Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

NOTHING. Re. Culverhouse.

[quote user="morty"]Short press conference.Very bland and non committal about anything really.Still things going on behind the scenes methinks.[/quote]Legally there''s probably a lot he can''t say. Especially if compensation hasn''t been agreed.

It''s all quite possible Cully could stay with Karsa. There''s still room for an extra if Hooton wants to bring in A N Other. Plus Hooton must know of Cully anyway, so it could all fit nicely.

Culverhouse and Karsa have recently been round the various office''s of Carrow Road saying their goodbye''s - something even Peter Grant did! I remember that day from my time there a few years back.

It''s a nice touch from a much loved management team and something I would have liked Lambert to have done (which I''m assuming he didn''t). It doesn''t necessarily mean that they''re off to Villa, but it would be a shock to me if they weren''t.

I guess that means the compensation figure has been agreed upon OR the person who told me this is feeding me lies...I''d prefer the latter, but can''t see them staying and working with Hughton if he is appointed.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I agree with the comments that in general it all seemed downbeat and Lambert looked uncomfortable and not particularly excited or enthusiastic, but did he ever with us?  I can''t remember Lambert''s first press conference as Norwich manager.

[/quote]Probably because there was little media attention when we were bottom of league one, and the local attention was probably more on the board.

[quote user="morty"]He wasn''t Villa''s first choice.Won''t be drawn on reasons why he quit Norwich.[/quote]Which makes the whole thing odd. Reading between the lines, I guess he expected to be in a relegation scrap with Norwich next season, hence the swift departure.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="morty"]He wasn''t Villa''s first choice.Won''t be drawn on reasons why he quit Norwich.[/quote]Which makes the whole thing odd. Reading between the lines, I guess he expected to be in a relegation scrap with Norwich next season, hence the swift departure.[/quote]Yeah, probably not far from the truth.

We were struggling last few months, few good performances, overall it wasn''t much fun really, was it?

Perhaps the ''Lambert Effect'' was wearing off?

New manager, fresh ideas, fresh impetus, onwards and upwards!

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]We were struggling last few months, few good performances, overall it wasn''t much fun really, was it?

Perhaps the ''Lambert Effect'' was wearing off?

New manager, fresh ideas, fresh impetus, onwards and upwards![/quote]Agree.

Thought he spoke very well.

He''s already gone down very well with local press folks and the supporters over in the Midlands.

I think Villa fans are generally delighted and also crossing their fingers Hughton joins Norwich.

[quote user="AJ"]Thought he spoke very well. He''s already gone down very well with local press folks and the supporters over in the Midlands. I think Villa fans are generally delighted and also crossing their fingers Hughton joins Norwich.[/quote]

Why would villa fans want Hughton to join Norwich?

Just to clarify something above. Villa drew up a short list of 5 managers and held talks with them all. The only one the general public know about is Solksjaer. There were others

BUT they only offered the job to one man after deciding he was the man they wanted. And that was Lambert

It''s the same with Liverpool. They interviewed a few other managers too. But knew after conducting those Rodgers was the one they wanted

[quote user="AJ"]Just to clarify something above. Villa drew up a short list of 5 managers and held talks with them all. The only one the general public know about is Solksjaer. There were others

BUT they only offered the job to one man after deciding he was the man they wanted. And that was Lambert

It''s the same with Liverpool. They interviewed a few other managers too. But knew after conducting those Rodgers was the one they wanted[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that. I don''t doubt for a second Lambert will do a great job for you but he wasnt first choice. If you believe the reports a verbal offer was made and Solskjaer turned it down for personal reasons. Villa came out and said he was the kind of manager they were looking for. They never said unequivocally that he was there first choice like Liverpool did.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="AJ"]Thought he spoke very well. He''s already gone down very well with local press folks and the supporters over in the Midlands. I think Villa fans are generally delighted and also crossing their fingers Hughton joins Norwich.[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d have thought that was glaringly obvious!

Because he manages their rivals and is considered a good manager. Him leaving will mess them up

And Villa supporters don''t care who or what happens at Norwich obviously

I would love it if Culverhouse stayed. Lambert would be totally lost without him.Also notice that the Villa cheif exec said that some Villa players would be leaving.Lambert will be totally lost without Culley and having to sell his best players.

Solksjaer wasn''t even asked back for a second round of talks neverming offered the job. And that''s a fact even he confirmed

Just because Randy Lerner sent his private jet to pick him up for a chat people assumed he was being offered the job. But it was just a touch of class that someone got wind of and blew up a media storm in Norway

I can state without any doubts the Villa heirachy are absolutely chuffed with their choice. Now just watch how much backing he gets this summer

That''ll be the proof in the pudding

PS

Culverhouse and Kalsa will be at Villa by the weekend

He withdrew for family reasons. Thats not the version I have heard at all.

[quote user="AJ"]PS

Culverhouse and Kalsa will be at Villa by the weekend[/quote]Frankly we couldn''t care less, as long as you pay the proper compensation.

But to be honest its irrelevant whether he was 1st, 3rd or 10th choice. He is your manager now and I think he will do well. If we get the compensation we are entitled to and get Hughton signed up I think everything can close the book on this whole business.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="AJ"]PS

Culverhouse and Kalsa will be at Villa by the weekend[/quote]Frankly we couldn''t care less, as long as you pay the proper compensation.

[/quote]

Exactly. To be honest if Hughton is so keen on bringing his own management team (which he appears to be). It is probably for the best that they go rather either hanging around as an awkward compromise or us potentially having to pay them off.

[quote user="AJ"]Thought he spoke very well.

He''s already gone down very well with local press folks and the supporters over in the Midlands.

I think Villa fans are generally delighted and also crossing their fingers Hughton joins Norwich.[/quote]Time will tell. Depends how much money he''s going to be given and how patient the fans are going to be.I fully expect to be hearing "He''s done brilliant for me" about all these tempremental players

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote] I''d have thought that was glaringly obvious! Because he manages their rivals and is considered a good manager. Him leaving will mess them up And Villa supporters don''t care who or what happens at Norwich obviously[/quote]

Yes because you are so shortsighted.  It would be better for Villa if Norwich had a cr ap manager as we are one of your rivals.  But carry on in your dreamland of European brilliance that is Aston Villa and that what Norwich do or how good they are has no relevance on Villa who will now be pushing top 6.

I mistakenly thought you were going to post something slightly insightful, like that if Hughton joins he will want to bring his own men which will mean that Karsa and Culverhouse will have to be released by Norwich, meaning Villa can sweep them up without paying any compensation.

Lambert was not first choice and you will not be making any Darren Bent esque signings any time soon.

Is it possible that Villa are waiting for us to buy out Cully and Karsa? That would save them paying compensation. Surely they can''t be that cynical?

If, as seems likely, we appoint Hughton, at the very least we should wait for Lambert to sound out Cully and Karsa. Of course Villa wouldn''t be approaching them at all - they will just resign and go. Otherwise it would iniquitous - that we buy them out, and then receive no compensation! I presume that the compensation would be a lot less that that we (might) lose on Lambert.

For what it''s worth, I would prefer us to sign Cully (- not sure what Karsa does - put out the cones?), if Hughton and Cully could work together.

Have mixed feelings about Calderwood- he failed as a manager, but managed to upset Holt. If he came, that would give Holt another push!

[quote user="Jacko"]

[quote user="AJ"]Just to clarify something above. Villa drew up a short list of 5 managers and held talks with them all. The only one the general public know about is Solksjaer. There were others BUT they only offered the job to one man after deciding he was the man they wanted. And that was Lambert It''s the same with Liverpool. They interviewed a few other managers too. But knew after conducting those Rodgers was the one they wanted[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that. I don''t doubt for a second Lambert will do a great job for you but he wasnt first choice. If you believe the reports a verbal offer was made and Solskjaer turned it down for personal reasons. Villa came out and said he was the kind of manager they were looking for. They never said unequivocally that he was there first choice like Liverpool did.

[/quote]

I got the feeling it was a bit of last chance saloon stuff, PL looked as everyone has said a bit on the none committle side but I think he was being his normal self and playing cards close to his chest, but he has never said anywhere he has managed that he will be here for the long haul, and I can Honestly see him being out of a job come Christmas, for one reason or another he will walk or they will sack him, No I do not want that to happen to him but I get the feeling thats all, And perhaps he realises his mistake, Also if he left as he said private reasons I think that might be the bust up in the board room, And Go away  may be the answere he gets if he comes calling for our players, worrying factor is he will know any release clause figures if any at all.