Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Holt to Everton?

Dont they have a few strong strikers up there?

Would be a squad player and obv not as skint as they say if they can come up with the 3-5 million for holt

Yes I think Everton would be interested in Holt and would be able to pay the £5M but -

Everton aren''t that flush with funds and would they think paying a large fee for a 31YO whos been in the most part a lower journeyman, had one good season in the top flight and would only be a good squad player at the most?

Holt would get his big move to bump up his pension but the odds if him being successful in the same way as he has at Norwich would be very minimal!  

Agree. Everton are a nice club, like us, with a decent bloke for a manager, like us. Wouldnt be too sad if thats where he ended up.

Holt would have to have four locking wheel-nuts on each wheel on his car, when he parks at Everton''s training groud....

[quote user="super canary"]Agree. Everton are a nice club, like us, with a decent bloke for a manager, like us. Wouldnt be too sad if thats where he ended up.[/quote]

Can''t agree with that SC as I probably go way back further than you. I ''ve always resented the Toffees as they always seem to have played a part in contributing to some of the lower moments in our history.

I suppose it began with Heysal. Not Evertonions, I know, but the behaviour of  Scousers (I resent Liverpool FC nearly as much) none the less led to the five year ban of English clubs from European competition and with it went our first ever chance of competing at this level.

Onto our knock-out in the semi-final of the FA Cup in April 1989. It was the day of Hillsborough and apparently we were dominating the game as had been predicted. Story had it that the Everton players were kept in the dark about this tradegy at half-time, whilst ours were informed. The tide of the game turned and Everton went on to win with some claiming that our own players were no longer in the correct frame of mind for the contest. True or not, out went our best ever chance of reaching an FA Cup final and of lifting the trophy.   

In 1984 they poached Mike Walker, hitherto our most successful manager ever and to rub it in we were relegated that year by whom? Yes Everton who snatched a last gasp victory over Wimbledon, having been two nil down. This game was later to be tainted by allegations of bribery against the Wimbledon goalkeep Hans Seegars, who had a shocker when it mattered most. Walker did not last the year before they dumped him.

If they take our Grant, then I will be even more resentful and I have not even mentioned when they once, in the dark ages, poached our star player Jimmy Hill for a paltry £35,000 and then let him fester in the reserves.

Any more examples anybody?

OK, this post is a bit tongue- in-cheek and stretching it a bit, but us oldie football supports have long-memories and enjoy our resentments. Besides, it''s nice to go back over the years sometimes. [:)][:)]

Besides toffees stick in my false teeth, so can''t abide them. Everton? Bar humbug.

They got us relegated by taking their foot off the gas after winning the title by losing to Coventry after we had played our last game.

You have also missed the year they were Champions and were allowed to play Coventry after the season had finished.

Coventry needed a win to stay up and send us down and Everton were already on holiday and didnt even bother.

Might have even been the reason all games on the last day are played at the same time.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]They got us relegated by taking their foot off the gas after winning the title by losing to Coventry after we had played our last game.[/quote]

Yes, I recall something about that.

Remind me Mr. B. What was the significance of the Wimbledon Everton game then? Did it not impact upon us? My memory is cloudy at times.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="super canary"]Agree. Everton are a nice club, like us, with a decent bloke for a manager, like us. Wouldnt be too sad if thats where he ended up.[/quote]

Can''t agree with that SC as I probably go way back further than you. I ''ve always resented the Toffees as they always seem to have played a part in contributing to some of the lower moments in our history.

I suppose it began with Heysal. Not Evertonions, I know, but the behaviour of  Scousers (I resent Liverpool FC nearly as much) none the less led to the five year ban of English clubs from European competition and with it went our first ever chance of competing at this level.

Onto our knock-out in the semi-final of the FA Cup in April 1989. It was the day of Hillsborough and apparently we were dominating the game as had been predicted. Story had it that the Everton players were kept in the dark about this tradegy at half-time, whilst ours were informed. The tide of the game turned and Everton went on to win with some claiming that our own players were no longer in the correct frame of mind for the contest. True or not, out went our best ever chance of reaching an FA Cup final and of lifting the trophy.   

In 1984 they poached Mike Walker, hitherto our most successful manager ever and to rub it in we were relegated that year by whom? Yes Everton who snatched a last gasp victory over Wimbledon, having been two nil down. This game was later to be tainted by allegations of bribery against the Wimbledon goalkeep Hans Seegars, who had a shocker when it mattered most. Walker did not last the year before they dumped him.

If they take our Grant, then I will be even more resentful and I have not even mentioned when they once, in the dark ages, poached our star player Jimmy Hill for a paltry £35,000 and then let him fester in the reserves.

Any more examples anybody?

OK, this post is a bit tongue- in-cheek and stretching it a bit, but us oldie football supports have long-memories and enjoy our resentments. Besides, it''s nice to go back over the years sometimes. [:)][:)]

Besides toffees stick in my false teeth, so can''t abide them. Everton? Bar humbug.

[/quote]

Sorry, Broadstairs, but what , precisely, is any of the above Everton (or their fans'') fault ?!

I can see the resentment to Liverpool re Heysel  and the ban etc, but just because Everton are from the same city is rather like blaming Brentford for the financial excesses at Chelsea, Drogba''s diving, and Joey Barton''s antics in a QPR shirt !

Relax Eric, I did say it was tongue-in -cheek and stretching it a bit.

Most of us have teams that we are less fond of, for one reason or the other.

Everton just happen to be mine as they seem have had some connection with many of the lows in our history. False prejudice I know.

I will never forgive them for Mike Walker for a starters.