Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

I'm pleased for Simeon...

... and hope they make it : -

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_striker_simeon_jackson_is_closing_in_on_world_cup_dream_1_1657280

Got me thinking whether we''d ever had a player in the World Cup finals. I think maybe Andy Townsend in 1990? Have I missed anyone more obvious?

So the goal must be a goal. If Simeon gets there and scores a goal I''m pretty sure he''d be the first canary to do that.

[quote user="Timmah"]Fleck and Gunn in 90? Not sure they got any game time.[/quote]Fleck Did, Gunny didn''t.as for former Canaries, have the Doc and Safri played at a world cup?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Timmah"]Fleck and Gunn in 90? Not sure they got any game time.[/quote]Fleck Did, Gunny didn''t.as for former Canaries, have the Doc and Safri played at a world cup?[/quote]The Doc was world class.........[+o(]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Timmah"]Fleck and Gunn in 90? Not sure they got any game time.[/quote]Fleck Did, Gunny didn''t.as for former Canaries, have the Doc and Safri played at a world cup?[/quote]Safri was in the Moroccan squad for the African Nations Cup in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008 but they did not qualify for the World Cup during that period. The Doc never played at the World Cup.On a sort of related note I seem to recall having the Panini sticker album for the1982 World Cup and in it was a sticker of Wynton Rufer in a Norwich City kit. Rufer was the star striker of the New Zealand national team and Ken Brown had signed him (and his brother I think) for us just before the World Cup began. Unfortunately he failed to get a work permit (bloody Thatcher again Nutty [;)]) and left before the World Cup began. He went on to have a very respectable career in West Germany and scored a hatful for Weder Bremen in his time there including a goal in a UEFA Cup final when that trophy meant something.Martin O''Neill played in the 1982 World Cup as well. Was he with us then? I think he joined us in the early eighties then left for Manchecter City and came back again. I think he was here when we got promoted in 1981/82 so I guess he would have been a Norwich player whilst representing Northern Ireland in Spain.

[quote user="Rivvo"]Chris Woods 1986, I don''t believe he played at all though.[/quote]Chris Woods was most certainly in the 86'' squad, number 3 behind Shilton and Gary Bailey at the time wasn''t he?Fleck and Gunn were both in Scotland''s 1990 squad http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1990/squad_sco90.htmlFleck hardly got a chance, having to sit and watch an aged Gordon Durie partner his one time Rangers nemisis McCoist upfront.  While Gunny had to sit and watch Jim Leighton flap at a late Costa Rica winner that all but dumped Scotland out of the competition after the first match, with Brazil to play in their final group game.Not sure that he ever played a game for us, but how about Wynton Rufer in New Zealand''s 1982 squad?

Thanks Shack. You found the obvious one I missed. O''Neill was back with us in 1982 and not only played in all five games for Northern Ireland he also captained them.

As for the others Flecky was a good call. He got a fair crack in 1990. Didn''t play against Costa Rica but kept McCoist out of the side against Sweden and came on as sub for McCoist in the Brazil game. Gunn never played a minute. Chris Woods went with England in 1986 but also didn''t get a minute.

So a goal is still the goal for Simeon to make the record books.

Anyhow, I thought you wanted Simeon to be sold because he wasn''t good enough for the Premier League Nutty, or are you thinking that we may just be playing in the Championship again next season?

[quote user="Smudger"]Anyhow, I thought you wanted Simeon to be sold because he wasn''t good enough for the Premier League Nutty, or are you thinking that we may just be playing in the Championship again next season?

[/quote]

And where did I say that? You won''t find any such post or heard any such comments from me. More misinformation to try and play billybigbollox on here. You''re out of your depth shorty..

6-0 now and Jackson subbed in min 63. He was awful for the 10 min or so I saw before he was hauled off.

With Morison having a couple of lousy games for Wales their confidence must be pretty shot.

Now where does that put us striker-wise for the next couple of weeks?

Kane out, so CMartin on the bench to sub Holt after 70/80 min? Or will he get a start playing in the hole behind Holt?

???

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So do we have anyone else with a realistic chance of a goal in 2014...

Don''t s''pose Wales have a chance..

[/quote]Well if many posters on here are to be believed then we have Johnny Howson and Bradley Johnson.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

So do we have anyone else with a realistic chance of a goal in 2014...

Don''t s''pose Wales have a chance..

[/quote]

Well if many posters on here are to be believed then we have Johnny Howson and Bradley Johnson.

[/quote]

Smudger.. you offer nothing to this board. It''s either misinformation to back up your billybigbollxing or sour posts digging at other posters. As your buddy Aco would say "you''re a blight".

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

6-0 now and Jackson subbed in min 63. He was awful for the 10 min or so I saw before he was hauled off.

With Morison having a couple of lousy games for Wales their confidence must be pretty shot.

Now where does that put us striker-wise for the next couple of weeks?

Kane out, so CMartin on the bench to sub Holt after 70/80 min? Or will he get a start playing in the hole behind Holt?

???

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I reckon Hughton would play Hoolahan off Holt as at Chelsea if these two are shot. I prefer Holt behind Jackson but Jacko has got to score goals for that to work. Hughton said he subbed Jackson against Liverpool because he had missed chances and to be fair to him Morison and Holt both scored. Albeit the game was already lost by then.

All things considered Hoolahan off Holt for me.