Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Capping players wages, will it happen? when will it all stop?

This in the paper today, yes its paper talk, but i wouldn''t be surprised if true?Manchester City are offering Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, 28, a £250,000-a-week deal to lead their attack.

Truely amazing, does anyone know the footballer who earns the most per week?

Yaya Toure has to be up there on £250,000 a week?In terms of the cap it obviously needs to be implemented everywhere and not just here as if you were to do that everyone would move to a different league. This financial fair play thing their implementing for teams going into europe is a decent idea, although it already seems as if teams are getting around it. Man City who with all their spending are making massive losses have already just signed a more expensive sponsorship deal with etihad (who man citys owners also own) which obviously brings in more money into the club.

I thought Eto was probably the highest. Staggering amount. But the place is a complete warzone. The players train in Moscow and only fly in for the games. So no wonder they need to sweeten the deal with ridiculous sums of money.

It will stop when Financial Fair Play is strongly implemented and Man City, Chelsea etc are banned from European competition. This must happen for the sake of football.

One thing I find ridiculous is how clubs can run with debts of £600 Million or so like Man United or Barcelona have. Im guessing they can probably sustain this debt but it still seems wrong.

Wayne Rooney is on over £200,000 a week but the there are 4 Manchester city players on that amount too, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Aguero and Silva. Ridiculous sums of money. And Financial FairPlay won''t stop it unfortunately as teams like Man City find loopholes in the law. Such as agreeing a £400 million "sponsorship deal" with the owners brothers airline.

Was reading the other day that spanish clubs owe their government £2.8 billion in tax arrears.We (the UK taxpayer) have just given £10 billion to the EU bail out fund.It''s ludicrous that clubs can pay such ridiculous wages when they are technically insolvent and that includes Barca and Real Madrid who owe the government £1 billion just between them.

[quote user="Ben "]Wayne Rooney is on over £200,000 a week but the there are 4 Manchester city players on that amount too, Yaya Toure, Tevez, Aguero and Silva. Ridiculous sums of money. And Financial FairPlay won''t stop it unfortunately as teams like Man City find loopholes in the law. Such as agreeing a £400 million "sponsorship deal" with the owners brothers airline.[/quote]

I agree and that is why I said it has to be ''strongly'' implemented. Man City''s loopholes are already under investigation.

The wage cap in itself is not going to work unless implemented everywhere - otherwise players will just go where they can get the money. We don''t want that. I''d rather see quality players in the same two or three English teams than I would see them playing abroad.

Financial Fair Play is interesting, it may make some difference, but it''s not even loopholes as such. I don''t know the ins and outs of it all, but if you''re getting a sponsorship deal of that much, regardless of where it''s from, then I can''t see how FIFA/UEFA can do much about it really.

It would be fun if  one day the FA started with a level playing field, giving each team for example £50M to spend on transfer fees and wages at the start of the season. Then it would be which team has the best manager rather than the most money.

[quote user="Aggy"]The wage cap in itself is not going to work unless implemented everywhere - otherwise players will just go where they can get the money. We don''t want that. I''d rather see quality players in the same two or three English teams than I would see them playing abroad. Financial Fair Play is interesting, it may make some difference, but it''s not even loopholes as such. I don''t know the ins and outs of it all, but if you''re getting a sponsorship deal of that much, regardless of where it''s from, then I can''t see how FIFA/UEFA can do much about it really.[/quote]

It won''t actually be a wage cap but a restriction on how much loss a club can make over any 3 year period which will in itself constrain ridiculous salaries. The payment to Man City is being investigated because it is via a linked company and could be interpreted as similar in principle to ''unfair state support''. Failure of FFP could IMO mean that governments may step in as restrictions on this crazy industry could glean widespread popular support.  

[quote user="Gareth"]Association Football has got nothing on the NBA when it comes to wages.[/quote]You would think so but actually Gareth the NBA''s highest annual payroll is that of the Boston Celtics and it''s a whopping $87,581,578Thing is Man Citys last annual payroll was cited as £174,000,000 = 281,000,000 US Dollars which is over treble that of the Boston Celtics.LA Lakers'' Kobe Bryant is the single highest earner on $25m pa = £15,450,000 pa or less pw than Eto''o has been quoted as being on So it seems association football is where the real moneys at.

source http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Don''t get me started on the Spanish ''whoareyou'', the country pleads poverty but spends a bloody fortune (of OUR money)!