Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

If Mick Dennis is reading this.....

.... or any one else with inside knowledge of how the transfer market works, I''m curious how the system works at this time of the year.

Is there an FA clearing house, something like the university placement system, whereby a club like Norwich posts up an offer of lets say, Premier Club has available a young central defender prefereably to a mid-table Championship side? And then we sit back and wait for the offers to come in?

Or does someone at Norwich just sit down at the phone all day long and make phone calls to likely interested clubs. And who at the club would do this, the CEO, the club secretary, the manager, or someone else?

Just curious about the mechanics of it, as it must be complicated further when overseas players are thrown into the mix.

I think the agents play a part hawking their players if it''s clear they need a move.If Football manager is to be believed you fax all of the other clubs with details of your player [:D]

The availability of players who are deemed surplus to requirements are circulated to other clubs.

Nope. First of all, it''s nothing to do with the FA. They are a regulatory and governance body. They don''t facilitate anything for the Premier League or the Football League or their member clubs.

Secondly, the market is international and massive, so a universities-style clearing house would be almost impossible to administer (and who is going to administer it and at what cost?).

Thirdly, there are so many little imponderables. In City''s case, for instance. Do we keep Chris Martin if he does well tonight? That probably depends on whether we sign another striker ourselves. So we couldn''t put him into a clearing house scheme as available. (I have no inside information about our intentions about him, by the way).

What has happened at our club is that the board have determined the maximum possible playing budget for the season -- wages, transfer fees etc -- in light of the fact that we must make the final, huge repayment of our outside debts on 1 May.

Hughton has to work within that budget. He has thought about every player we have got, using data and dvds from last season plus what he has seen for himself.

Then, together with Ewan Chester, he has identified areas which he wants to strengthen and players he wants to get in. At the same time, he has a list of players he is prepared to let go -- to keep within the budget and because of his assessment of them.

Now, in the last few days of the window, tCity are waiting for the domino effect of what occurs at other clubs... If player A is signed by club Z, then will they let player Y go? etc.

Once the window is closed, I expect some more of our chaps to be on their way out on loan to Football League clubs.

And all the while, agents are trying to move their players on to get a cut of an improved deal. Agents talk to each other and to clubs all the time. Managers talk to each other all the time, and share information about what they have been told by other managers.

It is a very complex, imperfect market.

And never forget that the idea of two transfer windows was arbitrarily imposed by FIFA because of a misinterpretation of European law!!!!

And never forget this either: we were freaking great on Saturday, I thought.

Thaks Mick. From my observations in recent years it''s normally strikers who cause "the domino affect" at the end of the window. Clubs have "irons in the fire". Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn''t. Championship clubs will already have their loan targets, possibly already negotiated on an "if available" basis. I remember the window closing on Worthy in 2006 when none of his targets signed for various reasons. he then managed the great coup of signing Dion who I believe was out of contract. But as Dion had a couple of years football left in him he probably wasn''t available until after the window closed just in case a Prem club came in for him.

On the last day of the 06 summer window, Cameron Jerome had agreed to join us from Cardiff. So Leon McKenzie, who had sought a move, was allowed talk to Coventry. Jerome''s agent phoned to say that, actually, his man was going to Birmingham. The McKenzie deal was so far advanced that it went ahead. The window shut, leaving us short up front.

Dion had been released by Celtic and joined us in the September. Worthy was sacked in the October, by which time Dion (who had missed the pre-season) hadn''t managed a full game for us -- but Jerome had been sent off in his first game for Brum and had managed only one League goal by then.

I should really do some paid work now.

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]On the last day of the 06 summer window, Cameron Jerome had agreed to join us from Cardiff. So Leon McKenzie, who had sought a move, was allowed talk to Coventry. Jerome''s agent phoned to say that, actually, his man was going to Birmingham. The McKenzie deal was so far advanced that it went ahead. The window shut, leaving us short up front. Dion had been released by Celtic and joined us in the September. Worthy was sacked in the October, by which time Dion (who had missed the pre-season) hadn''t managed a full game for us -- but Jerome had been sent off in his first game for Brum and had managed only one League goal by then. I should really do some paid work now.[/quote]

Well I ain''t payin'' you Mick. I give my valuable time to this forum out of the goodness of my heart[U][;)]

When Worthy signed Dion he was slated. "What sort of message does this give out to Ryan Jarvis". The following season Dion became the oldest ever winner of the Barry Butler. That'';s what makes this forum fun and that''s an example of how things can change in football. And to think so many fans had lost patience with Hughton after just one game!