Sign in to follow this  
Martin Bryant

OT Aston Villa

Just seen Villa saying they will need to make compulsory staff redundancies to balance the books next year.. i think they are implying backroom staff, by that i imagine the admin people earning 20k a year...

this sort of thing infuriates me, get rid of 1 player earning 20k a week or 52 staff earning 20k a year.. simple maths sack the player... but nope :(

rubbish football club.

its such a rubbish "government style" thing.. like when cameron said "we are in this together" with cuts, then all mp''s took an 11% pay rise.

meh. not really sure what my point is, im just annoyed at the way people are screwed over! :))

Thats business, less demand = less staff required, price of failure for such a "big" club. TBF even Hull made quite a number of staff redundant last year, as we did the year previous.

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]Just seen Villa saying they will need to make compulsory staff redundancies to balance the books next year.. i think they are implying backroom staff, by that i imagine the admin people earning 20k a year...

this sort of thing infuriates me, get rid of 1 player earning 20k a week or 52 staff earning 20k a year.. simple maths sack the player... but nope :(

rubbish football club.[/quote]The problem is that they can''t just sack a player. Football contracts don''t work the same way as the admin people earning 20k per year you mention, who will probably have a contracted termination notice period for both employer, and employee.You can''t just terminate a footballer''s employment without either paying his wages out, or transferring him to another club. If they need to cut expenses, they''ll need to evaluate those players and offload them on transfers - something I have no doubt they will do.

Lessingham Canary wrote the following post at 13 Apr 2016 10:08 PM:

Thats business, less demand = less staff required, price of failure for such a "big" club. TBF even Hull made quite a number of staff redundant last year, as we did the year previous.

Sorry LC, but that''s a load of b0ll0cks (said respectfully). The club will be run the same manner in pretty much every aspect in the Chumps as in the PL. Does the Villa have 2x the required staff to be in the PL? Will the players now be responsible for cleaning and mending their club attire, the physio replace by a first aider, stewards replaced by members of Britain First? In fact, how much money will be saved in ''redundant staffing'' when compared to a relegation clause in the player''s contracts? Laying off staff is just another one of big business'' way to say FU to their present and now former workers.

As others have said, we made a number of redundancies as have every other club after relegation. I know logically you are correct, selling or sacking one player could save a large number of jobs - sadly the focus will clearly be to get back into the Prem at the first attempt and therefore keeping the best players will be a must for them. Although after what I''ve seen this season from them, I think they''re going to find it hard to do that with their current squad.

We do that at Norwich OP the players wages are halved if we are relegated.

Unfortunately for teams like Villa they have been in the prem so long ( and probably thought they would be there forever ) that they have not written these type of things into players contracts.

You can assume their new players that they sign will have promotion bonuses and of course relegation clauses.

ELF wrote;

Sorry LC, but that''s a load of b0ll0cks (said respectfully). The club will be run the same manner in pretty much every aspect in the Chumps as in the PL. Does the Villa have 2x the required staff to be in the PL? Will the players now be responsible for cleaning and mending their club attire, the physio replace by a first aider, stewards replaced by members of Britain First? In fact, how much money will be saved in ''redundant staffing'' when compared to a relegation clause in the player''s contracts? Laying off staff is just another one of big business'' way to say FU to their present and now former workers.

But hard facts are, in the PL clubs are expected to have more staff, there is a published guideline they have to meet, that covers everything at all levels, We even made programme sellers redundant last time, had we a lollipop lady, i dare say she would have gone as well.Hard to accept but its all about margins, and when relegated thats where the focus will go, parachute payments won''t last forever.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I wonder whether all those savings that we made with redundancies and wage cuts were enough to cover McNally''s huge 6 figure bonus?[/quote]

👍

Did McNally get a "huge" 6 figure bonus the year we were relegated?

It partly depends on your definition of huge I suppose. I''d call any six figure amount huge if I was given one, but if his total potential bonus was seven figures then it is relatively small. If other CEOs at similar clubs get bigger bonuses then again relatively it is small.

It''s huge, especially given the context.

I know this part has been done to death on here. Is it right that McNally received a bonus at all, given that we were relegated? Yes, yes it could be argued that if it was in his contract....... However, in a season where we were relegated, where I believe that it is difficult for anyone to argue that he, as CEO, didn''t have at least some part to play in a season where mistakes were made both on and off the pitch. Is that right, is that morally right? That in a season that couldn''t be described as anything other than failure, one man is rewarded?

Even within just the above boundaries, it is not right.

It is inevitable that upon relegation cut-backs would need to be made and that this would include redundancies.

However, the most galling point for me is, how many additional people on £20k a year or so, who were in no way to blame for our failure, had to be made redundant in order to cover the cost of the bonus of the CEO who was partly to blame for our failure.

How many families suffered and struggled because of this? Take the two points above, together, and it''s a total disgrace.

i guess companies do this the world over, like BP saying they will have to sack staff because instead of 10billion profit they "only" made a 6billion profit.. such rubbish when its still all profit.

as others have mentioned, the poor voiceless admin/back staff getting sacked so they club can save £50k a YEAR. That same club will probably then put big posters of their players up that cost 20k or something stupid...kinda like my local council did with posters around a building site... no loyalty to the working staff :(