Sign in to follow this  
Gardeningleave

Lambert feels "uncomfortable"

The pressure is building on PL, the article in the Birmingham Mail gives him a chance to air his feelings about the Villa fans chanting his name on the last game of the season against Villa. Instead of uncomfortable he should substitute the word ashamed.

http://www.birminghammail.net/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fc-paul-lambert-264879

H

From the Daily Telegraph:

LMA tell Norwich to stop public sniping about former manager Paul Lambert as legal row continues

The League Managers Association have warned Norwich City against making further comments about Paul Lambert, ahead of Saturday''s potentially stormy reunion.

Lambert is being represented by the LMA in his legal action against his former club and Norwich have been rapped on the knuckles after revealing the details of their feud earlier this month.

Norwich chairman Alan Bowkett accused Lambert of demanding £2 million for unfair dismissal and breach of contract at a fans'' forum, following his acrimonious departure in June. Bowkett also insisted Lambert''s exit "was no surprise because he has walked out on every club he has ever managed".

Lambert then revealed that his old employers are also suing him, and the LMA have since stepped in to defuse the row by contacting Norwich to warn them that any more public sniping could seriously damage their case.

Richard Bevan, the LMA''s chief executive, told the Telegraph: "The matter is now in the hands of the Premier League Managers'' Arbitration Panel and we expect it to be dealt with in early 2013."

Not much in the article but like the feature which allows a facebook-esque like not like rating for each post/user by fellow users - a very good light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance activity if ever there was on - a pink un posters mini league in the making...  

I actually find that to be a strange comment, as at the time he had no reason to feel "uncomfortable" as he was, as far as we know, happy at Norwich and Villa certainly wouldnt have made any approach for him by then......would they? You are only "uncomfortable" if you have something to feel "uncomfortable" about, surely all he should have felt was "surprised" and a little "flattered" perhaps at that time. Perhaps he was "uncomfortable" because an approach had perhaps already been made (which of course it hadnt) and the Villa fans singing his name was actually the last thing he wanted, hence he felt "uncomfortable",now that I can understand.

I agree, PL is known as a ruthless manager, it''s times like the Villa game where the consequences of his ambition are highlighted in a very public way, the person I felt sorry for was McLeish.

H

What an utterly laughable piece by the Daily Torygraph - no surprise there.

There is absolutely nothing in the quote from the LMA representative ''rapping Norwich on the knuckles'' or ''telling Norwich to stop sniping.''

The headline and the first paragraph are a work of complete invention by whoever wrote the article. Sadly newspapers do this all the time nowadays.

Dubai - I think he makes it quite clear why he felt uncomfortable. He said he felt sorry for McLeish getting that abuse, and understood that when you''re the manager - the one man walking in that technical zone - with thousands of fans chanting for your opposite number, it wasn''t "the right atmosphere" for a football match. Nothing to do with possible previous sneaky requests or anything, he simply felt uncomfortable because he didn''t like the atmosphere and didn''t feel it''s the right sort of thing for fans to do. I''d agree. However much I wanted a manager out, I would never in a million years sing that we wanted an opposition manager during a game - I''d be hesitant to boo our own manager (but would if I felt it very necessary), but I''d never sing that we wanted the opposition manager during a game.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]What an utterly laughable piece by the Daily Torygraph - no surprise there. There is absolutely nothing in the quote from the LMA representative ''rapping Norwich on the knuckles'' or ''telling Norwich to stop sniping.'' The headline and the first paragraph are a work of complete invention by whoever wrote the article. Sadly newspapers do this all the time nowadays.[/quote]

The likelihood is that story is based on an off-the-record quote from Richard Bevan of the LMA. He has spoken on the record to the Telegraph, but probably unattributably as well at the same time. And it is the controversal bit that was off the record. But - and this is common practice - the Telegraph has dropped a massive hint at who is the source for the unattributed controversial bit by quoting them elsewhere in the report on an aspect that is uncontroversial. So the reader can easily work out that the story has some foundation.

There has been so much written about the departure of Lambert which seems to have no basis in fact that it is difficult to know what to believe. My feeling (and if the LMA are backing him against us I would be even more confident that this was the case) is that he had a clause in his contract which allowed him to speak to other clubs and when he asked to speak to Villa we refused. This is presumably where the talk of him claiming constructive dismissal comes from as if we broke the terms of our contract with him then technically he did not resign. I also suspect that he might be due some kind of bonus were it proved he did not resign (is this what Bowkett is claiming that Lambert is suing us for? The concept of ''loyalty bonuses'' is fairly laughable in football but they do exist and operate in this way. There was talk of Carlos Tevez receiving a loyalty bonus from Manchester City last season as he had never handed in a transfer request!) which is why we are obviously keen on insisting that he did.Ultimately none of us really know what happened (my guess above is just that) and we won''t know until the tribunal at the start of next year. But if Lambert has the backing of the LMA it does suggest that we might be in a bit of trouble.

Purple - I agree that what you say is one possible interpretation - and of course I don''t suppose we''ll ever really know.

I don''t know if you ever look at the excellent Mediawatch section of the Football 365 website, but if you do, you will see that everyday they come up with loads of examples where the headline and the spin put on the story by the journalist bear no resemblance to the actual real quotes in the story. They do this for the obvious reason that they want people to read their stories. My guess is that this is what''s happened here - at least I think this is by far and away the most likely explanation.