Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Eradicate expectancy quick!

A lot of fans expected a victory today and I feel this rubbed off a little on the players. We must not let the players or ourselves get carried away and lose the underdog tag. We are underdogs for every game this season and thats the way it should be for a team thats just come up and spent very little. Todays result was fantastic, and if that had been the first game of the season this message board would have been full of positive comments from very proud supporters. Just relax and enjoy the season as underdogs, dont get carried away and allow yourselves to develop delusional expectancy as this will certainly effect our results in a negative way.

All I wanted this season was to be competitive and give sides a run for their money, and we are certainly doing that!

Aagh!

Yes, a great result - but why do we have to see ourselves as underdogs?

Why?

There are 20 teams all competing. Each game starts 0-0. Each game is a battle - either team can win.

We are in the league the same as other teams.

No need to see ourselves as underdogs.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]*expectency[/quote]

Expectancy - right the first time. Yours pedantically. X

How on earth can you think we are underdogs in every game?

We should have won today, we have won games, Blackburn haven''t been winning and were/our bottom of the table. There is no way you should have gone into the game today thinking we were underdogs.

The players, should not be going in expecting to win easily. And if they did that is the fault of Lambert for letting them get ahead of themselves, and i very much doubt he did. I just think we were slightly bellow average and Blackburn played well..

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How on earth can you think we are underdogs in every game? We should have won today, we have won games, Blackburn haven''t been winning and were/our bottom of the table. There is no way you should have gone into the game today thinking we were underdogs. The players, should not be going in expecting to win easily. And if they did that is the fault of Lambert for letting them get ahead of themselves, and i very much doubt he did. I just think we were slightly bellow average and Blackburn played well..[/quote]

OMG do I need to answer this? Take a look at our squad and compare it to blackburns! We are underdogs and the only reason were not bottom of the league is because Lambert has the players over acheiving! and I don''t mean that to sound bad but not one of our players is proven in this league so how can we be expectant?

For goodness sake.

It doesn''t matter what the squads look like. If you just looked at squads and what players have done in the past, there is no point in playing games....

WE WERE NOT UNDERDOGS TODAY.

The only importance in personal, is that ours have been playing well/winning and Blackburn''s haven''t to the same extent. Away at Liverpool, yes were under dogs, but home to bottom of the league Blackburn we are clear favourites.

Man.C have loads more quality than any other team in the league, yet they won''t walk away with it. Man.U and maybe Chelsea will be right up there all season. ITs not as simple as what players you have, in fact you said it yourself, Lambert has the players ''over achiveing'' (again wrong, but still) we are achiveing, you simply cannot just look at squads and call us underdogs.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]For goodness sake. It doesn''t matter what the squads look like. If you just looked at squads and what players have done in the past, there is no point in playing games.... WE WERE NOT UNDERDOGS TODAY. The only importance in personal, is that ours have been playing well/winning and Blackburn''s haven''t to the same extent. Away at Liverpool, yes were under dogs, but home to bottom of the league Blackburn we are clear favourites. Man.C have loads more quality than any other team in the league, yet they won''t walk away with it. Man.U and maybe Chelsea will be right up there all season. ITs not as simple as what players you have, in fact you said it yourself, Lambert has the players ''over achiveing'' (again wrong, but still) we are achiveing, you simply cannot just look at squads and call us underdogs.[/quote]

Clear favourites!? are you mad? You should be showing teams like blackburn some respect. This season we will never be clear favorites. Your going to be very dissapointed this season with that attitude.

it happened a couple of times last year with portsmouth and hull at home, and it will happen a few times next year and the year after.. when we are on a good run people expect a win against a lower team and both players and fans get complacent its nothing new [:D]

So I should never expect Norwich to win?

Ok were crap, are getting lucky results and will easily go down....

Its not about respecting Blackburn, its a game we should be aiming ti win, if were not we shouldnt be in this league. Before the season started, and even this morning I wouldn''t have expected an easy win, but after mins games I expected us to best bottom is the league.Blackburn at home.

Sorry if im being to optimistic...

I don''t think complacency comes in to it.

Nerves are the more likely issue.

The crowd is apt to be a bit nervous. So many posts this week about "ooh its a 6 pointer" "must win".

If a crowd is nervous it transmits to the players. Thats why I keep harping on about being positive.

You''re far more likely to help the team if you''re positive and not thinking about the "relegation issue" all the time.

Sure its an important game, but so are they all.

"and the only reason were not bottom of the league is because "

we have won more points than the bottom team

funny old way the league is run, what with the winning team getting more points than the losing team and each game starting with both teams on no goals

surely it would be better ran as lincoln would have it whereby teams who have just beeen promoted were handicapped by some method

hopefully that method wouldn''t include the intellect of some of the fans - as that would mean we would most probably have been relegated by 3.04pm on 13th August 2011

A TV reporter had the temerity to ask George Foreman (Mark 1) before the Sunshine Showdown in 1973 against reigning, undisputed and then undefeated World Heavyweight Champion the fearsome Joe Frazier "How does it feel to be the underdog?.

Drawled the scowling Foreman who had taken the title from the legendary Muhammed Ali:

''Dawwwg...........dawwwg...............??  I ain''t no dawwwwwwwwwwg man.......".

The rest is history. Foreman went on to deck the previously ''indestructible'' Smokin'' Joe Frazier six times in five rounds to take the title.

Paul Lambert''s Norwich City are certainly don''t consider themselves as underdogs either. And long may that remain so.

One love.

OTBC

Congratulations on use of the big words Lincoln - however to really prove to people you''re not an idiot, it''s better to have a coherent and reasoned point rather than this absolute load of tosh. You''re argument has more holes in it than a round of Gouda!

I partly agree with Lincoln Canary... I wouldnt use the words underdogs but we are a newly promoted side and I think this game was seen as an easy 3 points against a team who are fighting desperately for a win to get out of the drop zone.

IMO any game is a must win game. Yes we want to beat the likes of Swansea/QPR etc etc BUT to get a point against Liverpool and im sure there will be some more suprises like that to come also play a huge part in our premier survival battle!

Just for the sake of balance I thought Blackburn were the best side I have seen at Carrow Rd. this season so a draw was a great achievement.

Still enjoying the ride wherever it takes us.

"this game was seen as an easy 3 points against a team who are fighting desperately for a win to get out of the drop zone"

I doubt that very much

There was, however, a number who this game was a ''must win'' because we will inevitability be in that drop zone - irrespective of how well we have played so far.

A lot of the not too bright had built this game up on that basis.

Our current performance must be a huge disappointment to many of these simpletons