Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

Great comeback but.......

Unfortunaely we put ourselves in the position where we were 4-1 down and yes we done superbly in a one off game to come back to 4-4 however with Palace and Southampton winning (and West Brom as I type) we find ourselves in a worst position than we were this morning.  Not taking away anything from the lads today but at the end of the day we still only ended up with a home point which again is not good enough in order to stay up.  My biggest fear is that the last ten minutes will cloud the fact that we were in a position of getting well and truly hammered on our home pitch. With Everton away next match I still cannot see us getting enough points in the last 14 games to stay up.  Palace now 5 points ahead of us which in our predicament is an enourmous gap as we now have to win two on the bounce and Palace to lose two to only leave us a point ahead of them.  Sorry but I just cannot see it. 

As always Worthington will be praising the players for everything. A spirited performance yeh but we''ve just conceded 4 goals at home, and surely that''s not good enough. Out of the promoted teams it looks like Palace are the ones who will probably stay up - they beat a team 3-0 who destroyed us in the 2nd half when we played them just 2 or 3 weeks ago. With only, what, 14 games left to play i can''t see there being enough time to improve greatly. We got a good result today but we''re in a worse position. It''s not having a moan, just being realistic.

No doubt that Palace''s victory today will go a long way to help them, but we''re not out of this. 14 games can change alot - and if we get a bit more confidence into the team and get our better players back (Holt''s return will be a big boost) I can still see us doing it.

Remember, one game can change a lot. All we need is a week where we get a bit of luck and we get all three points. Crucially, we also still have to play Southampton, Palace, and WBA - make or break games for us.

Optimism is what we need now. Pessimism won''t help us any.

On the ball city!

[quote]Unfortunaely we put ourselves in the position where we were 4-1 down and yes we done superbly in a one off game to come back to 4-4 however with Palace and Southampton winning (and West Brom as I type...[/quote]

Yep, agree with you totally. Everyone''s on a high thanks to the amazing comeback today but it shouldn''t hide the fact that between Boro''s equaliser and the last 10 minutes, we were awful. Personally I think it will be the defence that gets us relegated in the end. Of today''s line up, Eddy, Flem, Doc and Drury, not a single one of them is of Premiership standard. 

When we played Spurs we had two shots come back off the woodwork and two back cleared on the line - if 2 of these chances had gone in we probably would have won.

We will continue to make defensive errors but if can start putting away our chances we will have a chance to stay up. I do believe Ashton scoring on his home debut could be very good news... and its our turn for a run of luck!

Out of the four teams fighting for 17th place we have the team that can play the better football. Lets get out injured players back and start putting those chances away...

Great comeback but no we wont stay up , 4 points behind Palace now and still have to go to selhurst .Southampton beating Liverpool is another big blow and with West Brom winning too it is just becoming far to difficult a task . 2 wins in 24 both against out of form sides does not give a lot of optimism for getting the wins needed with just 14 games left , or 11 games really as 3 are against Man Utd, Arsenal , and Chelsea.

Unbelievable! WBA win 2-0. Match of the Day are going to have to show the relegation battle matches first today - 3 of the bottom four win and then there is our 8 goal "thriller". I might actually be able to turn the TV off before midnight tonight

Hey - believe me - Ashton is the man we needed up front. Now Huckerby looks dangerous again, and Leon''s got the goal-monkey off his back, it''s the defence that''s the worry. It''ll be better when Charlton, Helveg and Safri come back, but we need 2 central defenders. It scares me every time Flem or Doc get the ball. They are OK as spoilers - last-ditch tackling and interceptions - and that''s important, but neither of them can make a good clearance. More often than not, it''s heading the ball aimlessly a long way up but not a long way out, so losing possession immediately, often in dangerous areas. Even if they have a lot of time, they can''t see a pass, so they hoof it upfield, again losing possession immediately. This desperation-fuelled defending is OK in the Championship, but we need something more in this area.

It was a great comeback, and the best things were that Ashton and Leon got goals, the whole team recovered some self-belief, and the crowd played better than they have all season. But, in all honesty, it was a cup-tie rather than a league game: what we lacked in class we made up in spirit. That works occasionally, but it won''t keep us in the Premiership.

Let''s get things straight today we were playing against a top 6 side. Downing delivers 2 fantasic corners almost unstopable. Hasselbank curls in a free kick that again was brilliantly executed. And after being 1 up lady luck deserts us for the equalizer,- greeno had the original shot covered. Did we curl up and die? with our injury list getting shorter and the big 3 games to come don''t loose the faith. Palace won''t be playing against a team who they are negotiating a transfer deal with every week! Man City are the proverbial Jeckell and Hydes. Liverpool are very ordinary and had it not been so quickly after the Pompey game we would have baten them.

It was a great comeback today.I have never seen anything like it inthe 16 years i have been going to Carrow Road. But we do have to look at how we got into that position. Our defending has to improve. Saying that I thought the Doc was awesome today and i retract my comment that he was never going to offer us anything.

I thought however Edworthy was weak today and Drury although he had a solid game still has a lot of work to do regarding his positional sense. He gives his man far too much space and gets sucked in to the middle far to easily ( could he make a good central defender??) Another thing which I thought was evident was the lack of presence in our central midfield today. For some infuriating reason, Damo just goes missing and he did this for most of the match today. Mulryne was very weak and very slow. I hope Holts match fitness soon comes back as he made a difference today and the rest he has had will have done him the world of good. The good thing today was obviously our front line. Hucks back to his best and as for Ashton needing time to settle in to Premiership football....dont make me laugh! He was awesome!

So there we are. If we can get someone in to revitalise the defence. Get some presence back in the midfield I too think we can put a run together and get ourselves out of the drop zone!