Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Pirlo's penalty and Hoolahan

Cant remember who it was against but in the champ winning year (?), Wes ''dinked'' one and cocked up horribly - was basically trying to do what Pirlo did. Wes was given a hard time but would he have been hailed as a genius had he scored in the way Pirlo has? The gap between genius and a joke is a very narrow one.

The only reason Wes tried that against Preston was because he was trying to repeat this:[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsz2onsrjK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsz2onsrjK0[/url]

I said this last night. Dont get me wrong Pirlo was magnficent and man of the match by miles. But if I was one of his teammates I would have been livid with him for taking a penalty in that manner last night. If the keeper doesnt dive you will never get any easier penalty save in your life. Italy are under pressure and in all probability lose the shoutout. All because one person decides to indulge their ego. I thought it was pretty selfish and irresponsible. What made it even more so was that he has tried this in a penalty shootout for Milan against Barcelona and it didnt work. He scored so ultimately everyone has hailed him as a genius but if he had missed everyone would be saying what I just have. But I guess it still isnt as criminal as not hitting the target. Something which Young failed to do.

I don''t see any issue with chipping it down the middle, as long as you vary it. You can hit it straight, left or right, three options, doesn''t matter if you chip it or smash it, if it''s down the middle and the keeper doesn''t dive he''s going to save it.

It''s disrespectful to the keeper by chipping it down the middle. If I was a managed i''d much prefer a player to try and place it rather than try the spectacular.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t see any issue with chipping it down the middle, as long as you vary it. You can hit it straight, left or right, three options, doesn''t matter if you chip it or smash it, if it''s down the middle and the keeper doesn''t dive he''s going to save it.[/quote]

At least if you hit it hard down the middle, the speed of the ball has a chance of defeating the keeper. Beckham''s penalty against Argentina was very central but ultimately it was the pace on it that beat the keeper. So at least you potentially have some insurance if the keeper doesnt dive. I dont see what benefits a chip gives you. Hence why I don''t think it was acceptable. It was pure showboating.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVUtpySic8s

My first thought on Sunday night, he messed up big time, was it after that one or another miss that Holt took over the Pel taking ?

I totally agree, all very calm and clever, but what if he did miss, all the pressure was back on the team mates. Obviously what we dont know is what Mario B knows about Hart in training and what he passed on. Hart does seem quick to commit.

[quote user="Ben"]It''s disrespectful to the keeper by chipping it down the middle. If I was a managed i''d much prefer a player to try and place it rather than try the spectacular.[/quote]

Respecting the keeper seems a rather British attitude Ben! Surely as a striker you''re trying to maximise your chances of scoring whilst minimising the keeper''s chances of preventing you doing so?

Whilst on the subject of goalkeeper wellbeing; strikers who smash the ball might hurt the man with the gloves - perhaps they''d be best advised not do that either!

[quote user="Jacko"]

I said this last night. Dont get me wrong Pirlo was magnficent and man of the match by miles. But if I was one of his teammates I would have been livid with him for taking a penalty in that manner last night. If the keeper doesnt dive you will never get any easier penalty save in your life. Italy are under pressure and in all probability lose the shoutout. All because one person decides to indulge their ego. I thought it was pretty selfish and irresponsible. What made it even more so was that he has tried this in a penalty shootout for Milan against Barcelona and it didnt work. He scored so ultimately everyone has hailed him as a genius but if he had missed everyone would be saying what I just have. But I guess it still isnt as criminal as not hitting the target. Something which Young failed to do.

[/quote]I see your points but he had also scored a penalty like that before for AC Milan against Juventus (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zybbFqzprvI ).I think that penalty did more than just tally up Italys score, it piled mental pressure on Young.. The England players must have been thinking "this guy has dominated us all game, now he''s done that.. it''s written in the stars for him".

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think that penalty did more than just tally up Italys score, it piled mental pressure on Young.. The England players must have been thinking "this guy has dominated us all game, now he''s done that.. it''s written in the stars for him".[/quote]Exactly. The whole mood of the shoot out changed with that penalty. Imagine you are Ashley Young and you are already feeling nervous about ttaking your penalty. You know the history that England have in penalty shoot outs. You know that there is no lay off to a team mate to get you out of doing this on your own. Then Pirlo steps up and takes that penalty with his team a goal down. English players have been proven to be mentally weak time and time again in major tournaments so would be no surprise if that penalty had a profound effect on Young''s confidence. The fact that he smashed his penalty down the middle (the default penalty for those who are nervous and don''t trust their technique) was no surprise.Pirlo''s penalty was class and wrested the initiative back from England. I don''t get the concept of ''disrespecting the keeper''. If you can score your penalty and f*ck with the heads of the opposition then you take it. You have to have huge balls to take the abuse you will get if it goes wrong but that is exactly the kind of player you want taking a penalty.

[quote user="Ben"]It''s disrespectful to the keeper by chipping it down the middle. If I was a managed i''d much prefer a player to try and place it rather than try the spectacular.[/quote]..........sorry, but a load of bull. you are trying to beat your opponents, not becoming engaged to them.

like it or not Pirlo is world class.. Wes isnt.. it takes a huge amount of skill (And some good sized B****ks) to try that and succeed.Read the Antonin Panenka page on Wikipedia, about how he came up with the penalty, and how he knew he would scored when he took it in 1976...incidentally that was the first ever Penalty shootout outside of the English Leagues (According to the book "he always puts it to the left), it was also the first (And only) penalty shootout Germany have ever lost.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]it takes a huge amount of skill (And some good sized B****ks) to try that and succeed.[/quote]Nonsense. It''s not a difficult shot to pull off at all. It''s a simple enough chip for any player at semi pro level to pull off let alone international level. It does take big kahunas that''s for sure. But the actual physical move isn''t hard.

It strikes me the real skill is the ability to diguise what you are doing and that is the main difference between Pirlo and Wes.

[quote user="PKC"]It strikes me the real skill is the ability to diguise what you are doing and that is the main difference between Pirlo and Wes.[/quote]Agreed, although if you watch Wes take his penalty (here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgEMugZNhk ) it''s not at all surprising that the keeper saved it. Not because the keeper read what he was going to do but because Wes''s run up didn''t give the keeper much time to commit.Pirlo said in the paper yesterday that he had noted that Hart was diving around a lot so that''s why he decided to do the chip.

I just think that if a player of Pirlo''s quality steps up and places it in the corner. No keeper in world football is going to save it. Regardless of whether they read his kick or not. Whereas with the chip you are always giving the keeper a pretty decent chance of making the save. For me it wasn''t the percentage option. Thats really the only point I am trying to make. I accept that ultimately he scored which is all that matters and from there it may have affected England psychologically. But it was a pretty staggering gamble.