Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

slightly O/T......Is it too late to get Zak Whitbread back?!?

Nope, he''s agreed a contract with Villa in advance of Lambert going. The contract with Villa was agreed at the same time that Holt handed in his transfer request, for the exact same reasons. They all knew that Lambert was leaving to go to Villa two weeks ago.

Haven''t you been reading this messageboard recently? Do try to keep up! ;)

In seriousness, no, Whitbread won''t come back, as I imagine McNally and co had as much input as Lambert over the contract issues. I also don''t think he was actually that much better than what else we''ve got, so not too fussed.

I could just about stomach that, purely because of his fitness record, but if he thinks he can come back and take any of our players on the cheap he''ll be in for a rude shock?!?.......He''ll need more money than Villa can give hime, name a player Lambert signed for us and you can pretty much treble that price .....Howson ,signed for £2m , now worth £6m?, Pilkington likewise??, Bennett £1.5m , now £4m?, and what of Holt, £5m ,£6m ???

Firstly, I''ll believe it when it happens. There have been so many press inspired rumours during the past two weeks  that I have an inclination that this could well be just another one.

Secondly, I do not believe in a million years that there was ''bust-up'' between McNally and Lambert. It does not fit, besides McNally stated at the outset that he would try to prevent PL talking to anybody as long as he was contracted to NCFC. This was always a bit of bluff to me as it would have been unpreventable. A decent sign of appreciation towards PL, but that was all.

Thirdly, Paul Lambert would have always had talks with Villa should they invite him for them. Why not? They could offer him the Earth and he has a right to test the water. Who wouldn''t?

Fourthly, having talks means just that, having talks and I am hoping that, on a face to face level, the ''Lerner brand''  fails to appeal to PL in the same way that it failed to appeal to Martin O''Neill. Bullshine is bullshine, whatever the accent, and Glaswegians are reknown for their down to earth resistance to it.

Fifth. If  true (and I suspect that it is a big "if") that Lambert did walk out, then this does this  effect any compensation that we get from Villa?

This should be a lot than the Telegraph state in any case (£1m.) Apparently, Swansea will get £3-4m for Rogers.

Lastly, in the worst case scenario there will have to be some agreement drawn up between NCFC and AVFC. This would primarily be centred around this compensation, but it could also include a transfer embargo on our current players. I believe that this is feasable and believe that I have heard of this happening before. A two year gap before Villa could sign any of our current players against our wishes should suffice.

In the meantime fellow Canaries, chillax, the roller coaster of the last fortnight should have reduced our vulnerability to these newspaper rumours and should have hardened our resolve. Take comfort in the fact that the Villa job is a potential banana skin and Lambert is nothing if not cautious.

I think he was better than Ward and Barnett, but not hugely better than Ayala or Bennett. He was a decent player, don''t get me wrong, and I would have liked to have gotten a transfer fee for him rather than going on a free.

But I think we would have wanted to bring another centre half in anyway - we were hardly rock solid at the back last season. If we''re bringing in another centre half, why spend loads of money on signing on fees, bonuses etc. for someone who was not significantly better than what we''ve got, when we could save that money (and, of course, his wages) and go and spend it on someone else.

Ayala and Bennett are strong, I feel, Ward and Martin offer reasonably decent short term cover, now we need one real quality player in there. Whitbread wasn''t that player!

BoradstairsR - "This should be a lot than the Telegraph state in any case (£1m.) Apparently, Swansea will get £3-4m for Rogers."

Didn''t Rogers just sign a 5 year deal though? PL is only on a 1 year deal so we get much less.

Lambert may well be gone, but I still trust his judgement in letting Zak go and don''t think I know better. Plus, the real reason for Zak leaving could have been a disagreement about wages or something, in which case yes it is too late.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Lambert may well be gone, but I still trust his judgement in letting Zak go and don''t think I know better. Plus, the real reason for Zak leaving could have been a disagreement about wages or something, in which case yes it is too late.[/quote]

I''ve heard that Whitbread we be playing for Sunderland next year, on £40K p/w. I''m sure he''s not too disappointed to leave... :)

He was probably one of the higher earners, and it was felt he wouldn''t be first choice next year with Ayala and R. Bennett looking shapely!