Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Craven Cottage - didn't smell like Team Spirit

As I''m sure 101 other people have noted, I have returned from Craven "shhhhh" Cottage and a deeply disappointing performance.   Tactics or teamwork? - both.  The players didn''t seem to know what they were supposed to be doing, but that doesn''t excuse the fact that for large parts of the game they didn''t do the basics of passing, moving, keeping the ball and frustrating the home team.  After the first ten minutes where we cancelled them out, they started finding space down the flanks - and then through the middle - and by the end of the game, pretty much wherever they liked.  Meanwhile we carried on trying to play 4-5-1 without having anyone linking midfield to attack so Holt was running left and right with nobody to feed (bar one 1-2 with Surman, I think) and ended up chasing hoofs from the full-backs.The biggest concern for me was how frustrated the players, particularly Holt, looked with their team-mates.  Several times in the second half I noted Holt, running out wide right (in the shade, the lucky sod) turning to whomever hit a pass astray and staring at them, occasionally bringing in the single or double teapot.  The body language of the team belied the pre-kick off huddle and suggests there may be a few issues to be aired before our next game.  I didn''t get the feeling this was a happy squad of players at all.Was it a complete disaster?  Yes, frankly.  Our previous manager (he who shall not be named) occasionally made tactical mistakes - we made Blackburn Rovers look good in both games last season, and that takes some tactical cock-ups to achieve.  But a relatively settled squad of players who know each other were made to look like strangers today, and individual performances were generally piss-poor.  If anyone was wondering why Garrido was brought in on loan, the words "Marc Tierney" should address that point. Snodgrass made perhaps the most disappointing debut since Dave the Striker, and Michael Turner appears to have a rather ironic nickname, seeing as he can''t.  The most dynamic player on display appeared to be Steve Morison.  Ryan Bennett made one excellent block to deny a certain goal, but should have done better with a couple of the others.A rethink all round is needed.  We must beat QPR, as a home performance of that ineptitude would be a catastrophe.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]As I''m sure 101 other people have noted, I have returned from Craven "shhhhh" Cottage and a deeply disappointing performance.   Tactics or teamwork? - both.  The players didn''t seem to know what they were supposed to be doing, but that doesn''t excuse the fact that for large parts of the game they didn''t do the basics of passing, moving, keeping the ball and frustrating the home team.  After the first ten minutes where we cancelled them out, they started finding space down the flanks - and then through the middle - and by the end of the game, pretty much wherever they liked.  Meanwhile we carried on trying to play 4-5-1 without having anyone linking midfield to attack so Holt was running left and right with nobody to feed (bar one 1-2 with Surman, I think) and ended up chasing hoofs from the full-backs.The biggest concern for me was how frustrated the players, particularly Holt, looked with their team-mates.  Several times in the second half I noted Holt, running out wide right (in the shade, the lucky sod) turning to whomever hit a pass astray and staring at them, occasionally bringing in the single or double teapot.  The body language of the team belied the pre-kick off huddle and suggests there may be a few issues to be aired before our next game.  I didn''t get the feeling this was a happy squad of players at all.Was it a complete disaster?  Yes, frankly.  Our previous manager (he who shall not be named) occasionally made tactical mistakes - we made Blackburn Rovers look good in both games last season, and that takes some tactical cock-ups to achieve.  But a relatively settled squad of players who know each other were made to look like strangers today, and individual performances were generally piss-poor.  If anyone was wondering why Garrido was brought in on loan, the words "Marc Tierney" should address that point. Snodgrass made perhaps the most disappointing debut since Dave the Striker, and Michael Turner appears to have a rather ironic nickname, seeing as he can''t.  The most dynamic player on display appeared to be Steve Morison.  Ryan Bennett made one excellent block to deny a certain goal, but should have done better with a couple of the others.A rethink all round is needed.  We must beat QPR, as a home performance of that ineptitude would be a catastrophe.[/quote]

Great summary, precisely as I saw it. We''ve some work to do and no mistake.

Crack on.

The problem is we have had it too good for the last 3 years. Yes it was a shambles today but we have to give Hughton time. He hasnt been here long. Yes 1st game and we looked off the pace but i believe in Hughton and we will be ok. He isnt a magician but we need to be behind him and get behind the lads. Any negativity from the crowd on match days will only make thing worse. Give him a chance.

He''ll get a chance, but the atomosphere at CR next week is going to be electric and raucous.  We know how we like to beat QPR - and its going to have a real edge to it after today''s performance.   There has to be a reaction by the players after today.    Should be interesting............

[quote user="Malcolm Mawkin"]Yes i cant wait. I hate QPR nearly as much as pisswich. There will be a reaction. The atmosphere will be electric.[/quote]

Buzzin here, I like it. Pisswich is new to me, can I be in your gang?

Just 1 milliamp

I agree that the tactics today were completely and utterly wrong... I think that may have been a result of the loss of Culverhouse, who supposedly had it drilled into each players mind the role they had to fulfil against each individual opposition team, which is of course the polar opposite of what was seen today.

However that said, I will not pass judgement on the effort the players put in yet. The system played ensured that we were forced to chase the game for 90 mins straight in 30+ degree heat, which could sap even the fittest of english footballers after only 45 mins! If we had enjoyed more possession i''m sure the ''hands on hips'' and ''lazyness'' wouldn''t have been a factor in our play and im certain the heat played a part in the magnitude of the losses of QPR and Liverpool today as well.

OT though: Maybe this is what England have to look forward to in the ''wonderful'' Qatar world cup... I heard something about 40+ degree averages...

[quote user="Malcolm Mawkin"]Yeah join the gang lalala. Your the one who is always left behind dribbling............[/quote]

loving this, good show. There is some spirit in you.

[quote user="Malcolm Mawkin"]There certainly is. The 18 year old GlenFiddich is going down a treat thank you.[/quote]

I like you :)

(sharesome)

Indeed worrying. There was Holt in the second half standing rigid on the touch line, feet together, hands by his sides, watching the flight of a cross field pass aimed for him fly high, wide and not very handsome. He did this as if to highlight how poor that attempted pass was. Now I know he had run around in hot conditions and had experienced a frustrating afternoon, but he is the captain, and taking the public p*ss out of a team mate is not necessarily conducive to the said team spirit. Was it coincidence that 30 seconds later he was hooked? Anyway it''s just an observation from a previously labelled ''small minded , whinger and whiner'' who happened to be there.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Was it a complete disaster?  Yes, frankly. 
[/quote]

This is what old Bor was trying to say with regard to the friendly games, Mister. A palpable lack of cohesion and cutting edge, and players who didn''t look like they''d learned their lines ready for opening night.  And like all amateur dramatic societies, the sense that "it will be alright on the night!" was quickly dispelled as Fulham clicked and we flopped.  Our Canaries yesterday looked underprepared, underplanned.  And as my old Georgraphy teacher at King Ed used to say:

"fail to prepare? - prepare to fail!"

Your post worries me not because I dont agree but because you have said everyone was rubbish but it was not nothing to do with Holt - He was appalling the dive in the first minute was embarrassing. Not neccessarily his fault because we all know that one upfront is Morrisons job. Please dont take this as a knocking Holt threat it is simply pointing out Holt cannot be excused his part in this.

[quote user="HertsCanary93"] OT though: Maybe this is what England have to look forward to in the ''wonderful'' Qatar world cup... I heard something about 40+ degree averages...[/quote]

If we qualify.