Sign in to follow this  
BW

Strategy of recruitment

With the current signings it seems we are continuing the theme of young and hungry players ready to prove they can make the step up to the premierleague. Where do you feel our strategy will be if we stay up next season debt free do we increase our scouting network to other countries? Take into account also that we are joining the new academy system this year so we could be trying to find more young talent from sunday leagues around the UK too.

I don''t think we can really say what our strategy is going to be this summer as it is so early. I''m delighted with how it''s going so far, our budget has barely been touched and we''ve got a decent defender who can cover a lot of positions and imo (as i''ve seen him play) a young intelligent attacking midfielder that looked better in the championship than Howson did from the games i''ve seen!

[quote user="super canary"][quote user="lappinitup"]BW didn''t write that, no way.......[/quote]

Nope. Too eloquent.[/quote]I thought that, too.It''s a hard one to judge, but realistically you can only expect a similar style of recruitment with perhaps the odd excursion into the European market - a wider scouting range would be nice. You can''t expect to see radical changes in policy to recruitment, it works now and so the same rules should apply as now, except in a broader, more expensive market.

I can have serious sensible posts at times too. The thing that worries me is that yes the saying goes if it''s not broke don''t fix it however you have always got to be ready for change to stay one step ahead of competitors, keeping things the same doesn''t work and changes are needed to continue growth. When and how is the question?

[quote user="BW"]I can have serious sensible posts at times too. The thing that worries me is that yes the saying goes if it''s not broke don''t fix it however you have always got to be ready for change to stay one step ahead of competitors, keeping things the same doesn''t work and changes are needed to continue growth. When and how is the question?[/quote]Of course, I completely agree - if you don''t change you get left behind and if we don''t change, we will do. But it has to be gradual, I don''t think we can expect the board to completely change the way they are currently operating within a year, but by moving into wider markets, we can began that change, whatever that is. Whatever our requirements are in terms how well we expect to do, we can adapt the policy to suit.We can''t always look for young, hungry, lower league English men as there comes a time when we need to push forward and those players will be surplus to requirements.

[quote user="J"]We can''t always look for young, hungry, lower league English men as there comes a time when we need to push forward and those players will be surplus to requirements. [/quote]Why Can''t We?With the influx of foreign players into the Premiership young British players are finding it hard to get their chance in the top flight. A Premiership club would rather go with an experienced foreign player then an inexperienced British player. I honestly believe that there is enough British talent out there to move us forward and allow us to be successful. You just have to look at out top 3 for the player of the season. Holt had to drop down to the forth division at the experienced age of 27, four seasons later he is the 8th highest scorer in the top division. Ruddy couldn''t get into the Everton team and was sent out on numerous loans, now that he has settled at a team and was given a chance he found himself being called into the England Squad. David Fox wasn''t a regular in the Colchester side when we signed him and has now just finished off a strong season in the Premiership.Granted Holt & Fox probably can''t push us on much further, but they were signed when we were a third division club and newly promoted Championship side, respectively. They also are not on the young side, but they go to show that there are players in the lower leagues (nor had they set the lower leagues alight) that are good enough to play in the Premiership once they are given the chance in a settled side. Ruddy on the other hand is young and has got better and better since first signing for us and should continue to improve, and should become a strong Premiership Goalkeeper.Ruddy along with the likes of Butterfield, Howson, E & R Bennett, Pilkington, Vaughan & Ayala along with the home grown talents of Smith, Adeyemi, Francomb, Rudd & Steer are all going to improve over the next few years. Some will make it and some won''t, but the only way to find out is to give them the chance.I don''t think Norwich should completely ignore all foreign and experience players, but I believe there should be a strong ethos of developing & improving young talent. Norwich does not have the financial muscle to compete for the top established talent, so has to develop it own talent.Clubs go the foreign route as it is the easier option as they don''t have to develop young players that are learning the game which leads them to making mistakes. However, this gives Norwich a great opportunity to exploit this untapped potential. It takes times, but if a strong settled nucleus of a team can be kept together for a number of seasons who knows what can be achieved? You just need to look back at the Norwich team of the early 90''s that had this.

Not sure we know what the recruitment policy is from 2 signings, sure Butterfield fits the lower league young star template but Whittaker doesnt a 28 year old international from a very big club.

If we''re looking for patterns maybe it''s signing 2 footed players.

It''s interesting that whilst we have carried on with what was said to be Lambert''s policy of signing British players Lambert himself appears to have ditched that policy as a Morrocan from the Dutch league is his first signing for Villa. Perhaps our transfer policy had nothing to do with Lambert? Or maybe he''s been told who to sign at Villa?

That morrocan was already in the pipeline before lambert took over so yes in a way told who to sign but i expect we will see with his next signing who lambert really wants unless he really does have no say.

[quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]The truth is that Lambert''s policy was in fact the policy of the NCFC board, Delia told him the budget and told him who to sign, hence the consistency now. Lambert may now falter without the guidance he had from above while he was here.[/quote]

Indeed senor as we have been told numerous times by certain posters that no matter what our CEO says and does he is still a puppet for those that hold the purse strings and all decisions are made by the cook who still refuses to let go of her toy.[;)]