Sign in to follow this  
pete

NCFC Reserves 0 Arsenal Reserves 5

A strong Arsenal line up.  Would it not have been better to put out a strong team ourselves?   Being hammered is not necessarily a good thing  for youngsters imo.   Good experience, you might think, but would it not have been better for some of our first team squad to get some valuable playing time against some quality players?  Or am I missing the point?   

In all seriousness - Wooton must be disappointed. It''s the first match of his trial, and he let in 5 (probably not his fault though!)

[quote user="judderman"]In all seriousness - Wooton must be disappointed. It''s the first match of his trial, and he let in 5 (probably not his fault though!)
[/quote]

Made an exceptional penalty save after the ref said he bought down Asharvin (he clearly won the ball) and tbh didn''t do too much wrong.

Dawkin and Ball stood out but so did Barker in my opinion, looked a very intelligent player. Despite the result I thought the BOYS did well against an Arsenal reserves which contained 4 international players.

Why was Lappin not even on the bench? That''s what happens when you don''t take the reserve league seriously. [;)]

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Why was Lappin not even on the bench? That''s what happens when you don''t take the reserve league seriously. [;)][/quote]

Bill Shankly used to take it seriously and would be really pissed off if the reserves lost. But that was Shanks he just wanted to win everything be it a cup final or a kick-about didn''t matter to him! His policy was to buy replacements for first team players 2 seasons before they were needed and prepare them in the reserves. Clemence, keegan, Hanson et al all had to earn their spurs there. But he seriously did want to win the reserve league.

Things have changed of course and many reserve sides are what used to be the "Colts" or "Youth" teams. Reserve matches are good for training young players and lessons can be learned - magnaminous in defeat shouldn''t be one of them!   Todays Derby result was Liverpool (Res) 1 Everton (Res) 1. Some familiar names in the side along with Gerrard, Carragher and Clarke in attendance

Had thought about going along to watch Norwich reserves tonight but work prevented me

To be fair essentially all the goals were tap-ins in which Wooten had absolutely no chance. Made a couple of good saves and saved a penalty.

First half Norwich looked woeful, and 2-0 was flattering our poor defence.

Second we changed our game plan to go 4-4-2 and should have scored a couple of goals ourselves.

All in all, good game, and worth the 3 quid. Hope the lads don''t get their heads down, some of them put in a decent shift tonight against some very good opposition.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

A strong Arsenal line up.  Would it not have been better to put out a strong team ourselves?   Being hammered is not necessarily a good thing  for youngsters imo.   Good experience, you might think, but would it not have been better for some of our first team squad to get some valuable playing time against some quality players?  Or am I missing the point?   

[/quote]

I think you make a very good point. These youngsters represent, to a significant extent, the Club''s future. Their ongoing development is very important and I would imagine it does little for the psychological make-up of a player to be part of a team that is receiving regular thrashings. As is often said, winning and losing can both become habits. I would hope that we are looking to develop players with "winning mentalities".

The new prem squad limitation rules have brought this about.

As there is only a squad so big when it comes to the big games you want to make sure everyone is prepared to the full.

The reserves poses a risk to injury which could at very least weaken the bench.

It''s not a bad thing though as it gives the youngsters a go at testing themselves! It also keeps the wage-bill down as we''re not paying a load of players to rot in the reserves!