Sign in to follow this  
pete

Elliott Bennet must play

Whether its right side of midfield in competition with Snodgrass, right wing back supporting Russel Martin or just behind Grant Holt remember Swansea last season competition there with Butterfield with Hoolahan to replace late on.

EB looked keen in pre season.

I agree. Thought EB was our most improved player in the latter part of last season. It was certainly evident from melting through the Fulham game that one of the problems was lack of pace in the team. Really hope Hughton goes for it on Saturday - we need to win home games such as this. Please Holt and Jackson or Vaughan to start as well.

I really like him as a player. I only saw the Celtic pre season games, so can''t comment on those - but I felt he finished last season playing really well. He had built up a great understanding with Knaughton (still think its a shame we didn''t make more of a go for KN).What I think EB might need to work on is his confidence. Not just as a player, but also as a man - he seems a bit sort of shy with the others on the pitch (which is refreshing and charming!). I remember one game where we had a free kick outside the area and he was quietly asking Johnson nicely if he wouldn''t mind him taking it, obv. BJ ignored him and hoofed it a mile over the bar. Anyone else would have gone "Step down 50p foot - this mofo''s mine!!" I think he''s just a bit too nice!!

Pretty much agree with everything said in this thread so far.

Although, I would also add that Benno (who shall from hence forth be known as "The Great Benno") can play on the left-wing as well, being quite two-footed.

I think its safe to say that Hughton likes him. I recall someone mention that Hughton was particularly impressed by his ''good feet'' in their first training session.

Give Hughton time. We haven''t begun to see what he''s up to yet. Whatever it is, I''m certain Bennett is a big part of it.

I really like him and rate him, however during the pre season game against BMGB his first touch was off, and heavy. Might just of been a bit of pre season lack of sharpness.

Thought he was very unlucky not to start against Fulham.

He got better and better as last season went on. I actually think his incline masked a bit of a decline for Pilkington towards the end of the season.

Talented and hard working - always a good combination.

Our best winger for me on current form. Dont quite understand why he did start against Fulham given Pilkington''s modest performance against Muchengladbach. Given his defensive qualities I also think now Crofts has gone he is probably the most naturally suited to playing on the right side of the diamond were we to go down that road. I definitely feel whatever system we play on Saturday he deserves to be in the team on merit.

If we can bolster the defence, e.g Bassong and Garido and perhaps a RB to come, then we can release the midfielders further forward. We may lack pace generally in the side but Wes, Surs, Snoddy, Howson are very creative if they can move forward, even if they do not have great pace.

The big question is whether we can afford to operate with two wingers, because this means that we can have only two of the four playing, unless Wes tips the diamond as before. (This ignores the possibility of contribution from Fox and Buttfield, and even Johnson.

What I am implying is that in some ways using two wingers who are not also very good at defending is something of a luxury. At the moment Pilkington seems not be the player he was last year, and I doubt Snoddy''s pace to be really useful down the wing, so I agree with the proposition that Benno should be the one to be selected. Snodgrass and Pilkington are more likely to find themselves quickly surrounded than Benno is. If he can regain the confidence he eventually found last year, and score a few more like the one he did, then his name can be one of the first to be pencilled in each week. 

So Bennett is out of this weekends game with an injury, as is Ward. Is anyone a little worried Bennett could be on the way out? I really hope not, but heard someone mention on twitter the other day he wasn''t in the new squad photo - i don''t even know if this photo has come out, cant find it anywhere so hopefully that''s just hearsay, but it is slightly concerning this injury coincides with it
hopefully this is just another conspiracy theory that comes to nothing

No, Pricey, I''m not worried.

Hughton likes him. I know this as fact. And I wouldn''t be surprised if he actually picked up this knock before the first game, which is why he wasn''t started. Might be on the bench again depending on how bad it is.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]No, Pricey, I''m not worried.

Hughton likes him. I know this as fact. And I wouldn''t be surprised if he actually picked up this knock before the first game, which is why he wasn''t started. Might be on the bench again depending on how bad it is.[/quote]
Yeah, i believe Hughton commented on his good pre-season, picking upon his close control and nice feet. He''s our only winger with pace, would hate to see him move on. The only club i could imagine coming in for him would be Villa, seemed Lambert rated him very highly too.

Came on at Fulham and played really well and was very committed. Took a nasty knock and required lengthy treatment. Despite a cameo appearance I actually had him down as my MOM.

Does not mean he has to start at weekend and may still be feeling that knock but if Snodgrass starts wide right again he will need to up his performance levels considerably to keep Benno out of the side in the future.

RP

[quote user="priceyrice"]So Bennett is out of this weekends game with an injury, as is Ward. Is anyone a little worried Bennett could be on the way out? I really hope not, but heard someone mention on twitter the other day he wasn''t in the new squad photo - i don''t even know if this photo has come out, cant find it anywhere so hopefully that''s just hearsay, but it is slightly concerning this injury coincides with it
hopefully this is just another conspiracy theory that comes to nothing
[/quote]
Not entirely true, Bennett is an injury ''doubt'', he will probably be assessed on the day to see what role (if any) he can perform.