Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Clattenberg unaffected...

...by the racism saga. He is still the same god awful ref he was.

Never a free kick for their goal, missed handball from Lambert before he stuck it in and then bottled a clear penalty when Snoddy was fouled.

Still, a point apiece is probably what was deserved, it doesn''t hide how consistently woeful the referee is.

[quote user="canarydan23"]...by the racism saga. He is still the same god awful ref he was.

Never a free kick for their goal, missed handball from Lambert before he stuck it in and then bottled a clear penalty when Snoddy was fouled.

Still, a point apiece is probably what was deserved, it doesn''t hide how consistently woeful the referee is.[/quote]

My thoughts entirely - bottled big decision. If it was anywhere else on the pitch it''s a free kick. Also first three free kicks they had were dubious in the extreme

Yeah - good post. Just because he was wrongly accused of racist language doesn''t mean that the FA shouldn''t notice those awful decisions. Lamberts goal was like fliken basketball or ausie rules or something!!

Yeah, not a good performance from the Ref.

Doesn''t matter if the result is whats deserved on balance of play, he missed the hand ball. And it was probably a penalty, even if the player got the ball (and I didn''t think he did with the benefit of 2/3 replays) it wasn''t clear at all, and a lot of refs would have given that. Or to put it another way, any big team at home would have been awarded a penalty then...

John Roder "Just the match Mark Clattenburg would have wanted on his return to refereeing - not a controversy at all. Saints keeper Paulo Gazzaniga was at fault for Norwich''s equaliser but a draw was just about the right result.

What game was he watching with regard to the refereeing

Seriously? He gave us a ton of decisions. Sure when it came to the bigs ones his opinion was at fault. But we had a majority of his decisions given to us I feel.

The commentators kept failing to mention Lamberts hand ball, they kept going on about the GK mistake, but Lambert, regardless of wether it was a deliberate hand ball or not was extremely lucky, his arm controlled the ball for him, he got a lucky deflection. There goal was just as, if not more so lucky than ours... And Clattenberg is an idiot. He didn''t deserve to be accused of racism, no one does, its not fair. But it has just masked his inability to referee a game properly.

And normally I don''t care, but i''m getting really fed up of outsiders just disrespecting us. Its getting ridiculous. We finished 12th last season, have some quality players, some really bad luck, but still some great result. Are on probably the best run any team has been on so far this season (apart from maybe Chelsea up until game after they played us). Still no one really wants to ''take our side'' so to speak.

I hear you GP, the lack of acknowledgement for what Norwich are capable of is grinding on the soul. Which was why I was so surprised to see us getting more free kicks than Southampton. I thought given the encouragement we''d make more of it.

Our first half free kicks were dreadful...

From memory we had one good set piece in the first half, the short corner. And that nearly went wrong as well. We put in a couple decent corners in second half, Holt nearly scored from one (that might have been a FK).

Southampton had two FKs in decent positions, scored from one, and the other was very dangerous, or at least looked it on first glance. Ours where either under or over hit, not aimed at anyone or any area in particular. One Pilks FK nearly connected with Bennett at the far post, but he gave him far too much to do.

This is something that surely is worked on during training, I can''t imagine Hughton is too pleased with the consistency of set pieces. When we put in a decent one we always look dangerous, but the decent ones are few and far between. I''m almost certain if we put in 4/5 quality set pieces in a game we''d score 2 goals. At the moment were looking at 2/3 quality set pieces at best.

I''m not convinced that it was a deliberate handball by Lambert so I think you have to give the referee the benefit of the doubt there. It looked a penalty but I''ve seen us not given more obvious ones than that.

Does it have to be deliberate?

And even if it wasn''t, it helped him a lot. I can''t think of many times a hand ball like that, clearly knocking the ball into his path that hasn''t resulted in a FK. I don''t know what kind of view the ref had, but if he''d seen it clearly i''d have thought he''d have given it.

And even if you do say it wasn''t a deliberate hand ball, fair goal. Its still very very lucky goal. Hits his arm, into his path, takes a deflection off a Norwich player, into his path, easy finish.

Snodgrass hit a low FK, keeper probably wasn''t expecting it, it was a bad mistake. But Lambert was just as lucky as Snoddy in my opinion.

The media truly are ridiculous at times, the leading headline on the bbc match report follows the same trend as what''s been said on here:
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20422478[/url]
Oh well... It''s what happens ON the pitch that counts.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Does it have to be deliberate?

And even if it wasn''t, it helped him a lot. I can''t think of many times a hand ball like that, clearly knocking the ball into his path that hasn''t resulted in a FK. I don''t know what kind of view the ref had, but if he''d seen it clearly i''d have thought he''d have given it.

And even if you do say it wasn''t a deliberate hand ball, fair goal. Its still very very lucky goal. Hits his arm, into his path, takes a deflection off a Norwich player, into his path, easy finish.

Snodgrass hit a low FK, keeper probably wasn''t expecting it, it was a bad mistake. But Lambert was just as lucky as Snoddy in my opinion.[/quote]Of course it has to be a deliberate handball for it to be a free kick. I can''t believe you actually have to ask that. I am not suggesting it was not a lucky goal but I''m not convinced the referee made a mistake as is claimed here.

Yeah but how exactly do you determine a deliberate hand ball?

I don''t know the official wording of the rule, because I haven''t read the FA rulebook.

But you don''t stop the play and ask the player if they did that deliberately. Footballers are very clever at deceiving the referee. Just because his arm wasn''t up in the air, doesn''t mean he didn''t do it deliberately. He clearly used his arm, wether on purpose or not, to gain an advantage.

That should be the rule, yellow card for obviously deliberate hand ball, red for something like goal line block with hand (like Suarez in World Cup). And just a plain old free kick for use of arm to gain an advantage. Sometimes its unavoidable, sometimes its bad luck. Sometimes the ball hits your arm and you get the perfect set up.

There is no certain way to determine deliberate hand ball, other than the referee looking at the players eyes and movement of arm. I don''t know where the referee was positioned, but there were a lot of players in the box, I wouldn''t be surprised if he didn''t see the ball until it fell in front of Lambert for him to shoot

I believe that this is the wording of the handball rule.Law 12 - Fouls and MisconductA direct free kick is awarded if a player handles the ball deliberatelyHandling the ball involves a

deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or

arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:

- the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

- the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

- the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

Now it looked to me as if there was no movement of the hand towards the ball and the ball was flicked on from a relatively short distance which both indicate that it should not be considered deliberate. I appreciate that footballers can deceive the referee, although I would suggest it is more difficult to simulate an undeliberate handball than it is a foul tackle, but that is no reason to change a rule that looks fairly simple to understand. The rule is fine it is the understanding of players, managers, fans and the media that is the problem.

Clattenberg aside,that linesman running the line in front of us was one of the worst I''ve ever seen.Very non committal, for instance not giving us a throw at one point when the ball had crossed the line (we were level with the line), giving us a goal kick when it was a corner to them (not moaning about that,just the general standard of the officials) & lots of other incidents.He looked like a rabbit in the headlights & seemed to focus entirely on the offsides.

I find it hard to believe these people are the best the Premiership has to offer in the way of officials.

Good turn out of City fans on a cold November mid week night though.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I''m not convinced that it was a deliberate handball by Lambert so I think you have to give the referee the benefit of the doubt there. It looked a penalty but I''ve seen us not given more obvious ones than that.[/quote]It was a pen alright. He got the ball, but clattered Snodders from behind prior to it. Outside the box, and tackle from behind is a free kick, and usually a yellow. Clattenberg bottled it.

This might get me some abuse, tin hat on

....only saw the match highlights on MOTD, but from my view - their goal freekick, was soft - but we''ve had softer eg, Snodgrass and Morison vs Stoke and Everton.

The handball, although  I felt it was ball to hand, it did give Lambert ''control'' and advantage but it was in a crowd of players, so tricky to see.

I actually felt we got a soft freekick for our goal too - so pretty even there.

I don''t think Clattenberg is a bad ref, but feel his arrogance shows through far too much, which shows a poor side of him.

We have had, and will have worse - Eddie Ilderton springs to mind @ Tranmere