Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Simon Lappin

Thought he was immense today and was MOTM for me!!! Would have capped it off if his free kick had gone in!!

He did alright but he had very little to worry about down his side, apart from the odd run forward from Cuellar - who isn''t the most dangerous of players.

Yeah, what Lappin had to do he did well but there were a couple of times he could have been more adventurous going forward and made runs to exploit space.

It''s easy to look a good player when you''ve got loads of time and space and virtually nothing to worry about defensively.

Lappin has given the club great service after a sticky start (through no fault of his own) but if we want to club to move forward we have to bring better players in.

I''d give him another year on his contract. He has proved himself to be a useful squad member at this level.

Yes, totally agree that we have to bring better players in. I feel that Lappin, Wilbo, Jackson and Ward may have done the Club an extra favour by impressing the way they have at the higher level, when called upon. I can''t recall their contractual situations, but Championship clubs with funds would surely be willing to acquire these players and any money in would be a bonus for us in the transfer market. There are a few players out on loan who might attract fees too. It all adds up.

We now need to aim that one step higher, but I don''t think any major changes are afoot..

The thing is, players cost money. It''s a squad game - especially when you see the way Lambert picks his sides. Even if we sold Lappin, Wilbo, Jackson, then we''d still have to spend more than that to bring someone better in (more than likely in transfer fee AND wages).

Eventually, yes, they will need to be replaced if we plan on becoming a regular top half side who may possibly have a chance of sneaking into Europe. But we''re not going to be able to do that for a couple of years yet until we''ve got a bit more dosh behind us. Until then,why get rid of players who have shown they can do a good job? Lappin especially covers a number of positions, so is useful. Wilbraham and Jackson, as out and out strikers, are perhaps more likely to be replaced by someone better. Whilst, as I said in the other thread, I don''t think the left hand side needs strengthening much, Lappin does over some good flexibility and has shown he is capable of doing a job at least. I''d give him another year or so.

Lappin has performed as well as he could in all four premiership appearances this season. Very solid, even put in a few decent crosses. And must have come pretty close with that FK yesterday, haven''t seen it again but looked like a pretty decent Given save to keep it out.

Lappin will probably be here next season, just because his transfer fee would be so little its not worth selling him, and he can do a job as a squad player, and is clearly happy to do that.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Lappin has performed as well as he could in all four premiership appearances this season. Very solid, even put in a few decent crosses. And must have come pretty close with that FK yesterday, haven''t seen it again but looked like a pretty decent Given save to keep it out. Lappin will probably be here next season, just because his transfer fee would be so little its not worth selling him, and he can do a job as a squad player, and is clearly happy to do that.[/quote]

Yes but having achieved the Premiership player tag on his cv will mean that he Wilbraham, Jackson, Ward and Crofts are players who are now at the peak of their value for any club with a bit of money to spend, either in the lower leagues or abroad. Their combined appearances this season indicate that they have been also rans, except went needed. Cash in when we can.

If we are to progress we need better than these players, if it only means players who are pushing for a first team place rather than players who are useful when needed. I would rather have Pacheco than Wilbers and Jacko combined. It is probably unfair to include Jackson really as he has surprised me, done very well and earned himself a reputation at the top level. To me, this only increases his value though.

This may seem contradictory, but I do not think that he is the complete Premiership striker. Complete Championship striker? Yes, so cash in.