Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Hooper watch - Monday 15th

Not a very convincing article that - Hooper has been left out because he''s injured. Meanwhile, The Daily Star says Hooper will reject QPR and that it''s between Norwich and West Ham:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...ry-Hooper-deal

Apologies if this has already been said within the 15 pages but I noticed Lennon say that Hooper is likely to be gone within a week. Anything to do with us being away for a week?

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]Apologies if this has already been said within the 15 pages but I noticed Lennon say that Hooper is likely to be gone within a week. Anything to do with us being away for a week?[/quote]I''m with you on where you''re going with this...............interesting.

I think Lennon said that a couple of days ago. So nice theory but the timescale does not quite tally.

We could well still be after him and may get him despite that though.

Wish we''d just pay up for Hooper! At least he has a far better scoring record than Maxi Lopez with are now linked with and he would cost us 3.5 million. I would much rather us she''ll out 5 million for Hooper!

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]I think Lennon said that a couple of days ago. So nice theory but the timescale does not quite tally.

We could well still be after him and may get him despite that though.[/quote]

Could be just a coincidence but Lennon is unlikely to use the phrase "I expect him to be gone in 9 days". To be honest, I have no idea how long deals take to sort out although judging by deadline day if you really want someone you can sort out a deal in a matter of hours. You sense if he was going to QPR it would have been sorted by now. Also, there is the teaser of Barnett not going on the tour - no suggestion of an injury so (if we have offered a player plus cash deal) then it would appear that Barnett is that player. Of course he could just be in talks with Cardiff or another club - he must be on his way though as with Bassing & Turner not on tour we are short of CB''s.

Would be happy with hooper and Lopez. That would do for me as attackers as we hopefully (as 442 is dead now) will play one up top. Wolfy is 1st choice and will play most games providing he dosn''t get an injury or suspension. Lopez can play wide in a 433 or in the hole in a 4231. Only need hooper and becciho as backup so maybe that''s why it''s taking so long to get hooper as he knows he will be on the bench most of the season.

It is clear that Hooper has made his mind up to go and whether the right deals are on the table for the clubs involved, the bottom line is ultimately he will make sure it is right for him. Classic brinkmanship all round! Celtic will hold out as long as possible hoping they can fuel a few more clubs interest but knowing that they get nothing for him in a year''s time. So it goes on! I don''t think that we have got to the stage where any club has been given permission to speak to the player. Whether we are still interested or not is hard to tell...could these failed bids for other strikers be part of the ''smoke screen'' to retain our upper hand in negotiations giving Celtic the impression we can take him or leave him. It ultimately worries me that little interest is being shown in the player, and yet at the same time gives me hope that McNally is playing a canny long game on this. Hull could not offer enough, QPR could offer more but could they tempt the player and in doing so were they prepared to pay over the odds in personal terms to make up for playing in the second tier. Whether this latest interest from West Ham is a figment of Sky''s imagination is another for the conspiracy theorists, but with Carroll looking likely to miss some part of the season through inevitable injury they clearly need a fall back plan. This one goes right to the wire!

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has reiterated he wants in-demand striker Gary Hooper to stay with the Scottish Premier League club.

The

forward played 25 minutes against Cliftonville on Tuesday night as

Celtic cruised through to the UEFA Champions League third qualifying

round with a 5-0 aggregate victory.

Hooper has been linked with Nottingham Forest after previous interest

from QPR in the Championship, but Lennon has not given up hope of

retaining his services.

Bhoys chief executive Peter Lawwell held discussions with the City

Ground outfit earlier in the day to set out their stance on Hooper.

Lennon said: "I spoke to him today and asked him how he was feeling.

He said he could do with some game-time, and that''s exactly what we did.

"He''s not given me any indication either way, so no news is good news

on that front. If I''ve got him here for next week, I''ll be delighted.

"It''s a better squad with Gary in it. From our point of view we want

him to stay, and if we can persuade him to stay we will do everything we

can to do that.

"I think Peter was speaking to Nottingham today to tell them that

he''s not for sale, or if he is for sale they are going to have to come

back with a sizeable offer.

"He was excellent tonight and he has been for the last 12 or 13 months now."

Forest in the mix now.

I have to say I veer from thinking we want and will get him, to being far from convinced we are still that interested - you just never know with these things.

You definitely get the impression that there''s much going on, but conversely so little that we know about! Right now I''m thinking Quag and Lopez would be a good pair of signings and might be who we are looking at.