Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Obsession With Paul Rodgers

Good for us but it seems incredible Paul Lambert is not even mentioned with regards to jobs such as Liverpool or Tottenham, for me he would be my first choice if I was the Liverpool chairman.

Lambert has had back-to-back promotions and secured mid-table in the Premiership on a shoe-string, whereas Swansea were more established in Championship when they went up and that was via the play-offs. Rodgers got lucky and plucked for Sigurdsson who he already knew from his Reading days but otherwise they would have finished below us.

And yes Sigurdsson is a good signing for them but he cost £6.8m and he wont improve them (they would have just got weaker had they not signed him), if anything it will be hard for him to sustain the form he showed in second half of the season.

We finished level on points and have only lost Kyle Naughton, at the moment they lost Caulker from Tottenham like us yet spent near £7m to keep the same team.

Oh FFS,How are we expected to take posts like this seriously, when you can''t even get the guys name right???It''s BRENDAN Rodgers, not Paul Rodgers - the rock star of Free, Bad Company and recently Queen fame!I wonder if this ties in with the thread about new posters...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Oh FFS,

How are we expected to take posts like this seriously, when you can''t even get the guys name right???

It''s BRENDAN Rodgers, not Paul Rodgers - the rock star of Free, Bad Company and recently Queen fame!

I wonder if this ties in with the thread about new posters...
[/quote]

Just about to say WHO?

[quote user="Capt_Canary"]

Good for us but it seems incredible Paul Lambert is not even mentioned with regards to jobs such as Liverpool or Tottenham, for me he would be my first choice if I was the Liverpool chairman.

Lambert has had back-to-back promotions and secured mid-table in the Premiership on a shoe-string, whereas Swansea were more established in Championship when they went up and that was via the play-offs. Rodgers got lucky and plucked for Sigurdsson who he already knew from his Reading days but otherwise they would have finished below us.

And yes Sigurdsson is a good signing for them but he cost £6.8m and he wont improve them (they would have just got weaker had they not signed him), if anything it will be hard for him to sustain the form he showed in second half of the season.

We finished level on points and have only lost Kyle Naughton, at the moment they lost Caulker from Tottenham like us yet spent near £7m to keep the same team.

[/quote]

It is an interesting point that Rodgers is being linked with the bigger jobs, whilst Lambert is only linked with things like Aston Villa.

I would imagine it is to do with a couple of factors, Rodgers came into the season with a higher reputation that Lambert due to already having a high standing in the game - the work he did at Chelsea and Reading (in the youth academies) is seen very positively and the fact he can call people such as Mourinho a friend is always seen as a plus point.

With Swansea not only been promoted but stayed up playing a very attractive passing game has also greatly impressed people - Norwich (and by association Lambert) are seen to play a very pragmatic and slightly dull long ball game (Opta Stats shows Norwich played more long passes than any other team in the division).

I would imagine Lambert''s very stand-off manner has also put people off a little - by not giving loads of interviews or nice press soundbites he has managed to stay out of the limelight a little bit.

I think BGY has hit the nail fairly squarely on the head with some good reasons there. I would especially agree with the last one and think Kenny Dalglish was sacked as much in response to his media personna as for his league finish. The biggest clubs, especially the ones with investor owners are desperate for good public images of their clubs for worldwide revenue and while our Lambert''s media handling skills are not as bad as Kenny''s, anyone outside our fine county may struggle to see a difference. We know his management skills far outweigh his apparent chillyness to the media, hopefully it will take a long time for others to realise this too.

Basically media. Lambert and Norwich are on the radar but not overly. Rodgers and Swanselona are crowed from the rooftops constantly. I genuinely believe that a lot of football is dictated by the press and perception which is why someone like Grant Holt will never play for England until he signs for a top-6 club. Would Carroll be England''s No.9 if he''d had the season he''s just had while still at Newcastle?

Anyway, went off topic there. Basically Rodgers is seen as a media favourite so he''ll get more coverage and more attention

Sorry genuinely was a typo! Not with it this morning! Thinking about Paul Lambert and Brendan Rodgers at same time not good! Not like that ;-)

if he takes over at Liverpool (or littlepool as i read somewhere... god the scousers will hate it!) he might get called Kenny Rogers!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Surely with the US link and the amount of spending they''re doing it should be "Buck" Rogers...[/quote]wonder if theres a player named "Hammerstein" he can sign.... oh the headlines!

Is this the same Paul Rodgers allegedly interested in James Morrison (WBA), George McCartney (Sunderland), Aaron Lennon (Spurs), Chris Martin (Norwich), Jeff Hendrick (Derby)? All on a FREE.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Surely with the US link and the amount of spending they''re doing it should be "Buck" Rogers...
[/quote]

I would say Roy Rogers because he''s quick on the trigger

[quote user="Capt_Canary"]Sorry genuinely was a typo! Not with it this morning! Thinking about Paul Lambert and Brendan Rodgers at same time not good! Not like that ;-)[/quote]Oh well, these things happen.  Are you All Right Now?