Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

If we sign Mr Naismith

I did not see a lot of on-pitch leadership today. From about 25 minutes the game was crying out for one of our players to try and lead by example.  It didn''t happen.

Making Martin captain was always a failure.

Because he is not an inspiring figure. He does not lead by example. And he always has a mistake or two in him. And now, with Pinto arriving, he will probably face a spell out of the team. If so, a change of captain is needed.

I also remember the fuss under Houghton, with team captain and club captain and all that. Nonsense all of it.

As for Naismith being made captain. that could well be the case, next season. Not this.

I''ve thing Howson is staking a claim, lead by example and he''s not stopped grafting in the last 2 games and deserves to be surrounded by similar...

I must admit I still think Johnson would be making the team if he was here.

It''s interesting that two games running now, Howson has been the player who came out to speak to the media after the match. Fair enough on Wednesday as he scored a screamer, but today too was a bit surprising. Is this his choice, or Neil''s, or Martin''s as captain? Either way, Martin''s on-pitch performances and demeanour do not exude leadership by example at the moment.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]I did not see a lot of on-pitch leadership today. From about 25 minutes the game was crying out for one of our players to try and lead by example.  It didn''t happen.[/quote]

And the reason is: we don''t have many leaders, if any. What we have is a team of relative nice guys. Guys which their mother-in-law loves. No tattoos, no earrings, no swearing, and no dirty tricks.

Gary O´Neil could be the type, but for his stupidity at Stoke. And the captain should be a regular, someone playing week out, week in.

Tettey, maybe, but he is also a rather silent player. He can tackle a bit, roughen a few feathers, etc, but is he inspiring? I don´t think so.

[quote user="grefstad"]No tattoos[/quote]I am fully aware that I am taking this out of context, but this is the best excuse for our shortcomings since that time that old bloke rang into Canary Call and said the reason we were sh*t is because all the players drove flash cars, and if they were all made to drive Nissan Micras then they would be a bit more down-to-earth and therefore better footballers.

Fairly sure you knew it was a metaphor....

Point is, we don''t´ have players with a bit of nastiness in them. Guys that can bring a bit of fire to the team. We only got the good guys. The soft ones.

Not too happy with it.

Maybe time to give Duncan Forbes a ring, hes still only 74, younger than the philosopher. Sure he can do a job for us.

[quote user="grefstad"]Fairly sure you knew it was a metaphor....[/quote]Yes, of course I did. It just reminded me of the crazy old guy who blamed flash cars for our players'' lack of application on matchdays.In seriousness, though, I have more sympathy with the overall work rate argument than I do with the ''nastiness'' argument. Bournemouth don''t have a midfield ''reducer''. Sunderland have Cattermole, and he''s a liability. Leicester don''t have ''nasty'' players per se, but they do have high pressing, pace and overall work-rate. Although I''ve joined in the mockery of your comments about ''kilometres equal points'' (I know that''s not what you said word for word), it does increasingly look like we are happy to conserve energy and sit deeper since the Newcastle match. I think we do need to try to play a bit more on the front foot again now, because the cagier style we have employed recently appears to have stopped working.

FTW "it does increasingly look like we are happy to conserve energy and sit deeper since the Newcastle match. I think we do need to try to play a bit more on the front foot again now, because the cagier style we have employed recently appears to have stopped working"

👍

[quote user="simmo_2"]Please make him captain (or Johnny Howson) because at the moment our captain does not inspire no one[/quote]So, you''re saying he inspires somebody, then? [:S]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="simmo_2"]Please make him captain (or Johnny Howson) because at the moment our captain does not inspire no one[/quote]So, you''re saying he inspires somebody, then? [:S][/quote]We''ve had enough negativity on here tonight already, without you pointing out double negatives...