Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Do we really need anyone else?

Ugh, transfer day, such a soap opera. You get the feeling some people on here would be happy if we signed Tony Cottee so long as we got someone, just so we didn''t miss out! There''s a reason Wenger doesn''t play this game, even if it annoys Arsenal fans - love this quote from BBC site:"Being an Arsenal fan on deadline day is like being in detention at school and watching other kids play outside!"Ok, so a pacey McNamee type winger (who''s good) would give us more options (which is presumably why we''re in for Bennett), and then maybe Torres up front off Holt ;) But bare in mind the kind of player we''re in the market for, (cheap) do you really think there''s any striker out there who is better than what we have? We could go out and get another Jackson or Oli Johnson, but what would be the point of that? Plus Lansbury is no slouch and can play on the wing - you can''t tell me Bennett is better than him. No, our real problem is that Chrissy and Holt have both hit a barren patch at the same time. This is most inconsiderate of them, but it''s not something that can be solved by throwing what money we do have on a striker who''s no better than them and who may only upset the balance and the mood of the team. Which is as vital to its success as any single individual. On the plus side, we''ve sured up defensively and others are chipping in with goals so our results are holding up. When the front two come good, I believe we''ll be able to mount a serious challenge on the summit, whatever happens today transfer wise.

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="machinestead"]I agree entirely with a1canary''s post.[/quote]

Yep, it''s far too sensible.

[/quote]Fully agree with that.

I don''t think we need a striker, but I do think we need a decent winger. We don''t really have much of a plan B at the moment with Lambert seemingly having lost faith in McNammee. On Saturday we had no joy down the middle, but were playing so narrow that we didn''t get the ball in the box either. It was crying out for a winger!

However, I agree fully that we don''t want to be just signing any old player just to get someone through the door.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]How is Holt on a bad run of form? 12 goals  & 8 assists isn''t bad for a striker...[/quote]

Not out of form as such, but 1 goal in last 6 games isn''t what we need when we don''t have another striker scoring....

How is Holt on a bad run? Come on Lewie, GingerP has spelt it out - 1 in 6 is not the kind of strike rate we''re looking for from our main striker. I''m his biggest fan. He''s still the first name on the team sheet for me but right now he IS on a bad run. Fact.

My point is more that in spite of that and Martin''s form (who''s on an even more barren run), we''re second in the league and so when (not if) they come good, we''ll be in a v strong position. I hope...

Do we need anyone , simple do we want promotion or not , squad as it is will struggle to finish top 6 . We have no consistent goalscorer, in fact we have 3 strikers who couldnt hit a cows arse to save their lives.

yes, almost every other club in the championship have score more goals than us

well apart from err........19 of them

but then goals scored by ''non strikers'' don''t count, that''s why we are mid table

I think we definitely need somebody.  We have a very good squad but up front I think we are lacking a little bit and I would just like someone else to come in on loan maybe to take a little of pressure of Holt.  A striker would be my priority, our midfield is good enough and creates enough chances but we just need someone to score those half chances.