Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Do we want David Bentley back?

In terms of footballing ability, Bentley is still a very talented lad and I think he would be a great signing. I would expect Lambert to be able to get the best out of him.

All those saying that they don''t want players like Bentley and Defoe because of their ''big time Charlie'' attitudes and would prefer we played Cody McDonald and Korey Smith are living in la la land!

[quote user="Clint"]In terms of footballing ability, Bentley is still a very talented lad and I think he would be a great signing. I would expect Lambert to be able to get the best out of him. All those saying that they don''t want players like Bentley and Defoe because of their ''big time Charlie'' attitudes and would prefer we played Cody McDonald and Korey Smith are living in la la land![/quote]

Yes, of course every supporter should welcome ''big time Charlies''. It''s the key to our future success isn''t it....... LOL

[quote user="Clint"]No Mr Moy, having better footballers is.[/quote]

I agree, but who are the better footballers is open to debate, and it''s clear that Paul Lambert thinks that the better footballers for Norwich are not the ''big time Charlies''.

he may be not the player he was when we had him first time, but he''s only young,, but I think Lambert of all people can put that/him straight...and I seem to remember (Fulham away obviously not one of them) him having an amazing impact on quite a few games. Plus, a few NCFC fans (a few on here and myself included) thought that him getting crocked by Messrs Noble against wet sham in the cup was a major player in the inevitable downfall.

If Lambert thinks Bentley has the character and influence and teamwork to help us succeed, fine, I''ll get behind whomever he signs.  From what I know of Bentley, it sounds like a personality transplant would be required to achieve those goals, but Lambert has everyone else playing at their peak so maybe...

I think having good footballers with the RIGHT ATTITUDE is the key. If you bring in players that think they are better than the rest and too talented to work hard it will destroy much of what our current success has been founded upon.

I have not met Bentley, but by repute he falls into the category of the wrong attitude. Certainly there was the training ground incident which is well documented and many fans that went to Fulham were upset by his attitude there. I can''t see it but who knows?

[quote user=" Badger"]I think having good footballers with the RIGHT ATTITUDE is the key. If you bring in players that think they are better than the rest and too talented to work hard it will destroy much of what our current success has been founded upon. I have not met Bentley, but by repute he falls into the category of the wrong attitude. Certainly there was the training ground incident which is well documented and many fans that went to Fulham were upset by his attitude there. I can''t see it but who knows?[/quote]

A lot is being made of the training ground incident, but to me, hoofing a ball away is not as bad as shooting someone, like Ashley Cole did.  Worthy clearly took a much bigger offence to the incident and it was blown completely out of proportion.  Do you reckon under the Lambert regime, no player has ever played a practical joke?  I''ll bet someone like Wes is always trying silly things in training.  Remember THAT penalty?  With the squad togetherness we have i''m sure there must be various initiation parties as such when we sign someone new, just to make them feel welcome, be it dumping them in an ice bucket or hiding stuff etc, just part of football...

Yes, IMO he''s the best crosser of a football in the PL. He''s clearly had some problems but look at Joey Barton this season for Newcastle, he''s been pure class and behaved impeccably.

Some players just need the right management and I think Lambert could do wonders for Bentley and Bentley in turn be a big player for us.

I see that Ashley Cole has entered the debate. I wouldn''t want that ''big time Charlie'' here either !! 

[quote user="paul moy"]I see that Ashley Cole has entered the debate. I wouldn''t want that ''big time Charlie'' here either !! [/quote]I''d definitely have Ashley Cole here but only on loan.  I think he could learn from Mark Tierney and that would benefit England.

Good player and totally agree it is all about the manager getting the best from a player. Did McLeish probably not, but look at the Birmingham team. Not particularly inspiring.

I believe however that Bentley, and possibly Defoe, are hungry to prove themselves. That is what we want, I do not however think we need hungry former big time players. We need hungry championship top stars, european players and then consistent premiership targets. However it would not surprise me to get a player like the two mentioned in this post.

But still be very happy if Pacheco comes this way.