Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

25 man Premiership squad....how many vacancies??

correct me if I''m wrong, but within this 25 there must contain at least 8 home grown players (which we should comfortably do) + under 21 players dont count toward this 25.

definates...

1.Ruddy - (home grown)

2.R.Martin -(h/g)

3.Drury - (h/g)

4.Whitbread - (h/g)

5.Crofts - (h/g)

6.Holt -(h/g)

7.Jackson

8.Surman -(h/g)

9.Hoolahan

10.Fox -(h/g)

11.C.Martin -(h/g)

12.Lappin

13.Barnett -(h/g)

14.Ward -(h/g)

15.McNamee ?? -(h/g)

16.Tierney - (h/g)

17.Vaughan - (h/g)

+ U21 players

Rudd

Adeyemi

K.Smith

Daley

Francomb

Dawkin

Steer

Ball

Harbagham

I''m assuming that the following players will leave,

Gill,Hughes?,Wilbraham?,Johnson,S.Smith,McDonald,Tudur-Jones,Askou.

So, Unless any of the above list are retained, I make that room for another 8 signings !!?!

one of the reasons for my compiling this list is that i read in another thread a suggestion that we wouldn''t sign BOTH Morison and Mackail-Smith as there wouldn''t be enough room in a 25 -man squad....I think this list possibly proves that there is?....especially if we were able to sign Lansbury on loan, who would still presumably count as an under 21 player?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]one of the reasons for my compiling this list is that i read in another thread a suggestion that we wouldn''t sign BOTH Morison and Mackail-Smith as there wouldn''t be enough room in a 25 -man squad....I think this list possibly proves that there is?....especially if we were able to sign Lansbury on loan, who would still presumably count as an under 21 player?[/quote]As I have said in this thread and a couple of others, there will be plenty of space. For example, last season, Chelsea only named 19 and Arsenal only submitted 20 players.

Jackson is homegrown. I presume anyone from the UK counts so Lappin and Hoolahan would count as well would they not?

I am not sure we will loose all of those.

Gill and Askou are out of contract and will go as will S.Smith who wants to.

Johnson will go I think, he needs to get games.

I could see us keeping Hughes, Wilbraham and McDonald though. Wilbraham can''t be on that much money and will provide good cover if nothing else. He has no real market value I don''t think so it wont be too bad to see him leave for nothing come next summer.

I guess a lot comes down to if we get offers.

[quote user="chicken"]Jackson is homegrown. I presume anyone from the UK counts so Lappin and Hoolahan would count as well would they not?

I could see us keeping Hughes, Wilbraham and McDonald though. Wilbraham can''t be on that much money and will provide good cover if nothing else. He has no real market value I don''t think so it wont be too bad to see him leave for nothing come next summer.

I guess a lot comes down to if we get offers.[/quote]UEFA rules state it is ''national association'', so for those purposes England and Scotland are separate, as they have their own national team, domestic league etc.

[quote user="chicken"]Jackson is homegrown. I presume anyone from the UK counts so Lappin and Hoolahan would count as well would they not?

I guess a lot comes down to if we get offers.[/quote]''To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at

least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16

and 21.''.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]one of the reasons for my compiling this list is that i read in another thread a suggestion that we wouldn''t sign BOTH Morison and Mackail-Smith as there wouldn''t be enough room in a 25 -man squad....[/quote]

You already have four strikers in the Squad (Holt, Martin, Jackson and Vaughan) and you seem to have overlooked the fact that Daley will not qualify as an under-21 player. If we sign Morison that will be five strikers in the 25, leaving 20 places for the rest obviously. Given that we need ''a little help'' all over the pitch (we have no experienced cover in goal or at RB) do you really think we have room for CMS? It would be logical to go with the five, with Wes as a back-up or maybe get Pacheco (under 21) or someone similar as a permanent or on loan.

[quote user="chicken"]I could see us keeping Hughes, Wilbraham and McDonald though. [/quote]

Really? And where exactly will we be playing them?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="GJL MidNorfolk Canary"]one of the reasons for my compiling this list is that i read in another thread a suggestion that we wouldn''t sign BOTH Morison and Mackail-Smith as there wouldn''t be enough room in a 25 -man squad....[/quote]

You already have four strikers in the Squad (Holt, Martin, Jackson and Vaughan) and you seem to have overlooked the fact that Daley will not qualify as an under-21 player. If we sign Morison that will be five strikers in the 25, leaving 20 places for the rest obviously.

[/quote]That''s if we keep Chris Martin. After all of the rumours resurfacing around his attitude and that he was fit about 5 or 6 games from the end of the season but wasn''t allowed to train, it wouldn''t surprise me if he''s one of the ones Lambert is looking to offload in one respect or another.

[quote user="chicken"]I could see us keeping Hughes, Wilbraham and McDonald though. [/quote]

[/quote]In my opinion there would be no benefit in keeping Hughes. I do actually think Wilbraham will stay because I heard rumours that he was signed with a view to doing a job in the prem when City talked to him about signing, and McDonald deserves first team football after the successful season he''s had and he won''t get that with us.I don''t think we should keep either of the three but I think we will with Wilbraham.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

In my opinion there would be no benefit in keeping Hughes. I do actually think Wilbraham will stay because I heard rumours that he was signed with a view to doing a job in the prem when City talked to him about signing, and McDonald deserves first team football after the successful season he''s had and he won''t get that with us.

I don''t think we should keep either of the three but I think we will with Wilbraham.
[/quote]

I can''t see us going with more than 5 ''grown up'' strikers in the 25. Given that Holt, Jackson and Vaughan are certainties that leaves two spaces at the most, if we get Morison then that is Holt''s backup. The one remaining space will then go to either someone on the books already - Wilbraham, Martin or Daley or someone we bring in (CMS would be an option here). I can also see Cody going on a half-season loan to a lower division club (preferably Championship) so that we can make a decision by Jan 2012 on him.

I would be surprised if we only have 5 strikers.

Holt, Jackson and Vaughan are certs, we sort of know that. If we get Morison then we will have four.

But the thing is Martin just signed a new deal and why would you want to get rid of players you don''t have to get rid of? Last time I checked Martin was 22 so still has plenty of time.

We cannot afford to do what Blackpool have done and end up with several players jumping ship as they go down, in some ways you are best off hanging on to a couple of players until January or later when you have a better idea of the league position.

That way worse case scenario is we go down but with a large enough squad to cope with some leaving - rather than having to start again from scratch.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="TIL 1010"]So McNamee is a definate is he? Behave please.[/quote]I''m guessing not, as McNamee is the only one with question marks next to his name.[/quote]Ha. I quite enjoy people trying to be clever and looking silly. [:)]

[quote user="chicken"]I would be surprised if we only have 5 strikers.[/quote]

Arsenal named 3 strikers in their squad last season.

Aston Villa named 3 strikers in their squad last season....

...Wolves named 4 strikers in their squad last season.

[/quote]Arsenal only named 20 players in total though... therefore had enough space to name another five.Anyway, I refer you to my previous posts on the matter. It isn''t something we should be overly concerned about, unless Lambert decides to start stockpiling players for the sake of it- which he is not going to do.

[/quote]...... and none of them finished where they really wanted to.  So undermines the less is more hypothesis.  If we are going for it five would be right but managing their aspirations would be a tough job.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

...... and none of them finished where they really wanted to.  So undermines the less is more hypothesis.  If we are going for it five would be right but managing their aspirations would be a tough job.
[/quote]

I have said all along that we will have 5 strikers in the 25 ''grown ups''. The only thing about this Squad thing is that if they are not in it we are paying their wages (at least until January) with no chance of them contributing to the cause whatsoever. The best thing would be for us to loan out all the ''fringe'' players until January with the other club picking up their wages.

Yes, lets compare us to Arsenal, Aston Villa etc etc.

Can you name the players? The thing with Arsenal is that you have Walcott and Arshavin who can both play as forwards - and infact is their preferred position. So you could argue they had five. Not to mention Vela who is under 21.

Villa have more than three as well. Carew, Heskey, Abonlahor, Young and Darren Bent.

Wolves have Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Keogh, Fletcher and Vokes.

What you have to consider is that you only have to name players 21+ in that squad and either by chance or by being able to buy bright young prospects they have all got more than the strikers you have said.

Arsenal play with an attacking, direct style so often play with recognised strikers in a wing/attack role. Especially when RVP is the lone striker.

The fact of the matter is a premiership campaign is incredibly wearing. Refs are more harsh with cards. We will need at least 5 strikers to see us through. An injury to one like Holt could cost us a lot more in the prem.

It also makes sense when you consider how Lambert puts his bench together. You need 18 players for a game these days. 11 on the pitch and the bench. Most of the time he appears to like having two attacking options on the bench in terms of strikers.

I don''t think Daley or Johnson will stay. And as I have said I would not be surprised to see 6 remain even if one is loaned out.

definates...

1.Ruddy

2.R.Martin

3.Drury

4.Whitbread

5.Crofts

6.Holt

7.Jackson

8.Surman

9.Hoolahan

10.Fox

11.C.Martin

12.Lappin

13.Barnett

14.Ward

15.Tierney

16.B.Johnson

17.De Laet

18.Vaughan

19.Morison

20.Bennett

21.Pilkington ?

+ U21 players

Rudd

Adeyemi

K.Smith

Daley

Francomb

Dawkin

Steer

Ball

others,

Hughes

Wilbraham

O.Johnson

McNamee

S.Smith

McDonald

Tudur-Jones

[quote user="chicken"]Yes, lets compare us to Arsenal, Aston Villa etc etc.

They are in the Premiership and play by the same rules as us so why not?

Can you name the players?

Not off the top of my head, one month after researching it.

The thing with Arsenal is that you have Walcott and Arshavin who can both play as forwards...

You could say the same about Hoolahan and Pilkington (if he has signed.)

Not to mention Vela who is under 21. Villa have more than three as well. Carew, Heskey, Abonlahor, Young and Darren Bent. Wolves have Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Keogh, Fletcher and Vokes...

But not at the start of last season when they named the squad.

...We will need at least 5 strikers to see us through.

I have said all along that PL would name 5 ''grown-up'' strikers in the Squad; my guess - Holt, Morison, Vaughan, Jackson and Martin.

An injury to one like Holt could cost us a lot more in the prem. It also makes sense when you consider how Lambert puts his bench together. You need 18 players for a game these days. 11 on the pitch and the bench. Most of the time he appears to like having two attacking options on the bench in terms of strikers.

Agreed.

I don''t think Daley or Johnson will stay.

Nor do I; sell, let go or loan, I don''t really see them getting anywhere near the first team.

And as I have said I would not be surprised to see 6 remain even if one is loaned out.

My point, and I don''t know whether you realise it or not, is that once the squad is named then that is it until January when it can be completely changed. Until January no changes are allowed, so any player on our books who is not in the Squad is a wasted asset (except the under-21s) so it makes sense to loan them out or sell them. [/quote]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]+ U21 players Rudd Adeyemi K.Smith Daley Francomb Dawkin Steer Ball [/quote]

Daley is not under 21 so you should stick him in ''others''.

Daley was born two months too early to be in the Under 21 bracket, which is presumably why he''s on trial at Plymouth.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Daley was born two months too early to be in the Under 21 bracket, which is presumably why he''s on trial at Plymouth.
[/quote]

Indeed.

''Presser'' today Pete?

Am I right to assume that although we can only acquire new players duirng the two transfer windows we can at any time recall players we have loaned out? Having read the relevant section in the PL rule book I couldn''t immediately find the answer, but perhaps it was hidden away in the verbiage. I certainly seem to remember that Ferguson pere[:@] recalled players from Preston when Ferguson fils got the boot.