Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

The Holt enima

Grant has adapted to the Premiership like a fish to water and made all the pundits, including many City fans, eat their words.

From what I have seen of him this season he has been excellent as usual. Nothing has changed. His game, his running, his impact today did, I feel change the game.His goals at Chelsea and Liverpool were excellent. Yes, Liverpool and Chelsea.  He is worthy of more than being just an impact player. Bennett should be used as that. Holt should never be out of the starting line-up.

The enigma? Why has such a player spent most of his playing career in the lower leagues. The highest level he reached before coming to us was at Forest where he was a limited success and, believe it or not, manager Calderwood used him as a winger. We got him from Shrewsbury no less for a reported £400K To spend all a career in the lower leagues and adapt to the Premiership so well at nearly thirty is freakish.

Whatever we might think about Gunny as a manager, this signing must surely be one of the best in the history of the Club.

I have just read his career details on Wikipedia. It is very interesting and the question remains, why has this player spent the best part of his career at he likes of Shrewsbury etc.?

Any ideas? 

Followed his career with interest and often wondered why no-one took him on in a higher league. I guess his ''stocky'' build made people think he was too slow for a higher level. But actually his football brain is quick which makes up for any lack in pace. Teddy Sheringham, David Beckham were not reknowned for their pace but reached the top of the game.

Thanks to Gunn for getting him - a legacy that Gunn detractors don''t like to accept.

Now a career that''s blossomed at Norwich - a superstar at every level.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]When I read that I thought you meant Holt Enema.  The picture went through my head of Holt kissing his wrist before doing the procedure.
[/quote]

Oh dear. Trying to start a decent thread when full of Carling is prone to cock-ups like that.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Has to start with morison next week[/quote]

I did say that Bennett should be given  the super-sub role. Fully agree about Morison so the system has to be changed to accommodate Holt. We have Pilkington and two full-backs who attack and provide those two ( Morison and Holt) with plenty of ammunition from crosses. I just feel that Holt is too influential to be sitting on the bench.

Next week''s post from me will be "Ruddy''s hair transplant" Just to remain on the medical field.

I agree that Holt and Morison both deserve to start matches, but that means changing system to 442, or giving the diamond another go. I''d have no idea who to drop to bring in Holt though because nobody really deserves to be replaced at the minute.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Grant has adapted to the Premiership like a fish to water and made all the pundits, including many City fans, eat their words.

From what I have seen of him this season he has been excellent as usual. Nothing has changed. His game, his running, his impact today did, I feel change the game.His goals at Chelsea and Liverpool were excellent. Yes, Liverpool and Chelsea.  He is worthy of more than being just an impact player. Bennett should be used as that. Holt should never be out of the starting line-up.

The enigma? Why has such a player spent most of his playing career in the lower leagues. The highest level he reached before coming to us was at Forest where he was a limited success and, believe it or not, manager Calderwood used him as a winger. We got him from Shrewsbury no less for a reported £400K To spend all a career in the lower leagues and adapt to the Premiership so well at nearly thirty is freakish.

Whatever we might think about Gunny as a manager, this signing must surely be one of the best in the history of the Club.

I have just read his career details on Wikipedia. It is very interesting and the question remains, why has this player spent the best part of his career at he likes of Shrewsbury etc.?

Any ideas? 

[/quote]Have you seen the really interesting article about his season in Singapore?http://lesrosbifs.net/2011/06/grant-holt-norwich-city-striker-and-his-summer-in-singapore/

[quote user="lake district canary"]Followed his career with interest and often wondered why no-one took him on in a higher league. I guess his ''stocky'' build made people think he was too slow for a higher level. But actually his football brain is quick which makes up for any lack in pace. Teddy Sheringham, David Beckham were not reknowned for their pace but reached the top of the game. Thanks to Gunn for getting him - a legacy that Gunn detractors don''t like to accept. Now a career that''s blossomed at Norwich - a superstar at every level.[/quote]

Most ''detractors'' do accept that Gunn got this right.But that was it in his short managerial career.

Good find Mister Chops.Really interesting article[Y]

That was interesting Mr. Chops and goes a long way towards answering my original question.

The reference to Geylang United was amusing. Some will know what I am talking about.

I''m sure theirs many lower League players that could step but find it hard in these modern times of top flight and even some Championship clubs being obsessed with over rated foriegners!

Messrs Helveg and Mathies Jonsson from our poor 2004/05 season are prime examples of international players who couldn''t hack it and we''d of been better of signing decent a couple of top Championship/League 1 players!

Yes Gunn deserves credit for signing Holt but that summer Holt had 2 options - join Norwich with their 24,000 crowds and top flight potential or join ColU with their sub 4000 crowds and limited lower League potential.  What I''m saying is the lure of Bryan Gunn and his managerial qualities wasn''t the major factor in Holt joining us!

Many Norwich fans have been saying that Holts on his way out of the club after being dropped but hes proved in the last 2 games that hes got much to offer us this season and he will be a major factor in us hopefully staying up this season!

Next Saturday I''d be inclined to drop the slightly gone of the boil Bennett for Holt and Fox who was of the pace yesterday for Crofts!

Certainly a good dilema to have (Jackson was also excellent when he came on yesterday too - and when Vaughn is fit more options...).

Not sure what Lambert will do for Villa - at the end of the day there will always be games where we dont play as well etc and we cant expect to have exceptional performances every game. Norwich notoriously seem to give a less sharp performance against the bottom clubs for some reason which is something that should be addressed (or maybe its just coincidence).

All it shows to me is how over-hyped the Prem is and that if clubs were to look closely enough there are many hidden gems in the lower leagues. The influx of overpaid foreign imported players has clearly served to suppress lower-league talent from rising to the highest echelon. No doubt Lambert will unveil more hidden treasure in January... [:P]