Sign in to follow this  
Metal Militia

Who benefits from season ticket price increases?

It appears to me that players and their agents are the only winners as a result of the increased tv money should we remain in the Premier league. We are being asked to pay more to watch the games, with no improvement to our facilities or the experience. We are told that any extra cash raised from us and tv deals will go in to the running of the football club, so we should be pleased as profits are not being taken out by our owners, but the reality is that for us nothing changes next season, whilst our players get to drive a better car.

I am not being critical of our board, who are doing an amazing job, but football in general, when we are all paying more for tickets or to watch on tv, but nothing actually changes for us, at a time when many can no longer afford to follow their team. All of the extra cash that has flooded in to football since the Premier League started hasn''t actually improved the quality of the football, with the national team being pretty useless. Yes, stadiums have improved, but most clubs hold huge debts and the average fan can no longer afford to follow their team.

After 15 + years of having a season ticket, I will probably not be renewing, which is fine for the club as there are plenty on the waiting list. It would have been a huge thank you if the board had frozen prices for the next season, rather than the one after, as a thank you for watching some pretty awaful football in previous years. Any ground development is on hold and the debt is to be repaid, so the extra tv cash (if we stay up) could have funded the increase to salaries and bringing in a few extra players.   

Why do people want a sodding pat on the back from the club all the time? It''s this bloody culture of entitlement we live in. The extra money goes into the playing budget which will help get in better players and extend contracts of players we need to keep. If we want to become more established in this league it will cost us more. Its a system of continuous improvement.

If you can;t afford it fine. Move over and let someone more willing to pay and less likely to moan take your place. You are in a minority.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Oh get over it, no one is forcing you to renew your season ticket. No one deserves extra entitlement, it''s a business[/quote]

It is and that is fine. What grates with fans is this ludicrous PR guff from McNally in particular that we are all in some happy-clappy mutual or co-operative. He really should stop peddling that line.

If we were a true cooperative then a certain member of staff would be giving up his £900K per annum bonus in order to put all availale funds into football!

This notion that if we want to compete in the prem we have to pay more for it is nonsense. These increases will raise about £360K extra plus tth same again for the academy if everyone does not opt out. In my opinion it will make no material difference whatsoever to our ability to compete in the premier league.

Nobody is asking for a pat on the back but I think many find it unsatisfactory that prices just rise year on year and we are supposed to accept it when in this case there is actually no real justification.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

If we were a true cooperative then a certain member of staff would be giving up his £900K per annum bonus in order to put all availale funds into football!

This notion that if we want to compete in the prem we have to pay more for it is nonsense. These increases will raise about £360K extra plus tth same again for the academy if everyone does not opt out. In my opinion it will make no material difference whatsoever to our ability to compete in the premier league.

Nobody is asking for a pat on the back but I think many find it unsatisfactory that prices just rise year on year and we are supposed to accept it when in this case there is actually no real justification.

[/quote]

"Hey!......We''re all in it TOGETHER!".......

I agree that the players will be the main beneficiaries of the ST increase. I am fortunate in that i can afford the increase and will continue to re new however an increase 3X the rate of inflation is a bit steep, especially if we stay up and enjoy the shedloads of cash from sky. The ST increase will probably only bring in an extra £800 000 a lot when we were desperate in league 1 but a drop in the ocean and probably only pay 6 months wages for one of our top earners. Clearly with our demand and capacity the club holds all the aces, should we get relegated this may not be the case

You may have missed my point. I wasn''t moaning about how our club is run, simply that over all the years that prices have increased the football isn''t actually any better and the only winners of the increased prices and tv money are the players and their agents.

I haven''t been able to afford a season ticket for years and it''s not really the clubs fault. Blame Abramovic and all the rich billionaires who''ve come in and inflated the cost of everything so massively just to boost their own ego''s. What irritates me though is people can see how they''ve poisoned football, made progression about ownership change instead of management and astute signings yet people welcome them with open arms! Sky isn''t the problem, without Sky''s money we wouldn''t have a chance to compete with most clubs in the Prem.

The fact is if our leagues we''re run more like the German leagues are where ownership is handled like this: http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/11/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

Sky wouldn''t need to pay clubs such a stupid amount of money in TV deals because they wouldn''t need it and we''d all be paying £300 for season tickets and £25 casual tickets. It''s why I love seeing clubs like QPR fail, hopefully if it happens enough times it will put new mega rich owners off from poisoning the sport for good.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

On my season ticket I have a number.......a number is all that I am to the club......

[/quote]

But, in fairness, that number is unique.

On a recent visit to Camp Nou I was shocked to see the prices in austerity riven Spain with massive youth unemployment.

Huge capacity and a ECL permanent fixture but still extortionate which is a surprise as its no longer illegal to speak Catalan outside the ground.

The replica shirts were pricy too.

The queue for ground and museum tour tickets is 23 euro, the queue was half an hour and the gate closed an hour later.

"What grates with fans is this ludicrous PR guff from McNally in particular that we are all in some happy-clappy mutual or co-operative. He really should stop peddling that line."

Well said! The club has become very hard-nosed, which may be fine in its own way, but at least McN should be candid about it rather than trotting out Doublespeak like "we are all in a co-operative".

"What grates with fans is this ludicrous PR guff from McNally in particular that we are all in some happy-clappy mutual or co-operative. He really should stop peddling that line."

Well said! The club has become very hard-nosed, which may be fine in its own way, but at least McN should be candid about it rather than trotting out Doublespeak like "we are all in a co-operative".

If Mr Mac was to give me a few quid from his miniscule bonus.....I''d  agree, and nod like those toy dogs that nerds used to put on the rear parcel shelf of their motors........"ARF ARF!"

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

[/quote]Quite.While I don''t begrudge Mr McN a single penny of his near £1m bonus for the way he''s turned NCFC round he really does need to engage brain sometimes before banging on about '' co-operatives '' and '' family ''. He''s beginning to sound as out of touch as our multi-millionaire Chancellor of the Exchequer claiming we''re '' all in this together ''.