Sign in to follow this  
Paulo_M

Vaughan vs CMS

There seems to be a lot of people who are disappointed at us signing Vaughan, but seemingly would be ecstatic if we''d signed Craig Mackail-Smith instead. I don''t get it! I assume people are making these opinions based on goal scoring records this season and nothing else... when you consider the following it may change your opinion:Some things to consider about Vaughan:
  • 22 years old
  • Scored 9 in 30 for a rubbish Champs team
  • Probably cost £1.5m + add-ons
  • was (is?) the premierships youngest goalscorer
  • Been on Evertons books since he was a kid and should have signed for Celtic last season (some paper work issue stopped it)... so is quite highly rated!
Some things to consider about CMS:
  • 27 years old.
  • When he was 22, he scored 11 goals in 38 games... in the conference
  • Scored 10 goals in 43 games when last in the Champs
  • Probably would cost £3m+
  • Never played higher than the Championship and only scored 1 in 4 then.
  • Only really now being looked at by bigger clubs... would we have wanted a 22 year old CMS when he was at Dagenham & Redbridge ? I think not!
At this moment CMS *might* be a better player since he''s been around for longer and is having a great season in league 1. However, if you just look at the above then surely you''d take Vaughn every time?... he''s cheaper, already has a better goal scoring rate in the Championship, already scored in the Premiership, is much younger (so loads more potential) and seems to be rated very highly by some big clubs.

I think Vaughan is worth taking a gamble on, hopefully his injuries are behind him and he''s still young enough to come through on his early promise.

CMS looks every bit the Lambert style player, didn''t think he had a great game yesterday but ran his socks off all game and got a goal in the end. Looks like that exciting mix of ability and desire that we seem to have a knack of finding at the moment. But I think it might be a season too late for us to sign him. If we''d got him last summer or at least in January he''d have had time to adjust to our style of play (which is very different from Peterborough''s on last nights showing) A step up to the Premier may to one too far for him right now.

For me Borini is the guy we need to get in, a bit like Chris Martin in style but better.

completely agree, I don''t undertsand it either, I have nothing against CMS but I don''t understand the people who would rather have CMS at a bigger fee than young Vaughan

im happy with vaughan, i know they are different types of striker but give me cms over morrison anyday of the week, who,s compared vaughan to cms i haven''t seen any post

I''m impressed with those stats on Vaughan, moreso than any on CMS because they are goals scored at a higher level and by a much younger player in a poor team. It looks a very good buy at that price for his quality as long as he is not injury-prone.

Both are a gamble. Vaughan, because of his fitness record and relative youth and CMS because of the standard he has played at for most of his carreer. At 22, Vaughan has time on his side to produce his obvious promise. At 27, CMS is probably approaching his peak and should have 3 or 4 good years to come. Personally, I can see pluses and minuses on each side but I wouldn''t mind having both of them in the squad. We need to remember that niether Holt nor Jackson have any Premier experience so they are just as much an unknown factor as Vaughan and CMS. I very much doubt that Cody and Oli will be with us come August and depending how PL thinks about Chris Martin we may well not have him either. In that case there is certainly room for another couple of strikers to come in.

Interesting piece here.......

"Club Focus – Everton – Vaughan sale a sad end to an unfulfilled Toffees career

The departure of James Vaughan to Norwich City brings to an end the striker’s frustrating Everton career, a tale of a player with a lot of talent and even more desire brought down by his body’s frailty and sheer bad luck.

Vaughan made his Everton debut against Crystal Palace in April 2005, scoring the fourth goal in a 4-1 victory, to become not only Everton’s youngest goal scorer but the youngest player to wear the Everton shirt, the former record previously belonging to Wayne Rooney. Only two further appearances in that season and the one that followed came Vaughan’s way, however, as the Birmingham-born forward, only 16 when he netted against Palace, suffered a knee ligament injury early in the 2005/06 season when on duty with the England U-18s. It was the first injury setback of Vaughan’s senior career, but not the last, nor, perhaps, the most serious.

After returning from the knee injury and re-establishing his place in the side, Vaughan severed an artery in his foot during a match with Bolton Wanderers. Despite the sickening injury - and the blood seeping through his boot - Vaughan returned to action before the end of the season, grabbing a couple of goals and showing no ill effects, going on to be crowned the club’s Young Player of the Season for 2006/07. A dislocated shoulder in pre-season derailed Vaughan’s progress again but worse was to follow - an 18 month absence through a catalogue of injuries. By the time Vaughan returned Everton were into the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United, and, after coming off the substitutes’ bench, Vaughan showed nerves of steel to net a penalty as the Toffees were victorious in the shootout.

The 18 months spent recuperating, however, hampered the striker’s potential. A series of loan spells came in 2009/10, first to Derby County, then on to Leicester City, with Vaughan’s last goal for Everton coming in January 2010, an FA Cup winner against Carlisle United. Spending most of last season on loan at Crystal Palace, Vaughan made his final Everton appearance as a substitute in the Merseyside derby after his initial loan spell at Selhurst Park came to an end. 13 days later Vaughan was back in the capital, scoring nine times last season and helping Palace avoid relegation.

Vaughan’s endeavour was always appreciated at Goodison Park, even if it was occasionally the cause of his injuries – such as the challenge that severed an artery in his foot at the Reebok Stadium – and confirmed the theory Vaughan does not suffer minor knocks. Indeed, when he gets hurt, it is usually something serious. Vaughan threw himself into a challenge most others would have baulked at and paid the price, but strengthened his bond with the supporters. His time away from Everton did little to diminish that enterprise, picking up as many bookings as goals in the Championship last season, and the sentiment when his departure was universal. Vaughan was wished a warm goodbye and the best for the future, a testament to the depth of feeling towards a well-liked player, but also the regret that his Everton career tailed off after such a promising start."

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_7817_club-focus-%C3%83%C6%92%C3%82%C2%A2%C3%83%E2%80%9A%C3%82%E2%82%AC%C3%83%E2%80%9A%C3%82%E2%80%9C-everton-%C3%83%C6%92%C3%82%C2%A2%C3%83%E2%80%9A%C3%82%E2%82%AC%C3%83%E2%80%9A%C3%82%E2%80%9C-vaughan-sale-a-sad-end-to-an-unfulfilled-toffees-career.html

It sounds like he is an extremely brave player, something that we are missing, but due to this welcome attribute it will be surprising if he can get through a whole season without a major injury.  

[quote user="paul moy"]It sounds like he is an extremely brave player, something that we are missing, but due to this welcome attribute it will be surprising if he can get through a whole season without a major injury.  [/quote]

Explain please.