Sign in to follow this  
manbearpig

A footballers view on it all

Robbie Savage has been Tweeting about the Grant Holt situation and is being very honest and open heres what he said so far!

When you put a transfer request in you have somewhere bigger and better to go to and you get more money usually you''ve been tapped up !

If it doesn''t come off you usually get a new contract !!

I''m speaking from experience !

I had 2 managers on the phone to me when I was happy at a club, 10k a week more bigger club my head was in pieces !

If I had stayed at the club I''d of got a new contract I couldn''t lose , you think about yourself and your family !

This is the players career.

Essentially, for them at least, its no different to any job. They need to earn as much money as they can. I''m sure for a lot of players, first team football, loyalty and success comes into it as well, but essentially its their job and their aim is to earn as much money as they can to support themselves and their family.

If Holt knows he can get more elsewhere, why wouldn''t, and shouldn''t he take that chance? Or force NCFC into giving him as much as they can...

Savage is right of course, not an easy choice but essentially its something that a player has to do to get more money for themselves.

Nothing gets past our Robbiewhoever would have thought that players might use the threat to go elsewhere as a means to secure a better deal.............. thank god that sort of thing doesn''t happen elsewhere in society

If this is all that''s in it, then I hope it will be sorted shortly, we''ll give him the pay rise and forget it ever happened. I wouldn''t begrudge him doing it if we have ruled out the possibility of him getting more money and this is the only way he feels he can do so.

However, I''m just hoping there is nothing in the rumours about him wanting to move back up north. If it is money related, then to be honest we should be able to solve the issue - how many more clubs are going to want to spend a 31 year old who has had one decent season in the prem a lot more than we can offer? If it''s not money related, then we have a problem, because there''s not much we can do about it.

I did it once. Told my manager I had an offer from a competitor ( which I had ) and was thinking of leaving. "Leave it with me " she said. By the end of the week I had a 10% pay rise. Sorted [:)]

"then we have a problem, because there''s not much we can do about it"or more likethere''s not much he can do about itwe hold his registration, he is under contract with us for another couple of yearspretty much all in our hands

[quote user="marvin the martian"]I did it once. Told my manager I had an offer from a competitor ( which I had ) and was thinking of leaving. "Leave it with me " she said. By the end of the week I had a 10% pay rise. Sorted [:)][/quote]

I did the same. Only by the end of the week I had my P45. Sorted[:)]

If he genuinely wants to go and it''s not about money, then whilst it is technically in our hands, city 1st, what would be the point in trying to keep hold of someone who wants out? If he genuinely wants to leave for whatever reason, I''d rather cash in on him and get someone else. If it''s just a ploy to get more money (which does seem the most likely), then give it him and move on.

agree, but it''s still pretty much in our handsand if we want a better price then a bit of ''reluctance'' on our part will not go amiss

Definitely. I would have been very surprised if we had accepted the transfer request; it''s basically asking someone to come and take him off our hands. If he does genuinely want to go, then we have certainly got a good bargaining position as you point out. He''s 31, if he leaves it until his contract runs down then at 33 he''s unlikely to be getting a big money move. So it''s then up to Holt''s agent (I assume) to drum up an offer from somewhere that suits us well.

[quote user="Aggy"]If he genuinely wants to go and it''s not about money, then whilst it is technically in our hands, city 1st, what would be the point in trying to keep hold of someone who wants out? If he genuinely wants to leave for whatever reason, I''d rather cash in on him and get someone else. If it''s just a ploy to get more money (which does seem the most likely), then give it him and move on.[/quote]That''s of course Lambert & McNally aren''t that soft and eventually says second thoughts sod off we''ve sold you to .......

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This is the players career.

Essentially, for them at least, its no different to any job.[/quote]That''s very true.  Today I wrote some blinding emails and knocked out a couple of decent first draft RFPs, and at lunchtime my agent called me to tell me Aviva would offer me double what I''m getting paid at (redacted). 

Agreed. I thought it might be interesting had McNally accepted the transfer request. Ok Grant, we''ll sell you if you want to go, where have you got in mind?

Oh, well, actually, nowhere. I was just hoping you might give me some more money.

Who knows. (And I''m aware that would have been a risky strategy from us which could have pushed him out - but it would have been interesting!) I''m sure we''ll get a better picture in the next few days.

"So it''s then up to Holt''s agent (I assume) to drum up an offer from somewhere that suits us well."which may not be too easyit''s no coincidence that he has enjoyed the best spell of his career at City and under Paul  Lambert, so there''s no guarantee he can be certain of achieving that elsewhereI will still maintain that he has felt he has been painted into a corner rather than simply being greedy

By whom? The club or his agent? Or both?

I''m inclined to probably agree that it won''t just be him being greedy, at least I''d like to think not - and that''s why I''m slightly worried it could be something like wanting to move back up north even if that perhaps seems fairly unlikely. If his agent has been pushing him for it, he doesn''t have to agree with his agent, he could have asked the club and accepted it when they said no surely?

Holt''s doing a Brian Clough! Clough used to threaten resign from Derby all the time in order to get an increased transfer budget, Holt''s doing the same threatening to leave in order to get an increased wage. This could backfire though (as it eventually did with Clough) Lambert doesn''t like players going public and may just sell him.