Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Is a new CEO really that imperative that soon?

OR, Steve Stone is acting CEO as far as I know, he chaired the meeting. He is/was Financial director so knows the situation as far as transfers and available monies are concerned. Apparently he is quite amiable and is well regarded within the club but I suppose any major financial decision (as I would guess was the same for DM) would be put to the board. Let''s not forget, for all our political persuasions, we have quite an astute Chairman I believe, but that''s a matter of further discussion.

The good news for those employed at the club is that apparently this year there will be no redundancies.

Ron Manager,

I guess the information you have given us tonight answers my original question as far as our board are concerned, no, it is not that imperative that soon.

However, I sincerely hope that addressing our on field activities are considered imperative, insomuch as we take serious steps to strengthen all aspects of the playing side and by that I don''t mean transfers, although they are obviously important, I mean strengthening our scouting abilities, our ability to negotiate in a mutually respectful manner and our coaching abilites (this doesn''t mean we replace AN, just give him the support he needs). Finally, I also sincerely hope we address, as RM put it, the ''culture'' and I have a feeling, like you, that Ed Balls may be the man to head up this review

[quote user="Ray"]Ron Manager,

I guess the information you have given us tonight answers my original question as far as our board are concerned, no, it is not that imperative that soon.

However, I sincerely hope that addressing our on field activities are considered imperative, insomuch as we take serious steps to strengthen all aspects of the playing side and by that I don''t mean transfers, although they are obviously important, I mean strengthening our scouting abilities, our ability to negotiate in a mutually respectful manner and our coaching abilites (this doesn''t mean we replace AN, just give him the support he needs). Finally, I also sincerely hope we address, as RM put it, the ''culture'' and I have a feeling, like you, that Ed Balls may be the man to head up this review[/quote]Balls said when he became chairman he wanted to take a long-term look at the club:“We’ve always been an up-and-down club. We’ve now been in the Premier League for four seasons in five but I don’t think anyone thinks our status is secure. I want to secure the long-term future of Norwich as a top flight club.” He added that part of his work would be to look at a 10-year plan for the Canaries.That may or may not tie in with an idea floated late last year by a senior figure that, because of the way the Premier League was increasingly being dominated by  rich owners, with smaller clubs getting in on the act, that we might have to move away from our homespun funding model. Either way, I believe Balls  is capable of charting a course for the future.

players targeted for transfers and playing staff we already have keep / want to move on

was discussed as soon as the thursday after we were confirmed down

the club is on the ball this year with that at least

now will not having a CEO in place disrupt that i do not know ???

Purple

"That may or may not tie in with an idea floated late last year by a senior figure that, because of the way the Premier League was increasingly being dominated by rich owners, with smaller clubs getting in on the act, that we might have to move away from our homespun funding model. Either way, I believe Balls is capable of charting a course for the future."

I imagine this will be his player finance initiative, or PFI😮

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Ray"]Ron Manager,

However, I sincerely hope that addressing our on field activities are considered imperative, insomuch as we take serious steps to strengthen all aspects of the playing side and by that I don''t mean transfers, although they are obviously important, I mean strengthening our scouting abilities, our ability to negotiate in a mutually respectful manner and our coaching abilites (this doesn''t mean we replace AN, just give him the support he needs). Finally, I also sincerely hope we address, as RM put it, the ''culture'' and I have a feeling, like you, that Ed Balls may be the man to head up this review[/quote]Balls said when he became chairman he wanted to take a long-term look at the club:“We’ve always been an up-and-down club. We’ve now been in the Premier League for four seasons in five but I don’t think anyone thinks our status is secure. I want to secure the long-term future of Norwich as a top flight club.” He added that part of his work would be to look at a 10-year plan for the Canaries.That may or may not tie in with an idea floated late last year by a senior figure that, because of the way the Premier League was increasingly being dominated by  rich owners, with smaller clubs getting in on the act, that we might have to move away from our homespun funding model. Either way, I believe Balls  is capable of charting a course for the future.[/quote]

So in reality a non payed chairman, with no experience of chairing any company, never mind not having no experience in football is expected to come up with a ten year plan?

six months ago those who champoined Balls gave some vague reasons with his education and rich contacts, yet in reality in the six months since Bowkett gone, we have been relegated, won just three games in 18, lost McNally with a unanimous board and going into end of May with an hired expert looking to find a new CEO. Looking at our boards history on using external agents it has yielded nothing in investment, really, why not just do what will no doubt happen and promote from within from day one.

Will not having a CEO in place have an effect on transfers? Might, might not none of us know how it''s going inside that board room, but it''s not great and it should not be used as an excuse should we have another poor transfer window.

It''s a very important season and we go into it with so many variables and up against the toughest Championship in recent times, Villa and Newcastle are the big guns and there are other clubs who will no doubt be pushing all the way.

Unlike those normal older generation of fans on here who see everything this board does as fantastic, I''ve yet to see anything Balls has actually done in his 6 months, nothing positive.

AN will need all the support from every aspect and I don''t see anything but a slow reacting older board who lack the knowledge and drive to push this great club onto the next level, but won''t relinquish control over the club, no gamble on external influences or investment.

Maybe a call to Roy again, after all he''s the one who pointed out McNally.....

Indy,

A couple of points, from his appointment to our relegation was in effect 4 months and imo he certainly has done something positive, he unified the Board to accept a certain resignation and is working incredibly hard to ensure our future, why wouldn''t he, he is after all a lifelong fan.

When will people realise that the chairman is a figurehead, a sort of P. R. post. the real driving force is the C.E.O. And the sooner one is appointed the better.

I can accept that the board are unified as Bowkett and McNally were not first choice more a requirement of circumstance, but they were a driving force, where Balls might be a fan, but is just a high profile friend, now I''m pretty sure he won''t challenge things too hard as he''s not going to upset the apple cart is he?

I''m still waiting to judge how things go this summer and where we are in two months.

[quote user="Felixfan"]When will people realise that the chairman is a figurehead, a sort of P. R. post. the real driving force is the C.E.O. And the sooner one is appointed the better.[/quote]Because that isn''t necessarily true, and I very much doubt it is going to be with Ed Balls. In terms of day to day affairs the chief executive is the driving force, and the sooner we have one appointed the better, but the chairman can make of that job what they wish. Anyone who thinks Balls is going to be a glorified PR seriously under-estimates him. He isn''t yet 50 years old and he has apparently given up any idea of returning to politics. So there is quite enough intellectual energy there to devote a fair bit to Norwich City and its future.

Indy,

He challenged quite hard re the resignation and as Purple points out a Chairman can be very active and furthermore, in many organisations the Chairman and the CEO is the same person. My opinion is that if he needs to upset apple carts, he will.

It is imperative as AN has stated he wants to offer players new contracts (Dorrans and O''Neil) and Norwich will need to start approaching new players asap.

I''d rather have someone at the club who has experience in contract/transfer negotiations and dealing with agents than a man who is use to dealing with the cash flow of a bingo chain.

If Norwich don''t get it sorted soon there is a real risk of losing players like Gary O''Neil and losing out on potential transfers.

[quote user="Ray"]Indy,

He challenged quite hard re the resignation and as Purple points out a Chairman can be very active and furthermore, in many organisations the Chairman and the CEO is the same person. My opinion is that if he needs to upset apple carts, he will.[/quote]

How do you know how hard he challenged? Was it really a blessing in disguise for Ed Balls, the one person who still challenged the clubs board?

I assume like the rest of us all we know is the little in the press unless purple was there on the board!

Bethnal like you I see this as an issue and have raised the same question on various threads.

Someone said the board have got an external guy looking for a suitable replacement, well that''s going to take a good few weeks, like last years excuse that we had to wait till the playoff before signing players put us behind our promoted rivals, now we are only a week away from the same time as last year and no one who is in place to move on players and contracts.

It''s a mess and one which could have been easy to negate by rejecting McNally''s I midwater resignation until a suitable replacement was put in place.

Just the way I see things I might well be wrong, but it''s also not great attraction to players agents when they don''t have contacts they are used to dealing with.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It is imperative as AN has stated he wants to offer players new contracts (Dorrans and O''Neil) and Norwich will need to start approaching new players asap.

I''d rather have someone at the club who has experience in contract/transfer negotiations and dealing with agents than a man who is use to dealing with the cash flow of a bingo chain.

If Norwich don''t get it sorted soon there is a real risk of losing players like Gary O''Neil and losing out on potential transfers.[/quote]

What''s your view on replacing some of the fringe players and Redders with Murphy twins, Maddison & Thompson next year, are they good enough to make that step, all of them are now at an age they need to push on. I''d like to see us give these guys a squad place.

Indy,

You can read whatever you like into my posts, but I wouldn''t say something unless I knew there was more than a ring of truth about it.

Once a CEO has resigned and the resignation is accepted, although an acceptance is not required, he/she really has to go immediately, it is far too risky for them to stay, we could leave ourselves wide open.

Re your point about it "not being a great attraction to players'' agents when they don''t have contacts they are used to dealing with", whilst I cannot speak for all agents, my feeling is that on this particular ocassion they will be delighted.

All that said, I agree ''things''do need to be put in place, as per my original post.

With all senior appointments (which this is certainly one of considering the salary McNally was on) then companies will pretty much always use external companies, a.k.a recruitment consultants, to find them the right person.

It will of course take time but I don''t think forcing McNally to stay would have been the correct thing to do also.

Unlike the previous season Norwich know which league they will be in and what budget they will have so it isn''t such a delay as something like the playoff final. The key difference this season is Darnborough and Spearing are in place and should have a list of targets already.

As for agents, even if they were going directly to McNally before, they can now go directly to Stone. I don''t think agents really care who they are speaking to if they think there is a chance of getting their player a move.

What is the concern though is making sure Norwich are competitive and active in those negotiations. Norwich will be in a pool with 8 - 10 other clubs going for a limited selection of players, hanging around too long could be costly.

Maybe Stone or Balls were closely involved in contract negotiations alongside McNally and know how to work them - in which case Norwich may not be hugely disadvantaged. But they could also have no idea of the finer details.

AN obviously has his part to play as well and hopefully the season in the Prem has given him valuable experience in trying to get players to sign. It is clear that last summer, and to a lessor extent last January, Norwich were having difficulty convincing players to sign - even after fees had been agreed with clubs.

Whilst I agree generally CEO once resign go on gardening leave, but that''s because they are normally moving companies....my company CEO resigned and stayed for two months until she was replaced, so it does happen.

As for football let''s be honest it''s a different entity to anything any of us are used to, it''s not like any other business.

As for your integrity, I''ve no doubt you are as honest as the next guy, but we were never in any meetings held so all of us take info from press, people like Purple and form our views.

So let''s move on to agree the sooner the CEO is appointed the better, but it has o be someone with experience in Football and it''s dealings, not another Ed Balls best mate appointment.

[quote user="Indy"]Whilst I agree generally CEO once resign go on gardening leave, but that''s because they are normally moving companies....my company CEO resigned and stayed for two months until she was replaced, so it does happen.

As for football let''s be honest it''s a different entity to anything any of us are used to, it''s not like any other business.

Indy,

As for your integrity, I''ve no doubt you are as honest as the next guy, but we were never in any meetings held so all of us take info from press, people like Purple and form our views.

So let''s move on to agree the sooner the CEO is appointed the better, but it has o be someone with experience in Football and it''s dealings, not another Ed Balls best mate appointment.[/quote]

Indy,

My views are not limited to any other views on here or the press.

Re the new CEO having to have experience in football and its dealings, we disagree, that''s not to say experience in football wouldn''t be welcomed, but many CEO''s go from one sector of business to a completely new and differing one, it is possible that their experience as a CEO is the most important factor.

If that were the case, then this person would need to learn quickly and I would suggest if they were of the calibre to be considered they would certainly have that ability. It may also mean we need to strengthen our expertise in that area but this does not have to be the CEO imo. Top CEO''s make sure they have the right team around them to get the job done, so whilst I agree the sooner the better, my feelings are this will take a while and therefore those that are here need to be acting quickly and decisively to ensure we are in the correct position to conduct our transfer dealings.

[quote user="Ray"]Baywing,

Yes I agree but we have an interim CEO who is steeped in financial knowledge and experience, so it is covered for now. The point I am making is that before we even get to contract negotiations we need to identify the right management/management support and players and that does not/should not come from a CEO.[/quote]

Identifying the right players comes from the manager. Its then up to the CEO to do the deal with the other club and then with the player and his agent.

The CEO shouldnt be identifying the players the club needs.

The CEO might get a call to say x y z is available for 5 million does your manager want them but as for finding players

up to scouts / manager

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I think the ''replacement'' CEO will be an internal appointment......Probably, set in stone......[/quote]

No way!