Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Gunn Club

I can''t pretend that I know Bryan Gunn but I have met him a couple of times. He was friendly, warm and always made time for you. Despite the fact I was a complete stranger and he must of had loads of people coming up to him with exactly the same line of conversation. I must say that all the comments I have seen from people within the game seem to reflect this view. He appears to be universally popular and liked. I can only admire and respect his character for the mental strength he showed in coping with the death of his daughter Francesca. I do not have kids of my own but I can only imagine how awful and devastating it is to outlive your own children. He has channelled a great personal tragedy into something which now helps people throughout Norfolk to deal with similar issues. For me that is an inspirational story.

As for Bryan Gunn the footballer. There is no doubt he was cracking footballer for Norwich. He was integral part of the best period of history. He joined in 1986 and maintained exceptionally high standards for around a decade. He also did have a tendency to produce the big saves when they really mattered. Who can ever forget that one against Valencia against Bayern from point blank range that preserved our lead? His leadership and organisation skills were also immensely underrated. If he hadn''t got injured in 1995 I am certain we would not have spent nearly a decade in the wilderness before returning to the Premiership. Such was his influence.  His standards did drop during the 96/97 season onwards but that shouldn''t take the gloss off what was an fabulous career for Norwich.

Sadly whatever way you dress the situation help Bryan Gunn the manager was a complete disaster. Ultimately he had 19 games in which to save us from relegation. He failed to achieve that - albeit with a very poor squad. Sadly it was evident that the team were disorganised and a change needed to be made in League One. I don''t blame him for trying. Any person who gets the opportunity to manage Norwich City is incredibly fortunate because of how well supported the club is and what it means to the local community. He was desperate to try management and clearly felt the opportunity may never come around again. The board also have to take their share of the blame for appointing him when a more experienced head was required at that time.

When you weigh all of that up for me Bryan Gunn is still a legend. I accept that to the younger generation of fan his reputation is some what tainted. But he contributed to some of the best times in the club''s history. Times I don''t think Norwich City fans will ever see again because of the way the landscape of modern football has totally changed. He has also been a fabulous ambassador for Norwich City and Norfolk. I would definitely keep the Gunn club as it. There will be opportunities to (quite rightly) recognise the contribution that Grant Holt made to Norwich in the future as well but they shouldn''t be at the expense who has done so much for my city and county that I am so proud to say I am from.

Apologies for the size of the post. Just wanted to put my two pennies worth in.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Well, sorry for being much younger than you both. [:P][/quote]

No need to apologise, Chops. As Cat Stevens put it, some years ago:Just relax, take it easy. You''re still young, that''s your fault, There''s so much you have to know.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

So i think the club should make a refreshing change!!

[/quote]

Trolling binner. It would make a refreshing change if you were to go somewhere else in a hurry.

[/quote]

Ha Ha is that all your''ve got, calling me a binner, you were probably still in Nappies when Gunn was a player, all im stating that Gunn was an average keep and the Gunn Club should be re-named, becauuse the club would attract more fans if they re-vamped it, dont for get that every Valencia Save there was a Ullathorne back pass waiting to happen, Average keeper simple as you!!

[/quote]

And I''m afraid you don''t even make the status of average sonny. I had seen Kevin Keelan play 100 times before your mam had even given thought to your first nappy.

[/quote]

Who is sonny, is that the hedgehog little kids like you play with nowadys!!

[/quote]

Sorry, you''ve lost me there. Your outstanding intellect is obviously far too much for me to cope with.

[/quote]

Thought so, Knew you were thick as sh*t!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

[/quote]

Trolling binner. It would make a refreshing change if you were to go somewhere else in a hurry.

[/quote]

Ha Ha is that all your''ve got, calling me a binner, you were probably still in Nappies when Gunn was a player, all im stating that Gunn was an average keep and the Gunn Club should be re-named, becauuse the club would attract more fans if they re-vamped it, dont for get that every Valencia Save there was a Ullathorne back pass waiting to happen, Average keeper simple as you!!

[/quote]

And I''m afraid you don''t even make the status of average sonny. I had seen Kevin Keelan play 100 times before your mam had even given thought to your first nappy.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry, you''ve lost me there. Your outstanding intellect is obviously far too much for me to cope with.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s pretty rich from someone with an IQ somewhat less than his shoe size. T****r.

[quote user="jedi"]Oh my old mate Zema intellectual genius.[/quote]

You recognise the "quality" as well.

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You see that stuff passing over your head at about 40 feet? It''s called sarcasm. Just look it up Brain of Britain.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You see that stuff passing over your head at about 40 feet? It''s called sarcasm. Just look it up Brain of Britain.

[/quote]

Way past your bed time to be posting that late on here, good morning little kid!!

I thought it was only the Inner Circle who were allowed to bicker and derail threads ?[;)]

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Way past your bed time to be posting that late on here, good morning little kid!!

[/quote]

Little kid ? If only you knew sonny !

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I thought it was only the Inner Circle who were allowed to bicker and derail threads ?[;)][/quote]

No, it also happens when trolling scummers are identified.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Well, sorry for being much younger than you both. [:P][/quote]

No need to apologise, Chops. As Cat Stevens put it, some years ago:Just relax, take it easy. You''re still young, that''s your fault, There''s so much you have to know.

[/quote]That was Boyzone, wasn''t it?

So we all agree on rebranding the Gunn Club? No wait! We shouldn''t rebrand?

This thread highlights everything that is wrong with this site. 6 pages of bickering and character destroying with about two posts in real reference to the initial suggestion. Which in reality was just a barbed dig at Gunn.

Now someone has put this thread back on topic following the Cat (Stevens) Fight:

Although I will always remember Gunn as a club legend for his services to the club over many years in many different roles, some of which during very testing personal circumstances I feel there are other great servants of the club that have yet to be properly recognised in such a way.

Just a players ball skills are not the only criteria when it comes to legend status.

For example I remember my favourite player as a child was Dale Gordon, not because of any goals he scored but because of the excitement involved in one of his many shot from outside the area which you could see coming a mile off, but still has no idea whether they would be an absolute screamer or clear the river end.

Anyway, I would welcome a change of branding to the Gunn Club. It has paid Mr Gunn its tribute. Now maybe it could give tribute to Goss, Drury or maybe even Fleck.

Under no circumstance should they brand it around Peter Mendham

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I thought it was only the Inner Circle who were allowed to bicker and derail threads ?[;)][/quote]

[/quote]

Ha Ha Scummer, that is so naughty of you to call me that

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Ha Ha Scummer, that is so naughty of you to call me that[/quote]

The scummers were all predicting we''d be relegated last season and you did line up beside them zemas.[:S]

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know I was referring to you?

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know I was referring to you?

[/quote]

Showing your age now!!