Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

How long can we keep defending Worthy?

It seems perfectly obvious to me that while Worthy is knocked by many on here for his excuses, as soon as a thread is posted about getting shot of him, the same people make excuses for him and defend him to the hilt!

I feel that he should be given another 10 games to turn things about, but if we still cant win by then,  his time should be up.

And before I get knocked:

1: I do not have a short memory! I know what he has done for us, but we need to move forward

2: Docherty! What a signing. Plus others!

3: Character, honesty, chances..........excuses!

4: Players out of position.  Nothing to do with small squad either.

Let the club move forward. Can we risk being another Nottingham Forest or Sheff Wed?

[quote]It seems perfectly obvious to me that while Worthy is knocked by many on here for his excuses, as soon as a thread is posted about getting shot of him, the same people make excuses for him and defend ...[/quote]

Granted Doherty has been a very disappointing signing, however you can only sign someone on what you have seen for their previous club and Doherty has put in some good performances for Spurs in the past! I was quite pleased when Worthy signed him based on past eveidence and have been very surprised by his seeming lack of defensive ability and positioning! I should imagine Worthy''s reaction would be much the same!

I honestly dont think Doherty has been given a fair chance at Norwich. Played up front when he first arrived he was subsequently dropped then brought in to partner Fleming then dropped for inconsistency (something Fleming never has been) anyone playing alongside Fleming would struggle (except Malky) on his present form. Why not play Doherty alongside Shackell for a few games and see if they provide defensive cover sufficient to allow the midfield to move further up the pitch.

One thing that has been consistent since Worthington took over is the midfield play far to deep I would have thought by now he could have sorted this.

Let''s put one or two things into perspective -

1. Worthy steadied the ship, took us to Cardiff and then blew it. Lead 1-0 and decided to withdraw all his attack minded players and subsequently concede,making it impossible to win the game from there.

2. Got lucky with the Share scheme, but then followed it up with an average season missing the play-off''s

3. Our finest season followed but every season throws up the unexpected- we were certainly that.

4. Made a total pig''s ear of a relatively small budget- although others have survived on less than 7 million in recent seasons- and release the back-bone of the squad that got us up in the first place.

5. Failed to win a single away game all season.

6. Still very prone to tactical blunders- going away to Fulham with three up front when 7 had been conceeded in the 2 previous away games was nothing short of criminal. Losing 6-0 deserved a public apology almost.

7. Failure to address the shortcoming''s in the centre of defence and showing little in terms of improving the creative side of our midfield.

8. Pathetic start to this season- inability to change a game has often been evident in recent seasons.

I was very surprised to hear Worthy talk publically about the need for a new centre-back. I wouldn''t have thought going public with it does a great deal for the morale of the other defenders at the club. I also don''t see this as the priority position. The problems are in centre midfield, with only Safri looking good enough. I just hope the Sidwell rumours have some truth in them...   

would that be the same sidwell playing for high flying reading.
no hope hucktastic on that one. some good points by the way
ipyellows, makes for some interesting thinking.

Well said IP.  Thing is, he has done a ''not so bad job'',  and cheers Worthy, but there is only so much patience and time that you can give a person, especially when you know that we could achieve so much more with a more passionate, tactically braver type of manager.

We have some great players here now (and some donkeys), but we need to add to the pool with more great players, not players who shone for Reading (Which cant be too hard can it!).  What we really need is players with prem experience, maybe players with a couple of years left in the tank, but even so, players to come in and help us consolidate our position, whilst at the same time teach lesser players a few tricks or two and bring the younger ones on.

Good post, IPYellow.

You have clearly stated many of the reasons why Worthington''s management should be questioned. A manager''s responsibility is to produce acceptable results, if he does not do so then he is accountable for that failure.

There are far too many issues on which Worthington has failed and he shows little or no evidence of improving in those areas.

As far as this season is concerned he is failing.  We cannot afford to wait until January to see how matters are then. If he has not turned matters around within the next 4 games he should go before it is too late. If he does turn matters around and we are within say 3 points of a top 2 place then he has done his job - no more, no less.