Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Defensive frailty.

I think results at ALL levels, SENIOR, U21 and YOUTH teams at NCFC indicate defensive frailty. The amount of goals shipped is amazing. Time to get a good defensive coach in IMO? If we are following a certain pattern of technical/tactical training under the guidance of AN and his coaching team, results seem to suggest it isn''t working!

Why would a defensive coach help - is the saying you cant make a silk purse from a pigs ear?

The core of this seasons defence showed precisely the same frailties last season & in the previous relegation season.

Why, after so many seasons together and under a mix of defensive and attacking minded managers, does anyone expect the likes of olsson, martin, whittaker, bassong or bennett to miraculously improve now? They are a narrow bland mix of premier league inconsistent inadequates.

We have whole threads discussing agonising over why the not quite up to it bennett isnt in the team ahead of the not quite good enough bassong/martin etc etc etc. Like it makes a difference.

The manager has given them all pitch time and in just about every possible combination; to a man they have simply repeated previous seasons, both stengths and weaknesses, form (quelle surprise)

Choose four and stick with them before finally spending a summer refreshing them.

Spending money on a defensive coach on this lot? what a waste of money

The end of November and throughout December we seemed to have got the defense sorted, but after Christmas they seem to have forgotten how to do it ! 

Sorry ZLF, but I don''t see the logic to your post. The original post refers to the fact that at ALL team levels throughout the club we are shipping goals. It does not expressly refer to the FIRST team, or ANY first team player(s), or the merits of playing Bennett or any other defender in the first team!

So no, I don''t think spending money on a defensive coach is a waste of money, but it seems clear to me that a defensive coach is needed throughout all levels to bring some stability to ALL the teams, not just the first team!

Not sure I agree with this ZLF.

I was thinking about posting a thread about our next opponent''s defence, but here will do.

On paper they really shouldn''t be any better than ours...

Fuchs free

Morgan 975k Jan 12

Huth 3.75m last summer

Simpson 500k

Schmeichel undisclosed, a while ago

Having conceded a few early on, they had (prior to the Arsenal game) conceded just 2 in seven games. A similar defence last season were quite leaky and Morgan looked a complete liability.

I actually think that quite apparently limited players can be drilled to defend better, as Ranieri has managed to do this season.

I get obviously that defending isn''t just the remit of the defence, and Kante at just £5m looks the buy of the season in helping make Leicester more difficult to beat, but I do think that our defending could be improved on the training ground.

Having lost five out of six games, Southampton have turned their season round with six consecutive clean sheets.

Admittedly Forster is streets ahead of Rudd and Ruddy, and Van Dijk is probably single-handedly better than any defensive combination Norwich can put out, but it is an impressive run which has often seen a switch to three at the back with two wing-backs, so.........

.....watch the videos of Southampton''s last six games and learn how to set up and defend..........

......." three at the back with two wing-backs"............

.....good to see that Alex Neil scours this forum.........

Yet another soft goal given away. It was wonderful to see Martin stand and watch the goal scorer move into position rather than attempt to put a challenge in on him. Mind you the ball shouldn''t have got through in the first place.

Goodness knows how Jerome managed to head wide in the first half. It must take hours of practice on the training ground to display skills like that.

Going down with the City

Dear oh dear what a pity!

Hopefully this will stop the incredibly mentally incompetent to stop whining about Ryan Bennett. He was putrid today, and not even remotely close to the first time this season. Also Klose is looking like the CB equivalent of Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel. These are not good things, need Bassong back and fast.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Yet another soft goal given away. It was wonderful to see Martin stand and watch the goal scorer move into position rather than attempt to put a challenge in on him. Mind you the ball shouldn''t have got through in the first place.

Goodness knows how Jerome managed to head wide in the first half. It must take hours of practice on the training ground to display skills like that.

Going down with the City

Dear oh dear what a pity![/quote]

That goal wasn''t on Martin, champ. Fully Klose and Bennett''s fault. They were both FAR worse than Martin the entire game.

Bennett left the cross allowing it get to their player to score at the far post !

jaemae2, you''re right about mental incompetence !

If we''re playing the blame game for the goal, then it is a catalogue of collective incompetence, rather than any individual contribution.

Tettey made a tired challenge in the midfield and failed to stop the move initially.

Brady gave far too much space to Albrighton, who is possibly the best crosser of a ball in the PL.

Klose find''s ''no man''s land'' like no other Norwich City centre-half before him. He offered absolutely nothing in preventing the attack.

Martin attempted to cut out the cross but couldn''t.

Bennett was probably wrong-footed by the slight flick off Vardy''s foot which prevented him from kicking the ball.

Pinto was probably the most culpable. He was trotting back as the attach developed and should have been busting a gut to mark their last man, Ulloa.

Norwich needed to strengthen their defence in January. Klose and Pinto, so far, seem to have weakened it.