Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Blimey, are some of you a bit slow or something?

I expect the usual wining and moaning after a defeat, even when we are where we are, but this is truly one of the biggest over-reactions to a game i can remember. Some people were definitely expecting too much from this game, i''d already posted that Sunderland where 2nd after Man City in the form table and after the latest round thy are now top. Oh and they beat Man City too. They have players that are light years ahead of ours in terms of individual ability and experience. ONeill has simply done to them what Lambert has done to us.- turned them in to a team and got the best out of them. And sorry if some of you can''t stomach it, but their best is better than our best. Fact.

I think we will survive in this league because there are enough teams that are underperforming, and a couple that are similar to us. We will though have to keep performing at or around 90% to beat other teams performing at 60%.

The players are not machines, so they won''t be able to do that in every game. Anyone who has played even regular park football knows that some days everything you hit goes in the net, other days, you can''t even find a pass.

But i can''t believe some of the rubbish - Hools not up to the PL, Johnson and Crofts too, Morison doesn''t care, and Wilbraham, positively derided ever since he got here, is now being touted as the next big thing. If someone had said last year he should get a chance to play in our PL season, they''d have been carried off on a stretcher.

Lambert has out together a team of ''cheap'' and obviously not world beating players, all with different attributes so that he can mix and match his team according to the plan he thinks will get a result. He''s a f***in magician as far as i''m concerned for repeatedly coming up with a concoction of ingredients that get results. Sometimes, it''s not going to work. But if we can stay in the league, he will start to be able to add players with greater ability. So get over it, understand it, support the team, and stop undermining everything Lambert and co have done in the last 3 years.

Grrrrr. Fools.

(I''m laid up at home with man flu by the way, so particularly stroppy today)

What sort of fans are we?

[quote user="a1canary"]I expect the usual wining and moaning after a defeat, even when we are where we are, but this is truly one of the biggest over-reactions to a game i can remember. Some people were definitely expecting too much from this game, i''d already posted that Sunderland where 2nd after Man City in the form table and after the latest round thy are now top. Oh and they beat Man City too. They have players that are light years ahead of ours in terms of individual ability and experience. ONeill has simply done to them what Lambert has done to us.- turned them in to a team and got the best out of them. And sorry if some of you can''t stomach it, but their best is better than our best. Fact. I think we will survive in this league because there are enough teams that are underperforming, and a couple that are similar to us. We will though have to keep performing at or around 90% to beat other teams performing at 60%. The players are not machines, so they won''t be able to do that in every game. Anyone who has played even regular park football knows that some days everything you hit goes in the net, other days, you can''t even find a pass. But i can''t believe some of the rubbish - Hools not up to the PL, Johnson and Crofts too, Morison doesn''t care, and Wilbraham, positively derided ever since he got here, is now being touted as the next big thing. If someone had said last year he should get a chance to play in our PL season, they''d have been carried off on a stretcher. Lambert has out together a team of ''cheap'' and obviously not world beating players, all with different attributes so that he can mix and match his team according to the plan he thinks will get a result. He''s a f***in magician as far as i''m concerned for repeatedly coming up with a concoction of ingredients that get results. Sometimes, it''s not going to work. But if we can stay in the league, he will start to be able to add players with greater ability. So get over it, understand it, support the team, and stop undermining everything Lambert and co have done in the last 3 years. Grrrrr. Fools. (I''m laid up at home with man flu by the way, so particularly stroppy today) What sort of fans are we?[/quote]

Err, ones that use a fans forum to air their views? I agree that there''s a lot of overreaction (as there is when we get a positive result) and some absolute nonsense, but the fact is we played badly last night and the tactics didn''t work. It doesn''t make us a bad side or Lambert a bad manager, but it''s bound to generate debate. I don''t think anyone has threatened to rip up their season ticket or boo on Saturday but just as we praise the players and Lambert when things go right, we have a right to criticise when things go wrong. So, perhaps YOU need to get over yourself and cut out the holier than thou stuff [;)]

It is not debate to slag off our players? Does that help what we''re trying to acheive? Sure analyse what went wrong, and some are doing this, others just think it''s open season on our players who underperform.

To be perfectly frank, with some of the things i''ve read on here i''m feeling a little holier than some posters at the moment!

I also feel like sh*t, which doesn''t help. There''s some Lagavulin in the drinks cabinet Iwan, i might have a swig!

I''m putting that down to being simply a bad day at the office.  Over the course of a 38 game league season and however many game cup run we are goingto have half a dozen of these.  MK Dons in the league cup and Sunderland last night are the only ones I can name so far this season.  Man City perhaps, but they do have a world class team.  And possibly West Brom in the league a couple of weeks ago, but dont forget we nicked the points there without playing well.

So far on balance this year we have been very good.  One match isnt going to make or break our season.  Plus I have faith in Lambert that we are going to play very differently in the next one.

Another potential factor is that our opponents will no longer be underestimating little old Norwich.  Expect matches to get much harder for us over the coming weeks.  We will be more than fine, with our manager I am confident that we will be able to more than hold our own!!!

More or less spot on OP. Its whining btw, personally I like a bit of wining but by the by.

Hope every one feels they''ve said enough by now because some people are just plain embarrassing - sheesh!

thanks ruddy - i thought that looked wrong when i typed it but my brain isn''t working - i spent 3 minutes staring at the keyboard looking for the apostrophe for O''Neill, and gave up. Found it now!

[quote user="a1canary"]It is not debate to slag off our players? Does that help what we''re trying to acheive? Sure analyse what went wrong, and some are doing this, others just think it''s open season on our players who underperform. To be perfectly frank, with some of the things i''ve read on here i''m feeling a little holier than some posters at the moment! I also feel like sh*t, which doesn''t help. There''s some Lagavulin in the drinks cabinet Iwan, i might have a swig![/quote]

I agree (and stated earlier) that there''s some rubbish being spouted, I''m merely saying that people have a right to debate and express opinions, so I think we actually agree with each . The holier that thou remark was tongue in cheek (hence the wink) but as you''re such a bad tempered bastard at the moment.....[;)]

As much as Norwich were off their game last night, Sunderland were on theirs. Many of their fans are saying it was the best 45 mins they have seen Sunderland play this season, and for many seasons beforehand.

It''s not all about Norwich - granted we didn''t put up much of an opposition, but Sunderland made it almost impossible to play with their relentless closing down and Sessegon and Campbell''s movement was creating huge problems for us.

The most important thing is the team come out with a positive reaction on Saturday - but expectation will be huge again and I imagine if it is 0-0 at half time the boo boys will be in evidence.

[quote user="a1canary"]It is not debate to slag off our players? Does that help what we''re trying to acheive?[/quote]

Is that a joke? I don''t think anything anyone says on this messageboard affects what Lambert, the players, and the board are trying to achieve one little bit, regardless of whether you want to slag off the players, offer balanced criticism about the worst performance of the season, or stick your head in the sand and refuse to even discuss how bad we were.

Hoolahan isn''t going to come on here, start reading a few people slating him, cry himself to sleep, and hand in a transfer request, abscond back to Ireland and do a Tevez. Lambert''s not going to read that he got the tactics wrong last night and decide to not bother any more, and play a 1-2-7, in order to prove a point to a few posters on here about just how badly he could get the tactics wrong if he so wished. And all those rumours that circulate on here about a Holt/Morison training ground clash MUST be true, because neither of them scored last night. So maybe you have a point, perhaps they read the rumours on the pink''un messageboard and then decided they should have a training ground bust up, as what they read affected them so much.

Oh dear. Must be one of the slow ones. I''ve already said there''s nothing wrong with analysing the performance. And i haven''t said players cry themselves to sleep after reading this board.

I said, and i''ll say it for you again so you can catch up:

"Does it help what we''re trying to achieve?"

And incidentally, why do you think players never read this board? Do footballers not use the internet? Would you have a look once in a while if you were a player? I know i would.

Oh look, what''s this:

http://hullcity.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1539

The question remains - does it help us to slag players off?

Always will have plenty of time for Norwich City and their fans after the ''85 Milk Cup Final and the ''92 FA Cup Semi.

Don''t see you having ANY problem with relegation this season.

Lambert is far too good a coach and you have enough good players to finish comfortably mid-table.

Some of the posts on other threads have seen your own version of Cyber-Warriors come out (and god knows WE have plenty) and they have come across as a little over the top about your fortunes for this season.

You have had 2 recent promotions and are going very well in the Premier.....take stock.

We were going nowhere but down under Bruce, but MON has turned Brucies signings into a team (which is more than can be said for Big Fat Steve).

Last night we were really good and you couldn''t cope. You didn''t play well, but the way we played might have had something to do with that.

Norwich will be fine.

Lambert is a great tactician (and he did learn his trade under MON!) and he is doing a great job with the players.

Crawl before you walk....walk before you run.

Things will be fine....and build for next season.

As for us.....we have a gem in Sess. Found a real diamond in McLean......and have bunch of really good players playing as a team.

It makes a nice change!

[quote user="a1canary"]The question remains - does it help us to slag players off?[/quote]

When does criticism become slagging off in your eyes? As a for instance, I thought Bradley Johnson had an absolute stinker last night. Never got to grips with Sessignon dropping deep, gave little protection to his defence and was heavy footed and poderous on the ball. If you wanted an example of how not to operate as a modern holding midfielder to help coach some kids then a video of his sixty minutes or so on the pitch lasty night would be a good starting point.Now there are no positives there so presumably it counts as slagging off and is therefore unhelpful. But it''s my opinion and is in my view a fair assessment of his performance last night.

This part of the forum is titled ''Main Discussion''. So discuss rather than trying to shut any criticism down.

well said. There, are too many knee jerk reactions. We''re not going to be world beaters however we haven''t gone from being a good side to a poor one over night. All teams have their off days, we''ve had ours and we''ll bounce back. We''ve done so well this season, better than most people expected and have had a terrific January, let''s not forget. So come on lets get behind the players and help them recover, instead of making it harder for them.

Good question Shack. Saying our players aren''t fit to play in the premier league for a start. We were all perfectly happy that our squad was a premier league squad until last night. Or at least we should have been as they have all shown at different times, where given a chance, that they can compete.

They have an off day, and i agree, we had an off day - coaching and playing staff alike - and now many of them shouldn''t be playing according to a number of posters.

I agree with comments that it was very strange to go there with that team, no width or pace, not enough balls in the box, inability to get down the side of them etc. I just think it undermines what we have achieved to turn around on the basis of one or two results and start calling for players to be replaced by other players who are out on loan, saying they''re not good enough etc. They have already proved they are good enough, why are they not any more?

Get back to work a1!!! You great big jessie!!!! I never see Grant Holt unavailable for selection through "man flu". Even the much derided Ginger Pele would take a couple of Beechams and get on with it.

FFS man[;)]

Exactly NN, I''ve had the flu, bronchitis and double pneumonia for 4 days now and I''m still working. Bloody malingerers...

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="a1canary"]The question remains - does it help us to slag players off?[/quote]

When does criticism become slagging off in your eyes? As a for instance, I thought Bradley Johnson had an absolute stinker last night. Never got to grips with Sessignon dropping deep, gave little protection to his defence and was heavy footed and poderous on the ball. If you wanted an example of how not to operate as a modern holding midfielder to help coach some kids then a video of his sixty minutes or so on the pitch lasty night would be a good starting point.Now there are no positives there so presumably it counts as slagging off and is therefore unhelpful. But it''s my opinion and is in my view a fair assessment of his performance last night.

This part of the forum is titled ''Main Discussion''. So discuss rather than trying to shut any criticism down.

[/quote]

A very good question Shack and well put.   The preciser boundary between criticism and slagging off is hard to describe but you know it when you see it; a bit like a camel.

What you have said is criticsm and on what I saw and heard is good and fair criticism.   Credit to you but it goes wrong when it descends into the "he''s a uselss disgrace to the shirt who doesn''t care and is to lightweight, stupid and rubbish anyway" type stuff.

It''s no different in principle to racism.  Criticise me for what I do not what I am. 

Much written on here today is embarrassing not just as a City fan but as a sentient being.   The fact that 15 years of education leaves some posters unable to form coherent or rational thought is disappointing.

What we have here is what I wrote about befoere as the Henny-Penny Trend.  One acorn falls on a head and suddenly large numbers are running around screaming that the sky is falling down.   It is a huge overreaction.   It is juvenile and ridiculous.   It is disrespectful to Lambert and the players and all that they have achieved.   +It is sad that some of the best posts have come from other club''s supporters such as WW asking what is the problem?

We played badly.  We didn''t get relegated to the Blue Square.  Nobody died.   It will all sort itself out.

Good Post.

Last night was just one of those things and if you look at this season even the bigger teams have had there bad days, and they have more money. I think what we have achieved this season is great with what little money we have and that credit goes to the players and P L. However come Saturday we need a result and I see no reason why we shouldn''t get one with the team spirit we have.