Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Gunn Club

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

So i think the club should make a refreshing change!!

[/quote]

Trolling binner. It would make a refreshing change if you were to go somewhere else in a hurry.

Scottlarock. Your opinion of Gunn is your own and you''re entitled to it. I do however find it offensive to call this man an ''obnoxious idiot''.

I have have the pleasure of meeting Gunny away from the club a few times, and also with work related projects. The guy is one of the nicest blokes I''ve ever met. He''s somebody who was very committed to the club and would only ever have made decisions which would benefit it. Unfortunately the club gave the controls of a runaway train to a man who didn''t know how to drive it, but that''s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. At the time all parties would have believed it was the correct decision.

However this does not change how I view Gunny. He was a fantastic ''keeper for us, one of the best in our history. And as a man he always struck me as a top bloke. Whenever we spoke, we spoke as equals. Maybe there''s another side to him I don''t know, but he must keep it very well hidden.

I say keep the Gunn Lounge''s name the same.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]

........ I knew BG before I worked for the club, during and after. Before working for the club I knew BG and Sue as very regular customers and friends - in fact I had Angus in my arms a few weeks after he was born. 

[/quote]

Well, if that is the case, the old adage of "with friends like you, who needs enemies" could not have rung more true!

You claim to have been friends yet publicly castigate him to people you don''t even know? Maybe he didn''t like your type of "friendship" and moved on, maybe you didn''t like that and hence your bitterness?

[quote user="Jonzey"]

He''s somebody who was very committed to the club and would only ever have made decisions which would benefit it. Unfortunately the club gave the controls of a runaway train to a man who didn''t know how to drive it, but that''s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. At the time all parties would have believed it was the correct decision.

[/quote]

The responsibility for mistakenly (not hindsight on my part) appointing and mistakenly re-appointing Gun rests entirely with the board. However if what I have highlighted is true then Gunn should not have demanded to be kept on in the job after relegation. That was pure ego at work.

Good but not great goalkeeper.

Yes, he might love the club but he might also know that you don''t bite the hand that feeds you.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The responsibility for mistakenly (not hindsight on my part) appointing and mistakenly re-appointing Gun rests entirely with the board. However if what I have highlighted is true then Gunn should not have demanded to be kept on in the job after relegation. That was pure ego at work.

[/quote]

That''s just speculation PC, you can never know that. Personally I do agree he should have stepped down the day of relegation, in fact he should never have been given the job and I said so at the time. But after the horror show of Roeder any other choice was the right one.

I just cannot condone slagging off the man on a personal basis after so many years doing a great job behind the scenes, after his charity work, and after I know for a fact he''s a really nice bloke. He really is a NCFC great, both on and off the pitch.

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

That''s just speculation PC, you can never know that. Personally I do agree he should have stepped down the day of relegation, in fact he should never have been given the job and I said so at the time. But after the horror show of Roeder any other choice was the right one.

I just cannot condone slagging off the man on a personal basis after so many years doing a great job behind the scenes, after his charity work, and after I know for a fact he''s a really nice bloke. He really is a NCFC great, both on and off the pitch.

[/quote]

It is not pure speculation. It is an obvious assessment of the facts. He had shown he was no good at the job (as you agree), which was no surprise, since he had displayed no interest in management, and had not done any serious work towards being a coach, let alone a manager. Our performances got worse the longer he was in charge. To want to carry on was a perfect example of ego over-riding common sense. I can''t  now find it but after relegation he did say he wanted to carry on in order to restore his reputation.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

[/quote]

Trolling binner. It would make a refreshing change if you were to go somewhere else in a hurry.

[/quote]

Ha Ha is that all your''ve got, calling me a binner, you were probably still in Nappies when Gunn was a player, all im stating that Gunn was an average keep and the Gunn Club should be re-named, becauuse the club would attract more fans if they re-vamped it, dont for get that every Valencia Save there was a Ullathorne back pass waiting to happen, Average keeper simple as you!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It is not pure speculation. It is an obvious assessment of the facts. He had shown he was no good at the job (as you agree), which was no surprise, since he had displayed no interest in management, and had not done any serious work towards being a coach, let alone a manager. Our performances got worse the longer he was in charge. To want to carry on was a perfect example of ego over-riding common sense. I can''t  now find it but after relegation he did say he wanted to carry on in order to restore his reputation.[/quote]

He actually made his position clear BEFORE we were relegated Purple.........

"Bryan Gunn has confirmed for the first time that he wants to remain in the Norwich City hot seat - even if the club is relegated to League One.

Gunn says his ambition is to lead his club out for an Old Farm derby against old foe Roy Keane, Ipswich''s newly-installed manager.

The Canaries legend was appointed in January following the sacking of Glenn Roeder, but took the job only until the end of the season, along with assistant Ian Butterworth and coach Ian Crook.

But in his press conference on Saturday morning ahead of the vital seasonal home finale against Reading on Monday night, Gunn confirmed for the first time that he wanted to carry on the role.

“I am manager of the football club and I would hope to be manager of the football club next season as well,” he said.

And if City are relegated?

“I still want the job. I''d want the job no matter what,” he added.

“It''s a great job, and it''s a great club, to be given the job in the first place was the proudest moment of my football career.”

Continuing the rivalry with Ipswich - and Keane - clearly a big incentive.

“Definitely, that''d be great,” said Gunn.

“I think obviously that was big news in the region and the great thing for Norwich City is we can be playing against them next season and competing against their whatever it may be investment and the influx of new players they will no doubt have and the budget he will be playing with. So my hope is I will be coming up against him.

“That will be my ambition over the next two games, to give us the best opportunity so we can be doing things like that, coming up against the, in the Old Farm derby. Leicester City coming up is another regional game, and who knows Peterborough and MK Dons might be two others.

“That''s my ambition - to be managing in the Championship".

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/sport/gunn_i_want_job_full_time_1_498602

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha Ha is that all your''ve got, calling me a binner, you were probably still in Nappies when Gunn was a player, all im stating that Gunn was an average keep and the Gunn Club should be re-named, becauuse the club would attract more fans if they re-vamped it, dont for get that every Valencia Save there was a Ullathorne back pass waiting to happen, Average keeper simple as you!!

[/quote]

And I''m afraid you don''t even make the status of average sonny. I had seen Kevin Keelan play 100 times before your mam had even given thought to your first nappy.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

Scottlarock. Your opinion of Gunn is your own and you''re entitled to it. I do however find it offensive to call this man an ''obnoxious idiot''.

I have have the pleasure of meeting Gunny away from the club a few times, and also with work related projects. The guy is one of the nicest blokes I''ve ever met. He''s somebody who was very committed to the club and would only ever have made decisions which would benefit it. Unfortunately the club gave the controls of a runaway train to a man who didn''t know how to drive it, but that''s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. At the time all parties would have believed it was the correct decision.

However this does not change how I view Gunny. He was a fantastic ''keeper for us, one of the best in our history. And as a man he always struck me as a top bloke. Whenever we spoke, we spoke as equals. Maybe there''s another side to him I don''t know, but he must keep it very well hidden.

I say keep the Gunn Lounge''s name the same.

[/quote]
If you are ''offended'' by me calling him an obnoxious idiot - best you delete your account and don''t come back to this board -there are far worse opinions and posts. I found him obnoxious personally and professionally. You may have needed hindsight to see the errors when appointing him - there are many who didn''t and knew at the time. As purple has already mentioned - ego - can be the only reason for his pronouncements and actions at the time - certainly NOT the best interests of the club.
Maybe you did speak as equals? - I can only surmise, equal idiocy levels..
Gunn Club - rename it please.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It is not pure speculation. It is an obvious assessment of the facts. He had shown he was no good at the job (as you agree), which was no surprise, since he had displayed no interest in management, and had not done any serious work towards being a coach, let alone a manager. Our performances got worse the longer he was in charge. To want to carry on was a perfect example of ego over-riding common sense. I can''t  now find it but after relegation he did say he wanted to carry on in order to restore his reputation.[/quote]

He actually made his position clear BEFORE we were relegated Purple.........

"Bryan Gunn has confirmed for the first time that he wants to remain in the Norwich City hot seat - even if the club is relegated to League One.

Gunn says his ambition is to lead his club out for an Old Farm derby against old foe Roy Keane, Ipswich''s newly-installed manager.

The Canaries legend was appointed in January following the sacking of Glenn Roeder, but took the job only until the end of the season, along with assistant Ian Butterworth and coach Ian Crook.

But in his press conference on Saturday morning ahead of the vital seasonal home finale against Reading on Monday night, Gunn confirmed for the first time that he wanted to carry on the role.

“I am manager of the football club and I would hope to be manager of the football club next season as well,” he said.

And if City are relegated?

“I still want the job. I''d want the job no matter what,” he added.

“It''s a great job, and it''s a great club, to be given the job in the first place was the proudest moment of my football career.”

Continuing the rivalry with Ipswich - and Keane - clearly a big incentive.

“Definitely, that''d be great,” said Gunn.

“I think obviously that was big news in the region and the great thing for Norwich City is we can be playing against them next season and competing against their whatever it may be investment and the influx of new players they will no doubt have and the budget he will be playing with. So my hope is I will be coming up against him.

“That will be my ambition over the next two games, to give us the best opportunity so we can be doing things like that, coming up against the, in the Old Farm derby. Leicester City coming up is another regional game, and who knows Peterborough and MK Dons might be two others.

“That''s my ambition - to be managing in the Championship".

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/sport/gunn_i_want_job_full_time_1_498602

[/quote]

Thanks, lapps. I had seen that quote, in a brief search. But it was this interview after relegation, where he emphasised that he wanted to stay on to restore his reputation, that I was using to back up my specific point about ego being a driving force in Gunn''s mind. The obvious contrast is with Peter Grant, who realised he wasn''t up to management, and quit.

[quote user="TIL 1010"] LDC. You start numerous threads giving your slant or opinion on everything which is fine but when anybody does not agree with your take on things or posts an alternative view you then bang on and on and on and on for page after page after page trying to convince us all that you are always right and everybody has got it wrong. It has to be your way or no way over everything on here and quite frankly whilst appreciating that we all have our faults you just cannot see yours and are a pain. Now be a good chap and don''t retort with your usual bullying and victim nonsense just for the once. Sorry to hijack the thread to those who wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of the Gunn Club.[/quote]I too am sorry to have to resort to replying to a post which has nothing to do with the thread, but I will defend myself against stuck up posts like this one.  Twisted, distorting the meaning of what I write. I am not always right, but you carry on thinking what you like. But : I HAVE AN OPINION AND AM ENTITLED TO EXPRESS IT. Get used to it.  I''ve done nothing more than express my opinion on this thread. Now leave the thread alone to people who want to comment on it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is not pure speculation. It is an obvious assessment of the facts. He had shown he was no good at the job (as you agree), which was no surprise, since he had displayed no interest in management, and had not done any serious work towards being a coach, let alone a manager. Our performances got worse the longer he was in charge. To want to carry on was a perfect example of ego over-riding common sense. I can''t  now find it but after relegation he did say he wanted to carry on in order to restore his reputation.

[/quote]

Purple is quite right, it was ego over-riding common sense. Whilst I accept he was trying to restore his reputation, I think his motivation was much more than a selfish desire to regain his previous glory,there was surely a very strong desire to get the club back on its feet. He was wrong but I suspect that most of us would have done the same thing in his situation. What got me was a broadcast interview with Gunn and his management team at the end of the season, the question was something along the lines of "well what will you do different next season to turn things around?" The lack of a constructive answer from any of the three was enough to toll the bell!

[quote user="Canarygirl"]What got me was a broadcast interview with Gunn and his management team at the end of the season, the question was something along the lines of "well what will you do different next season to turn things around?" The lack of a constructive answer from any of the three was enough to toll the bell![/quote]

Looking back, that interview seems quite amusing now........

http://unprofessionalfoul.com/2009/08/07/moving-forward-bryan-gunn-interview/

[quote user="Canarygirl"]What got me was a broadcast interview with Gunn and his management team at the end of the season, the question was something along the lines of "well what will you do different next season to turn things around?" The lack of a constructive answer from any of the three was enough to toll the bell![/quote]

[/quote]

A great find, lapps.

[/quote]

Thanks Lappin

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"] LDC. You start numerous threads giving your slant or opinion on everything which is fine but when anybody does not agree with your take on things or posts an alternative view you then bang on and on and on and on for page after page after page trying to convince us all that you are always right and everybody has got it wrong. It has to be your way or no way over everything on here and quite frankly whilst appreciating that we all have our faults you just cannot see yours and are a pain. Now be a good chap and don''t retort with your usual bullying and victim nonsense just for the once. Sorry to hijack the thread to those who wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of the Gunn Club.[/quote]

I too am sorry to have to resort to replying to a post which has nothing to do with the thread, but I will defend myself against stuck up posts like this one.  Twisted, distorting the meaning of what I write. I am not always right, but you carry on thinking what you like. But : I HAVE AN OPINION AND AM ENTITLED TO EXPRESS IT.

Get used to it.  I''ve done nothing more than express my opinion on this thread.

Now leave the thread alone to people who want to comment on it.

[/quote]

I rest my case and I posted my views on the thread title back on page 1 but then again you probably missed it amongst the 5 posts you made before this one taking issue with other peoples opinions. You just cannot help yourself can you ?

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I''m afraid you don''t even make the status of average sonny. I had seen Kevin Keelan play 100 times before your mam had even given thought to your first nappy.

[/quote]

Who is sonny, is that the hedgehog little kids like you play with nowadys!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"] LDC. You start numerous threads giving your slant or opinion on everything which is fine but when anybody does not agree with your take on things or posts an alternative view you then bang on and on and on and on for page after page after page trying to convince us all that you are always right and everybody has got it wrong. It has to be your way or no way over everything on here and quite frankly whilst appreciating that we all have our faults you just cannot see yours and are a pain. Now be a good chap and don''t retort with your usual bullying and victim nonsense just for the once. Sorry to hijack the thread to those who wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of the Gunn Club.[/quote]I too am sorry to have to resort to replying to a post which has nothing to do with the thread, but I will defend myself against stuck up posts like this one.  Twisted, distorting the meaning of what I write. I am not always right, but you carry on thinking what you like. But : I HAVE AN OPINION AND AM ENTITLED TO EXPRESS IT.  Get used to it.  I''ve done nothing more than express my opinion on this thread. Now leave the thread alone to people who want to comment on it.[/quote]

I rest my case and I posted my views on the thread title back on page 1 but then again you probably missed it amongst the 5 posts you made before this one taking issue with other peoples opinions. You just cannot help yourself can you ?

[/quote]

Err....now its you that can''t help yourself - the board is about discussing opinions, or supposed to be.  I''m terribly sorry I missed your lordship''s post, which seems to be your main gripe.  Its difficult to keep up with all the posts  when you''re trying to answer someone else''s post. 

OK.  I''ll answer it now.    You are right.  There are many players who have graced the hallowed pitch at CR.  There are lots who could have a part of the ground named after them.   The thread though is about Gunn, not the other players. My issue is with people who are unforgiving to what Bryan Gunn is and has been to the club.   There is bitterness out there, there is no doubt, but in my opinion, you have to take Gunn''s overall contribution to the club, not just the management issue.   As for changing the name of the Gunn Club - imo, if it ain''t broke don''t fix it.  BG is known as a people person and great at pr.  Those are two of the reasons a club was  named after him.  

Gunn''s the best keeper I''ve seen play for Norwich.He deserved a shot at keeping us up as manager.He was horribly wrong in campaigning to keep the manager''s job after he failed to keep us up, and was clearly out of his depth when given the job as evidenced by our fitness, tactics and that opening day defeat.Does the good outweigh the bad? Yes, in my view.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... 

[/quote]
Ermmmm..... yes! Pretty much a decade of playing in the top division, two times player of the season, the only Norwich keeper to win player of the season twice. He only began to go down hill in 1995 when he was diagnosed with a spinal condition and that, coupled with a serious leg break, ended his career. He had a dodgy last season because of that, otherwise he was a fantastic keeper! 

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Gunn''s the best keeper I''ve seen play for Norwich.He deserved a shot at keeping us up as manager.He was horribly wrong in campaigning to keep the manager''s job after he failed to keep us up, and was clearly out of his depth when given the job as evidenced by our fitness, tactics and that opening day defeat.Does the good outweigh the bad? Yes, in my view. [/quote]

Chops,  Gunn is the third-best keeper I''ve seen for Norwich City but neither Keelan or Woods would have deserved to have been given the job on that basis, if they''d shown as little interest in management as had Gunn.

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is sonny, is that the hedgehog little kids like you play with nowadys!!

[/quote]

Sorry, you''ve lost me there. Your outstanding intellect is obviously far too much for me to cope with.