Sign in to follow this  
beardface69

442 please

Can we please play with 2 wingers and 2 strickers this saturday ? i still am a little concerned with our current form and just want to see us over the finish line ! I accept different formations for different teams but its becoming a little annoying when we pay a fortune to watch these games and the teams constantly changed ! Testing formations out before were safe boggles me we looked a far better team when we played down the wings at fulham ! Holt jackson up top bennet pilks (if fit) on wings howson in middle with ... would like to say holahan but could get overrun ! just get the ball in the box get to 40+ points then change as much as you like lambert !!!!!!!!!! 

Whilst being unhappy about the seeming over-tinkering at the moment I am reluctant to criticise PL or delve into the ins and outs of his methods the way you do.

He is the manager, with experience and success and he was a player who reaacahed the heights. His credentials amount to more than all on this Board.

By comparison, what do we know?

One of the reasons for our success has been the changing formations/players.  Like it or not it is a strategy that overall has worked in our first season back in the top flight.   It''s been the difference in a few games where the opposition has not been able to work us out.   If it hasn''t worked, the options are on the bench to change it - as Lambert frequently does.   

442,  451,  3511,  352,  good old 424, 433,  it shouldn''t matter - the more formations the manager uses and the more we try them the more flexible the players become at adapting to them.    If we trust the manager to do his job - and my goodness hasn''t he earned our trust -  then I would accept what ever he decides and watch without judging until after the match.    He is moulding this squad into a modern, thinking, flexible unit.  

Having said that - would love to see 442 too!! [:)]

I have found it impossible to second guess Paul Lambert''s team selections all season. I don''t see him doing anything different recently to be fair. It''s just if we don''t win we analyse his team selections for faults but when we win he''s a genius!

We haven''t lost any more games than can be reasonably expected so defeats probably have nothing to do with changing the team. How do any of us know if the defeats wouldn''t have been heavier if Lambert had played our preferred team?

[quote user="beardface69"]Can we please play with 2 wingers and 2 strickers this saturday ? i still am a little concerned with our current form and just want to see us over the finish line ! I accept different formations for different teams but its becoming a little annoying when we pay a fortune to watch these games and the teams constantly changed ! Testing formations out before were safe boggles me we looked a far better team when we played down the wings at fulham ! Holt jackson up top bennet pilks (if fit) on wings howson in middle with ... would like to say holahan but could get overrun ! just get the ball in the box get to 40+ points then change as much as you like lambert !!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]........so basically you are saying that beause you are paying a lot to watch a match, you should pick the team. well, let''s get rid of lambert and save his salary then. simples.[6]

Let the manager manage - the players play - and the supporters moan when the manager and the players don''t do what we, the experts,  tell them to.PL does what all good managers do, he chops and changes players, formations and tactics in an effort to find out what works best for any given situation and for any given opposition.442 and 433 etc. would never have come about if managers and coaches had just stuck to the old line-up of 235 - some of you young whippersnappers won''t even remember that formation of course and it took the Hungarians to teach us a lesson on that one.p.s. despite what PL says publicly, he knows there is no danger of relegation and now is the time to experiment and find out what new players he needs -  not leave it to pre-season.

4-4-2 please. I do not think we have the quality to be playing these more difficult formations with the players that we have and being competitive in this division at this stage. Our players are learning and I like Lambert doing it in a few games but we need a little run and good form going into tough tough games and the off season, secondly we need players coming into form.However more importantly please can we shift the ball at pace to our wide players. The last two weeks we have played 5-10 yard players in amongst our central midfield and got the ball going nowhere. The opposition have never been stretched or troubled by it.Please get the ball out quick out to the wide players and go for the two big forwards in the box who will cause every centre halves problems.

[quote user="smooth"]4-4-2 please. I do not think we have the quality to be playing these more difficult formations with the players that we have and being competitive in this division at this stage. Our players are learning and I like Lambert doing it in a few games but we need a little run and good form going into tough tough games and the off season, secondly we need players coming into form.However more importantly please can we shift the ball at pace to our wide players. The last two weeks we have played 5-10 yard players in amongst our central midfield and got the ball going nowhere. The opposition have never been stretched or troubled by it.Please get the ball out quick out to the wide players and go for the two big forwards in the box who will cause every centre halves problems.[/quote]Smooth you echo what I would love to see us get back to doing. Not sure we will see the wingers today, have a feeling the diamond is going to be employed. It''s hard to criticise Lambert and his constant changing of formations and players, because with the squad we have, we have most defiently punched above our weight this season, however i do sometimes feel we play weaker team formation (as in not best suited for our team) to encorporate some of our best individual players, such as Wes and Surman.For me i would love to see Bennet and Pilky starting today and being told to stay at wide and whip the ball in for Morro and Holt to cause trouble in the box. Howson and Fox in  the middle to break up play and ping the ball around the park.Bennet and Whitbred at the back with Lappin (for his crossing) and Naughten at full back

2nd guessing Lambert at times like this - with two games in three days - is difficult.    Strong and tough today then more expansive on Monday?  Or the other way round?   Go for it today and then be more defensive at Tottingham? 

We would all hope he goes for it today - but being the pragmatist he is, he may well decide to keep things tight against a strong |Everton outfit. If he thinks last week had some good signs - which it did - and we can keep tighter defensively - might he go for the 3 5 2 ?

Holt Wilbraham

Howson   Fox    Hoolahan

Lappin                                E Bennett

Zak   R Bennett  Martin

subs - Ward, Morison, Pilkington, Naughton,  Jackson.

Radical I know - but actually looks balanced (to me anyway). 

I would like to see that exact midfield too priceyrice.Jackson and Holt upfront, with Drury, Bennett, Ward and Naughton at the back for my preferred team though. I think today would be the ideal time to see if Howson and Fox can be strong enough to cope in a more flat 4-4-2, as it will be very tough in midfield today whoever Moyes picks with the likes of Fellani, Gibson, Neville, Osman, Cahill and Jelavic all being able to mix it up as well as plsy a little bit.We will not get many opportunities to test whether we have the strength in midfield to cope against that type of opposition. I think Lambert could go with a 5 man midfield again though as this along with their defensive game is one of Everton''s strong points. Everton are on a bit of a roll at the minute and it is vital that we do not let their midfield dictate the game.

No not at all lambert has earned the right to chop and change as he likes ... all i was saying is when we took a massive following to fulham spend best part of 8 hours on trains and under ground cramp up like sardines ... spent over a 100 quid .. left the house at 6.30 in morning and got home by 11.00 at night i was a little disappointed how we set out our team when fulham were there for the taking !! so your telling me when you on the way too fulham if you went ??? The news came through we were playing 3 center halfs 1 up top you thought i am pleased with that !!!!!!! The pub i was in i would say 5 out of 1 were a little annoyed we were being so negative !!! The introduction of jackson at half time then bennet later on we looked a far more balanced and attacking team !!! so as for stating 442 that is what you call simples !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Gruffalo I hope he''s not facing his final curtain...Not so much the set up that''s worried me lately but the response from our players when it doesn''t seem to be working... I think it''s just been one of those patches  and in  a couple of those games we could have had just a tad more luck and wouldn''t be having this discussion now