the

club,” he said. “I need to have a meeting with the owners when we get

the Everton game out of the way. Let me make one thing clear I am not

suggesting at any stage I am leaving the club. It is nothing like that. I

just think we need to have a clear sense of which direction we are

going in.

“I can’t promise anything. You can’t do that in

football. I am not trying to fuel the fire or add to any speculation. We

just need to have a clear plan in place and structure for taking this

club forward. The season is not finished yet. I have nothing but the

utmost respect for the owners. I get [note the tense] on great with them and once the

season is done we can sit down and have a good chat and hopefully move

the club on.”

I think the board sent him into this season blindfolded and with his hands tied behind his back with their summer recruiting failure, and in the interviews he has given lately and through the season I think he is feeling that way as well.

Purple, you''re wrong and that tense is definitely wrong.  I transcribed the whole interview myself directly from SSN (pausing and rewinding many times).  The word used was definitely "got".

I get the feeling that he perhaps feels he came up a bit short at Premier League level and, as noted earlier in the thread, is generally gutted because of it.

A particular thing I''ve noticed throughout his tenure- perhaps not so much in the second half of this season- is that he rarely makes the same mistakes twice. See his two games against Boro last year for proof of that.

I think, given a season with a decent budget and time to bring a few of our bright young things through, he will right the wrongs of this season.

I think he''s very disappointed in obviously relegation and also McNally leaving. Give him to and space to reflect and he''ll be here next season... hopefully!

I''d like to add, despite what I think of his managerial skills, that I think Alex spoke a lot of sense, and I agree completely, that we need a clear plan, a clear strategy and direction to move the club forward and that the club "MUST" learn from it''s mistakes of the summer.He has had the balls to stand up and accept some of the blame himself and admit that he has made mistakes and one can only give him respect for that.

[quote user="Mason 47"]I get the feeling that he perhaps feels he came up a bit short at Premier League level and, as noted earlier in the thread, is generally gutted because of it.

A particular thing I''ve noticed throughout his tenure- perhaps not so much in the second half of this season- is that he rarely makes the same mistakes twice. See his two games against Boro last year for proof of that.

I think, given a season with a decent budget and time to bring a few of our bright young things through, he will right the wrongs of this season.[/quote]Frustratingly, I think that''s one thing he hasn''t really done at all this season. 

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Purple, you''re wrong and that tense is definitely wrong.  I transcribed the whole interview myself directly from SSN (pausing and rewinding many times).  The word used was definitely "got".[/quote]I am quoting an interview on the pink un news site from today, which may or may not be the same interview. But in that he is quoted as using the present tense.

i think he just wants assurances before he fully commits. The new ceo will have a massive bearing on this. He obviously feels the board let him down a bit and doesn''t want a repeat.

SSN video - [url]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/norwich-city/10279268/neil-unsure-over-norwich-future[/url]The tense used when referring to his relationship with the owners can be found at 57 seconds.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]SSN video - [url]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/norwich-city/10279268/neil-unsure-over-norwich-future[/url]The tense used when referring to his relationship with the owners can be found at 57 seconds.[/quote]It is a pretty tough Scottish accent, but it does more sound like a "got" rather than a "get", but it doesn''t surprise that it has been transcribed as a "get".But, whatever it is, it is preceded by saying in the present tense how much respect he has (present tense) for the owners. This is someone who is not that fluent or articulate, and I don''t think anything should be read into what is almost certainly just a clumsy use of English.Not referring to this so much, but I have rarely seen so many crackpot predictions and theories here in such a short space of time, based on nothing at all, or in one case based on changing a word in a direct quote to support an entirely different and - of course - doomladen meaning.