Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

What can we learn from our signings last time in the prem ?

"in all seriousness would anyone be upset if our starting x1 was any different come August?"

Are we not getting a little carried away here, we kept how many clean sheets in our amazing run of 3 defeats in 30, I believe the answer is 3. We need to strengthen our CBs as a v urgent priority, especially as we have 3 in the whole squad.

We have only 2 strikers who we could confidently put out now and be certain of a decent performance and that''s now let alone Prem league

Our lessons from last time is get the team sorted out in July with some good signings and integrate them into team by early Aug friendlies. Spend some good money in the Summer to strengthen the team immediately without breaking the bank.

Don''t waste money on squad players when you have them already, Worthington''s last signing in 2004 summer was one Darren Ward for 300K, who played how many games for us??

Don''t get players without proper recent scouting, Jonson was probably signed on back of one goal in Euro 2004 and Helveg on past reputation. Bentley on one wonder goal for Arsenel.

Don''t buy players over 32 years old, unless they have been absolute superstars, could we for example get Pirlo at 32 on a free? Charlton, Helveg and Stuart all on the way out when bought.

if there is a good player going for a little over what is considered the odds buy him anyway, P Crouch scored 18 i think that season after being signed by Southampton for just over 2M. We could and should have had him.

fully agree. who are the current hungry Dean Ashtons at the moment ? highly rated & yet to be bought by prem clubs .... ?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

You are right - NW failed us. He broke up a TEAM and assembled a group of indiviuals with no clear leader. His grasp on reality disappeared when he effectively told Iwan Roberts he wasn''t "good enough for the Premiership".

RC may well have ripped the heart out of the club, but NW ripped the soul out of it!

[/quote]

If RC ripped out the heart and NW ripped out the soul[:|] then whatever did ND, PG and GR get up to?

[/quote]Maybe they ripped the testicles out of the club Nutty??? [:|][/quote]

Obviously wasn''t worth a mention then[:|]

What returned first[:^)]

And have we got a soul again yet[:^)]

[/quote]I think that THE BALLS returned first Nutty, how about you???I am not sure who you could say returned them to the club though?  Maybe Delia found Michael''s testicles after many years and in doing so encouraged him to splash some cash in bringing two more individuals with lots of balls to the club in McNally and Lambert?What do you reckon Nutty?KEEP DOING THEM TESTICLE TESTS Delia, you know how much you enjoy them!!! [:D]

[quote user="jamesg"]

Don''t get players without proper recent scouting, Jonson was probably signed on back of one goal in Euro 2004 and Helveg on past reputation. Bentley on one wonder goal for Arsenel.

[/quote]

---

Jonson was more probably signed on the back of what eventually amounted to 57 appearances (including the 2002 World Cup and the 2004 European Championships) and nine goals for what was then one of the better European national teams. And if Worthington had ever realised Jonson wasn''t a workhorse right-sided midfielder he might actually have done quite well for us.

Fortunately there aren''t any World cup/european championships this summer by which to make knee-jerk "tournament" signings like the disastrous Mathias Jonson !!.

One name the OP missed out in the list of summer signings that years was that of Youssef Safri, whom we signed from a fellow championship side, and thatis the market place in which I believe we will operate.

Hungry players from the Championship who didnt get promoted with their clubs who would kill to play in the Premier league(rather like bringing L1 players upto the Championship with us last season i.e Crofts,Jackson,Fox,Tierney).

Obviously we will need to wait ''til after the playoffs , but the likes of Danny Graham, Scott Sinclair,Shane Long should surely feature on any list??....I wonder too whether we''ll go back for Elliott Bennet and Mikail-Smith ??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Fortunately there aren''t any World cup/european championships this summer by which to make knee-jerk "tournament" signings like the disastrous Mathias Jonson !!.

One name the OP missed out in the list of summer signings that years was that of Youssef Safri, whom we signed from a fellow championship side, and thatis the market place in which I believe we will operate.

Hungry players from the Championship who didnt get promoted with their clubs who would kill to play in the Premier league(rather like bringing L1 players upto the Championship with us last season i.e Crofts,Jackson,Fox,Tierney).

Obviously we will need to wait ''til after the playoffs , but the likes of Danny Graham, Scott Sinclair,Shane Long should surely feature on any list??....I wonder too whether we''ll go back for Elliott Bennet and Mikail-Smith ??[/quote]

Personally I''d like to see Graham of Watford and McGugan of Forest. They both look capable of playing at a higher level. I think its going to be a game of cat and mouse throughout the summer because whoever we go for will be overpriced. A lot will depend on how close some of them are to the end of their contracts.CMS would be a big gamble because a 2 division jump might be too much to expect. I reckon PL will surprise us with some names nobody has thought of but by know would should have learned to trust his judgement. Thankfully he has made it plain that he has no time for big time Charlies looking for a final pay day and that can only be a good thing.