Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Defence Partneship

Brilliant.1. Are you aware of the rules of football?2. Been to many games this season?Ward, on the whole, has been excellent.

Ward is generally good, but has cost us 3 goals in the last 3 games...  2 of which were similar.  He should have done better preventing the ball getting to Commons at Derby, and then yesterday and the 1st goal V Portsmouth were virtually the same.

[quote user="morty"]Brilliant.1. Are you aware of the rules of football?2. Been to many games this season?Ward, on the whole, has been excellent.[/quote]

what Morty said !! :)

Hmmm - compare and contrast criticism of Ward/Barnett with Doc from previous seasons....

This seasons central defenders direct mistakes ARE costing us goals week in and week out - something even Doc did not stoop to.  That has cost us points and is something that we need to improve upon

(blue touch paper lit - retired to safe distance) [li]

Barnett & Ward have shown they should be able to improve,  the question is whether performances will prove that?  And how long do we give them?  Its the main area that is likely to prevent us sustaining some sort of promotion challenge.  Drury returning will help - but nearly all the problems are with the central 2.

I know I will get shouted down from all angles, but I am not Barnett''s biggest fan.  I am glad we have signed him as he has looked good in some games, but he can appear quite clumsy and leaves big gaps between him and Ward OR they both get drawn towards the first ball.

It is a developing partnership, but they need to work on some aspects.  I would like to see Nelson maybe keep his place if Barnett gets a longer suspension just for that extra experience.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Didn''t look that great on the highlights!! Think we got about 30 seconds worth.[/quote]I agree, and on the Championship the other week they only showed the goals but he might have been at fault for one of them. [8-)]

[quote user="Pabs"]

I know I will get shouted down from all angles, but I am not Barnett''s biggest fan. [/quote]

Aren''t you?

I think he''s a bloody brilliant defender. Not just for the way he attacks the ball so well but for some of the intelligence and consideration he shows on the pitch.

There was a great example in the Pompey game when he performed a diving header (of sorts) just to take the weight off the ball which was going harmlessly through to Ruddy anyway. There was no danger to us but he just did that little bit extra (that plenty of other players wouldn''t) to make things easier for his colleague. Very classy.