Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Grant Holt - This is what needs to happen

1. Holt needs to return to the club in super fit condition and start the season in great from. He would then get a new deal from Norwich or another club will think that he is worth a big enough fee to persuade Norwich to sell him in the next transfer window. If he returns in poor condition then other clubs won''t want him and the best offer he will get is the one that he already has from Norwich.2. It is really hard to sign a good Premier League striker. Clubs can sign several before they find one that is good enough. Therefore Norwich City need to sign a replacement for Holt a whole season before he is sold.3. It might actually be best for Holt to see out the remaining 2 years of his Norwich contract because providing he keeps himself in good shape, even at 33 he could expect to get a signing-on fee of £1m+ (even from a Championship club or abroad) because he has a proven scoring record. However, if he was to stay for 3 years then he probably wouldn''t get much of a signing-on fee elsewhere.What I would advise:A) If I was Holt''s agent I would be telling Holt to consider staying at Norwich until next summer (when Norwich would be far more likely to sell him) or see out 2 years and then get a signing-on fee (as he would become a free agent). I would then look for an extremely lucrative move to China for a couple of years (same as Drogba is doing) then return to the UK.B) If I was in charge of NCFC then I wouldn''t sell Holt until next summer at the earliest, but I would sign his replacement this summer. I would say to Holt that if he keeps us up for another season then we will listen to offers next summer.

What you say Holt''s agent should say is quite laughable. He obviously wants Holt to move so he gets his nice fat commission.

Paul is right. Agents only ever want one thing - that is to move their clients on for big fees and more wages.

Why do you think Huckerby drove his agent round the bend - all the times he could have moved but didn''t. Holt''s agent is an @rse and won''t rest until he gets him out of CR. I hope McNally wins this one.

[quote user="paul moy"]What you say Holt''s agent should say is quite laughable. He obviously wants Holt to move so he gets his nice fat commission.[/quote]He would get far more commission from a signing-on fee and massive wages in China in 1 or 2 years time.

For one, Holt is not an established Premiership Player, he is a 31 year old 1st Season Premiership player who need to prove his first season wasn''t a fluke!

Second if the club don''t want to offer the a player the contract his agent advises him to go for then it''s time to part and the club were generous enough to give him the contract he wanted last season, if it isn''t good enough he should have only signed it for one season!

I have littel sympathy for Holt, he has been fantastic for Norwich but like Lambert maybe it is time to move on!

Tom your views are sometimes rather odd. I don''t see any reason why a Chinese side would want Holt, they sign old have-beens but only those who are a top name, the fans over there love seeing these big international players signing, the revenue Shanghi will make from signing Drogba is ridiculous, shirt sales will go through the roof, as will the number of supporters at the club. Signing Grant Holt would have no-where near the same effect, i doubt anyone outside of England has ever heard of him.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="paul moy"]What you say Holt''s agent should say is quite laughable. He obviously wants Holt to move so he gets his nice fat commission.[/quote]

He would get far more commission from a signing-on fee and massive wages in China in 1 or 2 years time.

[/quote]

Yup, but he could also suffer a career-ending injury before that. That''s what drives agents .... short-termism !!!!  

[quote user="priceyrice"]Tom your views are sometimes rather odd. I don''t see any reason why a Chinese side would want Holt, they sign old have-beens but only those who are a top name, the fans over there love seeing these big international players signing, the revenue Shanghi will make from signing Drogba is ridiculous, shirt sales will go through the roof, as will the number of supporters at the club. Signing Grant Holt would have no-where near the same effect, i doubt anyone outside of England has ever heard of him.[/quote]The Premier League is watched globally and Holt scored goals against several of the bigger clubs.That is why I said that Holt should stay for another season (or see out his current contract) at Norwich. If he can do the same again then he could get a big offer from China or the USA etc. He would also be in a good position to get such a move as he would have less time remaining on his contract (or he''d be a free agent).However, if Holt was to move this summer on a 3 year deal to West Ham, they already have 10 forwards in their squad so he would be unlikely to get as much time on the pitch, more unlikely to score goals, more unlikely to get noticed by clubs abroad that could give him a massive wage. He would also be stuck on a 3 year deal meaning well paying clubs abroad wouldn''t fancy paying a transfer fee + high wages at his age.

Ok, i''ll put it from another angle, do you really think he would want to up-route his family, 2/3 young girls and a wife to china just for a one off pay day. He will earn enough in the next 2/3 years, either at Norwich or with another prem/champ club, that if he invested it well he could be set up for life. i imagine Holt is going to stay in the football game once he retires, most likely as a coach. I really don''t think more money for Holt is the major cause behind his transfer request, i agree it plays a part, but i very much doubt it would have become what it has if it was just about money. As we know already, the improved terms have been offered to holt, i think perhaps the fact he feels his pride has been hurt or the club has lied to him is a more likely reason for the request. Footballers are extremely arrogant people, Holt is no exception, he wants to feel appreciated, i think the fact he has thrown his toys out of the pram just highlights his immaturity and extreme arrogance. We are not a one man team and i hope we continue with a good team ethos, either with or without Holt, i am not fussed either way anymore, my only concern is getting enough money for him, these bids by spammers are way off the mark.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Ok, i''ll put it from another angle, do you really think he would want to up-route his family, 2/3 young girls and a wife to china just for a one off pay day. He will earn enough in the next 2/3 years, either at Norwich or with another prem/champ club, that if he invested it well he could be set up for life. i imagine Holt is going to stay in the football game once he retires, most likely as a coach. I really don''t think more money for Holt is the major cause behind his transfer request, i agree it plays a part, but i very much doubt it would have become what it has if it was just about money. As we know already, the improved terms have been offered to holt, i think perhaps the fact he feels his pride has been hurt or the club has lied to him is a more likely reason for the request. Footballers are extremely arrogant people, Holt is no exception, he wants to feel appreciated, i think the fact he has thrown his toys out of the pram just highlights his immaturity and extreme arrogance. We are not a one man team and i hope we continue with a good team ethos, either with or without Holt, i am not fussed either way anymore, my only concern is getting enough money for him, these bids by spammers are way off the mark.[/quote]If Holt has aspirations to stay in the game when he retires then the best chance of him achieving that would have been to stay with Norwich (where he would be far more likely to get a chance due to his legendary status).However, he could have damaged that good will relationship due to his transfer request to leave the club.

Where do these people come from? It certainly isn''t from what most of us would class as a ''real world''. Could we not have a separate board for school children??

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jQNeT.png[/IMG]

[/quote]is she naked? and if so.. what the hell is she doing to be pulling that face!?

Tom Cavendish your talking about china? Do you really think Holt is in the same league as Anelka and Drogba?

No he isnt in the same league as them and therefore wouldnt get a big move to china!

1 million signing on fee, i very much doubt that he would get as much as that. he would probably be looking at 250k - 300k signing on fee at the most.

Holt is looking for a retirement fund and he wants Norwich to give it to him, Norwich feel at his age he isn''t going to be worth what he wants and wont break the bank, there is the stumbling block

McNally went back on his word that''s the truth. Grant Holt feels betrayed, he did everything Norwich wanted him to do last January.

and in all fairness i dont blame him!!!

[quote user="thegovernor1"]Tom Cavendish your talking about china? Do you really think Holt is in the same league as Anelka and Drogba?

No he isnt in the same league as them and therefore wouldnt get a big move to china! [/quote]

Holt doesn''t have a profile as high as those two, but if he has another 1

or 2 seasons in the Premier League scoring 15 goals a season then he

would certainly have a very good chance of a move to China when his Norwich contract expires. Clubs in

China are even signing players such as Isaac Chansa who has been playing

in South Africa, and are also trying to sign Yakubu.