Sign in to follow this  
Wishbone

Keeping the ball - the need for another centre mid

Although we''re winning at this stage the absence of Hoolahan is really evident. Neither of the two centre midfielders has ability to keep possession. I think we need a player that can do this in the middle (when Fox and Hoolahan aren''t playing)...

Agreed we are missing that cutting edge it''s all very workmanlike but there''s no penetration . Get Wes on and we could get 2 or 3 more goals today .

I think we''re doing ok so far and I''d settle for a scrapy, boring 1-0 with no injuries & no cards but I fancy another goal might be useful.

Have we been watching the same games?I''m sure Wes has lost possession many times this season because he is not strong enough against some opposition. Liverpool away, Villa away to name but 2 games.So far for the bigger part of this season mid-field has been our weak point. Wes is a good player but his style of play is not being a strong, physical player but a skilful, quick player. Which other players have kept possession well?

We need to have at least one of Fox or Hoolahan playing every game.  I didn''t really mind Hoolahan being dropped but if we don''t play Hoolahan and don''t play Fox then we have no creativity what so ever.  I wouldn''t mind Hoolahan playing next week because I think we should go with one up front vs Man City however against Newcastle I''d like us to play 4-4-2 again but this time play Fox instead of Crofts.

Also who would this new centre mid be?  Wasn''t it Gunnarson or Karacan from Reading we were linked with in the summer?

Thought the tactics were gd - Johnson and crofts ( who was excellent today) to battle in the middle with pilkington and surman to add the bit of class to unlock their defence and bring Jackson into the game. Surman showed real signs of promise at this as he used his lack of pace well most of the game playing clever balls and having good ideas in the final 3rd (something we''ve struggled with at times). A run in the team might bring the best of him but can we afford that? Pilkington was out of sorts for whatever reason and Bennett hasn''t really done anything wrong imo and will make selection a problem for next week.

The right time and the right opposition (hindsights a wonderful thing) to try this experiment and signs of more options.

For me we need a good experienced centre half more, but that''s pretty unrealistic unless we shed out loads on one. Surman also, not sure what to make of him. He''s a tidy little player, keeps the ball well but not as creative as Hoolahan. I just don''t get him, I mean he''s a wide player who doesn''t play there, whilst he didn''t play badly I just hate the position he plays in.

Lacked guile and a spark until Hoolahan appeared.

Johnson & Crofts are good at what they do but thats breaking up play and covering ground rather than unlocking a defence or even simply spraying the ball about looking for another avenue of attack.

It wasn''t just in midfield but further ahead, Morison ran the line superbly again and Jackson has pace but again neither have any guile or the ability to unlock a defence.

It was all just a little predictable with Pilkington having an off-day as well.

I do however think Surman looked lively considering he has had little action of late. De Laet was solid at right back also.

There seems to be quite a bit of praise for Surman today but I thought he was rubbish untill we scored our second and he seemed to be a yard quicker and be so much more confident.

Surman? Barnett? what are you all on about? It was route one; Martin got beaten in the air, tierney stuck his head out and knocked a pretty rough header to barnett who did just react well and swing his foot through it. Not sure what else Barnett could have done?!?!

we could have closed down mackie (tierney) or tracked youngs run but thats pretty extreme

Were crying out for a central midfeilder who can put their foot on the ball and help us keep possession and just play a few decent passes. Crofts and Johnson are good box to box midfeilders bit we need someone with a bit of gyle and class on the ball who plays a bit more deeper and central than Wes. Must be some good players in the championship that could do that role. Hopefully Lambert and Culverhouse have got their eye on someone in January. I think we''ve had had less than 50% possession in every game we''ve played this season and if Barton was fit today I think him and Faurlin would of controlled the middle of the plark and we would have seen very little of the ball. We certianly made it hard for ourselves at at 2-1

What we need is that experienced head with great leadership qualities.

If Lambert says we don''t need centre half then central midfield is where we need someone with the ability to organise and close out a game.

Yes without Fox and Hoolahoops we played a different style and coped very well. We actually stretched a back four with a forward helping Morison.

I don''t think a change happened with Hoolahan in the side it was Grant Holt, his energy ability to hold the ball up and threat in the air aided Morison in the final 20 minutes. Hoolahoops provided the cross (finally an assist).

But if we are not going for a central defender in january then a central midfielder who can play it about a little but has that voice is needed.

The question was asked on another thread on who to bring in, still woudl like Snodgrass or Whittingham from Cardiff. But def. we need a leader possibly two to be on the pitch. We have one leader who has been coming off the bench and scoring some crucial goals. We need someone alongside him in that first 11.

I am not so sure whether Lambert really believes we don''t need a central defender.

If he comes out pre-January and says we are desperate for a central defender it does one of two things -

- it may unsettle the current defence

- it would probably put at least £1m on the asking price of any targets in January

If Lambert keeps quiet about it, "yeah, we are not really interested in a central defender but we''ll bid you £2m for Joe Bloggs", while the current group of defenders have the best possible opportunity and conditions to play to the best of their ability.

I really wouldn''t be surprised to see a defender come in in January.