Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Jay Tabb expects to beat Norwich City

Just seen this article on the main page. I hope it provides extra fuel for the boys to get one over Reading on Saturday. I saw Jay Tabb play against QPR and he had lots of energy, but was quite over-zealous in his tackles and could easily see him getting sent off against clever players

We''ve got similar midfielders who can deal with this guy!!! Bradley and Alex are playing great and if they are up to the level they were the last few games, I think Tabb won''t have an easy game. They haven''t won a game this season, so you can expect a statement like that from them... Let''s just keep our heads cool and use the wide areas well! I hope CH plays Benno and Pilks personally

Leigertwood is similar too. Hopefully our sitting two boss them all over the park. I''d be tempted to use Benno to exploit their defensive weaknesses and players like Tabb, but Snoddy has had a good return to form and deserves his place. He draws fouls too and his crossing has been much improved in the last 2 games.

He may expect to beat us, I expect to win the Lottery on Saturday night but it doesn''t mean it will happen.

LDC won''t be happy with Mr. Tabb. :P

And I''d hope our players who are asked about the game expect us to win... Not really anything surprising here.

[quote user="York Canary"]Just seen this article on the main page. I hope it provides extra fuel for the boys to get one over Reading on Saturday. I saw Jay Tabb play against QPR and he had lots of energy, but was quite over-zealous in his tackles and could easily see him getting sent off against clever players[/quote]He isn''t exactly going to say they''re going to lose is he haha

Don''t get taken in by the headline. It''s just the usual guff a player spouts when asked about a game like this. They are at home against one of the "lesser" teams (yes, that''s us - as well as them), so it''s a good opportunity for them to win since we''re not Man U or Chelsea.

But as Luna says, it''s probably  a good thing. The almost univeral delcarations in the written media since Lambert left that we were totally doomed, confirmed to them as a nailed on certainty by our start, has pretty much wiped out any respect that other teams had for us under Lambert. We''re now back to our usual position in the eyes of everyone outside of the Fine City - a plucky little team from Norfolk that aside from the odd surprise result, are there for the taking.

Hughton turning us in to an obstinate, hard to beat, awkard to play team may not be pretty, but it is the last thing others will be expecting.  

[quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC won''t be happy with Mr. Tabb. :P

And I''d hope our players who are asked about the game expect us to win... Not really anything surprising here.[/quote]

You shouldn''t encourage me GP,  I do think that "expectations" are at the heart of  a lot of Reading''s problems.    They saw us - as have other clubs - and said - well if Norwich can do it - so can we.   So they are already expecting to survive.   The beauty of the way we did things was that the winning mentality was built in from League 1 and the momentum of that carried us through to the end of last season.   So not all clubs will be able to recreate the same effect.  Reading and Southampton have shown their naivety in the way they have approached their first few games.  When we went up to the premiership we simply aimed to compete to the last minute with a very tight unit - we gave nothing away.    So they are not going to find it easy.

As others have said they may "expect" to win - and that could be their downfall.  

Interesting comments.  It makes sense that with all 3 teams staying up last year, and us & Swansea doing so comfortably, it has made the promoted teams over-confident.

I also wonder if our poor early performances against Fulham etc were partly due to complacency.

I have family in the Reading & High Wycombe area so I''m travelling down on Friday and hoping for a good result on Saturday !  The only game I can remember going to at Reading before was their last game at the old stadium, from memory we beat them 2-0 and condemned them to relegation.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC won''t be happy with Mr. Tabb. :P And I''d hope our players who are asked about the game expect us to win... Not really anything surprising here.[/quote]

You shouldn''t encourage me GP,  I do think that "expectations" are at the heart of  a lot of Reading''s problems.    They saw us - as have other clubs - and said - well if Norwich can do it - so can we.   So they are already expecting to survive.   The beauty of the way we did things was that the winning mentality was built in from League 1 and the momentum of that carried us through to the end of last season.   So not all clubs will be able to recreate the same effect.  Reading and Southampton have shown their naivety in the way they have approached their first few games.  When we went up to the premiership we simply aimed to compete to the last minute with a very tight unit - we gave nothing away.    So they are not going to find it easy.

As others have said they may "expect" to win - and that could be their downfall.  

[/quote]

As long as we dont expect to win either - its a winnable game for us so if we apply ourselves and perform to our capability we can win this game.   However its unlikely to be an easy romp  for us and if the performance is OK I wont be unhappy with a draw.

As for Tabb - what else can he say?  If they are to survive this season we are a must win game for them - all the pressure should be on them - we simply want to avoid a defeat and its no disaster if we dont...

I certainly agree that Reading and Saints have come up thinking they should be able to do what Swansea and us did without too much trouble. Although i doubt their managers would say that. As for why they aren''t yet succeeding where we did, that''s less clear. It''s very simplistic to say that we succeeded just because we kept it tight and kept going to the end. I don''t think it''s right either to say we were ''tight'' if you recall our inability to keep clean sheets last season. Or that it''s necessarily correct to say we ''kept going'' any more that Reading or Southampton. They both have their fair share of late goals already.

I''d love to know what the difference is though between us under Lambert, Blackpool the season before, Reading and Saints this year and even us in 2005. You could say that all these teams played very ''open'' football, but only one have managed to do it successfully (accepting very early days for Reading and Saints). I hesitate to say it but maybe it was simply down to the manager. Sure the players come in to it but particularly in Reading and Saints case i don''t think there''s a lot to choose - they are generally good enough, if managed in the right hands.

As this seasons progresses, while it''s a shame to have lost Lambert and his style of football with thim, i am increasingly confident that leaving that - or any similarly open style of football we are seeing our rivals adopt - behind, is the right thing to do at the right time. A bit like moving out of the latest fashion just before it becomes unfahionable! 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC won''t be happy with Mr. Tabb. :P And I''d hope our players who are asked about the game expect us to win... Not really anything surprising here.[/quote]You shouldn''t encourage me GP,  I do think that "expectations" are at the heart of  a lot of Reading''s problems.    They saw us - as have other clubs - and said - well if Norwich can do it - so can we.   So they are already expecting to survive.   The beauty of the way we did things was that the winning mentality was built in from League 1 and the momentum of that carried us through to the end of last season.   So not all clubs will be able to recreate the same effect.  Reading and Southampton have shown their naivety in the way they have approached their first few games.  When we went up to the premiership we simply aimed to compete to the last minute with a very tight unit - we gave nothing away.    So they are not going to find it easy.  As others have said they may "expect" to win - and that could be their downfall.   [/quote]

As long as we dont expect to win either - its a winnable game for us so if we apply ourselves and perform to our capability we can win this game.   However its unlikely to be an easy romp  for us and if the performance is OK I wont be unhappy with a draw.   As for Tabb - what else can he say?  If they are to survive this season we are a must win game for them - all the pressure should be on them - we simply want to avoid a defeat and its no disaster if we dont...

[/quote]

Absolutely.  [Y]

I think some people take the word expect far to literally...

If a player went out expecting, literally expecting to win, they wouldn''t bother trying because the win was guaranteed, and the manager would probably fine them or something...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think some people take the word expect far to literally...

If a player went out expecting, literally expecting to win, they wouldn''t bother trying because the win was guaranteed, and the manager would probably fine them or something...[/quote]

But isn''t that what Man City do- expect to win - because they''ve spent all that money?    That appears to be their problem this season - the expectation.     

I find this thread a little puzzling! How many of these people have actually played the game? I would be extremely worried if my team went out expecting not to win. As long as every player gives 100%, we surely should expect to win every game in which we play. If we don''t have that determination and confidence, is there any point in turning up? Who expected to win against Arsenal?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

And I''d hope our players who are asked about the game expect us to win... Not really anything surprising here.[/quote]

Far too sensible Ginge. You should never take any notice of anything any player or manager says in any pre-match/post-match interview. They pretty much all hate them and have all been told exactly what to say.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

But isn''t that what Man City do- expect to win - because they''ve spent all that money?    That appears to be their problem this season - the expectation.     [/quote]The problem Man City have is not expectation but that their main rivals have improved in the close season whilst they have all but stood still. Despite all of that money they spent prior to the start of last season they still needed a last minute goal to win the Premier League ahead of two of the worst Chelsea* and Manchester United sides I have seen in a long while. I don''t think they ''expected'' to be able to do the same again but suspect that they are somewhat hamstrung by the impending FFP rules which have meant that they have not been able to keep up their policy of heavy spending.* Before anyone mentions it I know that this Chelsea side went on to become European champions. They were extremely lucky though.

Interesting Shack. Further up i was speculating what enabled us to be successful as a promoted team playing open attacking football where many others attempting to do the same have largely failed, and if it was really just down to the manager.

Your look at the other end of the table suggests the same to me. If the manager can build a team, one where everyone fights for the team, not for themselves, it has a much better chance of success. It takes a special manager to hold that team ethic together and to keep the individual egos in check. It''s a lot harder to do this the higher up the league you go and the more highly paid selfish greedy footballers you deal with. Speaking of special, Mourinho was one man who was able to do this at Chelsea. The minute he left, the egos went out of control, and none of the managers that followed were able to recreate the ''team'' or the success. It is no surprise to me that it took an ex player, a relatively recent one, to rebuild the team ethic and immediately achieve success as a result. Man City now are a post Mourinho Chelsea all over again. Sure, they managed to ''buy'' the league title last year, and the whole ''project'' of taking Man City in to the very top echelons of the league was something that, aided with sacks of cash, Mancini was able to get the players to buy in to. But now that they''ve got there, the players interst in the whole ''project'' is clearly waning.

The other manager able to hold the team together, or repeatedly rebuild a team with the team ethic in tact, is Ferguson of course. Hence his ability to consistently win things without always having the best players.

I suspect young Master Tabb would be in trouble with his manager Brian were he to tell the reporter "I expect to lose to Norwich."

As Al Murray would say, "Not News".

In reality all teams in the Premiership will see Norwich at home as a game they should be winning cause Norwich are one of the weaker sides!

That said we will also go to Reading thinking that will be one of the more winnable games!