Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Has the penny dropped?

Agree with many of the posts on here. I also agree with those that said there is no point in sacking Hughton at the moment - I think that is likely to cause more problems than it solves. It''s not as if we have never played well under him and thats partly the frustration, you feel it is within us. Having said that he does need to take an honest look at himself and what we''re doing at the moment. Just like your looking for any player to keep on improving as he gets older and his experience grows, you also want a manager to be able to evolve and hone his management, understanding and vision of the game. Thats the disappointing thing, that there are some fundamental things in our style of play (particularly away from home) that have just not been working, and yet we just keep doing the same thing. I still think its a question of evolution rather than revolution at the moment, but we need to start that process and the sooner the better.

[quote user="lake district canary"]We still don''t  have the right balance between attack and defence away from home, but the obsession with tactics being "negative" is not helpful imo.  Its not just me saying it, but it  is up to the players to step up and hold the ball better, pass it better and just get more control over the ball.   If they can do that, Hughton''s tactics will not appear negative in the least, as we will be able to put more pressure on opposing teams as a result.  We know they can do it, but its easier said than done and it could just be that with a bit more confidence they will start to do that more.[/quote]1. If the players can''t play to the manager''s system, the manager and coaches need to take a look and revisit the game plan.  Yesterday was all too reminiscent of games last season and the cry then was "wait until Hughton brings his own players in."  He has, and we still look like a team that doesn''t know what it''s doing away from home.2. If the players still can''t pass the ball or hold the ball, Hughton hasn''t spent the money well or the players aren''t understanding what the manager and coaches are telling them to do. 3. Confidence in the system has to come from the manager and the coaches.  All roads lead back to the point that the players don''t seem to understand exactly what the plan is away from home, or be able to execute the plan, and this hasn''t changed since the second half of last season.  This season, we''ve seen it at Hull and we''ve seen it at Spurs.Something has to change and fast.

Yes Ruddy was quite critical of the players sitting to deep. What he didn''t make clear was whether that was because of the players or the manager. I took it as a bit of a criticism of the players but I guess it could be either or both. Make of it what you will I think we are stuck with this system home and away so it will be a long season.

The players have to take some criticism for yesterday''s performance, it was the same team that played pretty well against Southampton. Apart from Bassong who I thought was very good, none of them played well, including the number 1, there is a collective responsibility here that needs to be shared if things are to improve away from home. I don''t like to see this sort of criticism from players after a game, get behind closed doors and sort it out!

Mr C, I don''t think comparing performances against Hull & Spurs is valid. Hull got very lucky, but we were also very poor all round.

Against Spurs we were simply overwhelmed. Also too many players had an off day (Snodgrass, Ruddy, BJ, Garrido to name a few) which left the rest looking poor because they had too much to do against a top team.

I do agree, however, that the buck stops at the management - providing he is allowed to manage, which he has been.

It''s very early days & I believe (& hope) he can sort it out. Let''s see how it''s going after another few games.

No surprise to me!

I''ve said a while now that had to spend the money we did in the summer JUST to have a chance of finishing in a similar lower mid table position we have enjoyed the previous 2 seasons!

As for Spurs away yesterday, yes Hughton could of done the subs earlier and gave bigmoney prolific scorer Hooper a run but it was a ceas of too many players didn''t turn up yesterday and compete rather than negative tactic thats were our biggest downfalls yesterday. It seemed like the players had a big session on Friday night cause most of them were very lack lustre!

Being realisitc, being what we are which is at best a mid table side, we''re going to lose games especially to serious top 4 contenders Spurs but I know if the players would have competed more, made it more difficult for Spurs, even without playing our best football, we could have snatched a draw yesterday!

I expect changes next Saturday!

[quote user="ron obvious"]Mr C, I don''t think comparing performances against Hull & Spurs is valid. Hull got very lucky, but we were also very poor all round.

Against Spurs we were simply overwhelmed. Also too many players had an off day (Snodgrass, Ruddy, BJ, Garrido to name a few) which left the rest looking poor because they had too much to do against a top team.

I do agree, however, that the buck stops at the management - providing he is allowed to manage, which he has been.

It''s very early days & I believe (& hope) he can sort it out. Let''s see how it''s going after another few games.[/quote]Yes, the comparison may be unfair.My concern is that last season I was one of those in the "give Hughton the benefit of the doubt"camp, with the belief that our game plans were borne from necessity and with "his" players and a number of upgrades over the summer, we might see something more progressive.  Not buckaneering or reckless, just a better balance of attack and defence.So far I see no sign of any change in policy, and it concerns me.  If we are going to play the same way with better players, and the system we use acts to neutralises those players (RvW), we are on a hiding to nothing.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ron obvious"]Mr C, I don''t think comparing performances against Hull & Spurs is valid. Hull got very lucky, but we were also very poor all round.

It''s very early days & I believe (& hope) he can sort it out. Let''s see how it''s going after another few games.[/quote]Yes, the comparison may be unfair.My concern is that last season I was one of those in the "give Hughton the benefit of the doubt"camp, with the belief that our game plans were borne from necessity and with "his" players and a number of upgrades over the summer, we might see something more progressive.  Not buckaneering or reckless, just a better balance of attack and defence.So far I see no sign of any change in policy, and it concerns me.  If we are going to play the same way with better players, and the system we use acts to neutralises those players (RvW), we are on a hiding to nothing.[/quote]Must admit. I feel the same. I was always of the belief Hughton was doing what he was doing to ensure we stayed in the league last season.I presumed (away from home especially) we would see significant changes this season.Only 2 games in though. One against a promoted side (even with 10men) and another against a top rated Spurs side.Think we need a few more away days before we can make a decent enough assessment.

[quote user="JF"]The sad reality is we were beaten before 3pm with our mindset, as I and others have said, its not about the defeat, its the manner of it and the acceptence of it that bothers me. 2-0 down and I would expectc to see our new center forward given a chance to get us back in the game, what did we get? Howson and Tettey! Says it all for me.[/quote]

I was amazed that Hooper wasnt given any time.

[quote user="JF"]The sad reality is we were beaten before 3pm with our mindset, as I and others have said, its not about the defeat, its the manner of it and the acceptence of it that bothers me. 2-0 down and I would expectc to see our new center forward given a chance to get us back in the game, what did we get? Howson and Tettey! Says it all for me.[/quote]

I was amazed that Hooper wasnt given any time.