Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Fry has quit twitter!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Four little Deliarites... sittiing in a row,What''s their problem... I don''t know,Can''t mention student... can''t mention gay,Looks like his Twitter chums are out to to play.[/quote]Are you employed by the East Anglian Daily Times to drive people away from here ?If not, maybe you should give them a call ?  Might be a couple of quid in it for you ?[/quote]On the contrary Blah.  All of the threads with silly bickering and banter get the most views and most replies. That''s why this place is so lively and has such an active message board. People don''t have to join in... but the lure is irresistable.I''m always up for a quid however. Who do I contact at EADT to claim my prize?[/quote]In that case, maybe you and Wiz are taking sly backhanders from Archant to drive up site traffic by infuriating the p*ss out of everyone? Much as people know it makes more sense to ignore you, you do both seem to have that canny knack of getting lots of people to bite... ;)[/quote]It''s just harmless fun Coelho.... and with a son at Uni  I know exactly what gets him going.  Rest assured that if Moderator Pete didn''t understand the humour he would have thrown me and Wiz off long ago...... or in my case, again. Teasing students/former students pretty much guarantees a reaction!Just to add to this... do you think that if really I meant any of it I could handle the flak I get?  Ignore it if you don''t like it.... or preferably play silly buggers with me and have a bit of a laugh.[:)]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Coming from Stowmarket you are clearly infected.... and added to Leicester, clearly a la de da student. (I might add here that you shouldn''t expect anyone in business to take your degree seriously). So what does someone who has never had a job know about working class people? [/quote]

You really have it in for students don''t you Cluck, do you have an inferiority complex?  And no I am no longer a student I graduated from one of the best Universities in the country in 2009 and I''m pretty proud of it to be honest, with some of the grammar you use it would probably make sense if you went and studied some English to get you up to scratch.

What do you know about business people taking my degree seriously anyway, do you know what it is in?  You''re just an empty vessel Cluck, you know absolutely nothing; you try and come across all-seeing and knowing, but in all honesty you''re just an insignificant ignoramous.

And by the way, I do have a job thank you very much.

[/quote]As you go through life you will realise empty vessels make the most noise.

Cluck in his panto villain role can be quite entertaining but sadly Wiz is just a sad bitter old man.

Shame really as I''m sure there must be a day center in Lowestoft somewhere who can accomodate him a few days a week where he could join in with a sing song or two and a game of skittles to cheer him up.[<:o)]

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

Cluck in his panto villain role can be quite entertaining but sadly Wiz is just a sad bitter old man.

Shame really as I''m sure there must be a day center in Lowestoft somewhere who can accomodate him a few days a week where he could join in with a sing song or two and a game of skittles to cheer him up.[<:o)]

[/quote]I''m quite cuddly in a septic sort of way........ [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Experts in twitter ? What is there to be an expert of ? You send a short message, it gets ignored. You send another short message, you put a # tag on it, if it''s the right tag, some people will see it. You follow people, then they follow you. You can then drop people when you get a lot of followers, but the chances are the people you drop will drop you back unless you have anything interesting to say. Is there anything else to know about twitter, or have I missed some kind of deep meaning that is obvious only to experts ?[/quote]

I have joined twitter , to stay in touch with my son at Uni and also when SF joined the board.

Then it struck me, in true Emperors New Clothes style, that Twitter is the most boring and pointless method of communication ever. You look at celebs "tweeting" each other but ignoring messages from anyone else, and you can still SPEAK on the phone to people that really matter.

Oh, and you can read news papers, or read the web.

Try following Robbie Savage. Hardly an adjective yet developed to describe how utterly pointless his "tweets" are.

Here''s one. "I am sitting typing on my keyboard" Fascinating innit.

To be honest who gives a F**k what other fans think of our club? Can somebody please explain to me why it matters? In your everyday life do you spend all your time worrying what complete strangers think about you, cos if you do I would suggest your a bit self-obsessed. Who are these fans ''laughing'' at us anyway? Are their team in the top 5 of their division?

I fail to see where Cluck, or I come to that, have been homophobic to Mr Fry on this thread, in fact, if we had I''d expect a ban for both of us.

If criticising and questioning the wisdom of appointing a director who has a conivtion for credit card fraud is deemed ''homophobic'' then the lunitics really have taking over asylem!

Had it been anyone other than Delia''s little celebrity pal, you lot would be up in arms, and don''t lie, you damn well know you would!   

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I fail to see where Cluck, or I come to that, have been homophobic to Mr Fry on this thread, in fact, if we had I''d expect a ban for both of us.

If criticising and questioning the wisdom of appointing a director who has a conivtion for credit card fraud is deemed ''homophobic'' then the lunitics really have taking over asylem!

Had it been anyone other than Delia''s little celebrity pal, you lot would be up in arms, and don''t lie, you damn well know you would!   

[/quote]Truth is we haven''t Wiz. Go anywhere near the term ''gay'' and the alarm bells immediately ring... as does the race card. Various little jibes and observations.... but nothing at all aggressive.I''m sure neither of us are in the least homophobic..... but like most people quite enjoy a bit of risque'' banter.... as infact does Stephen Fry every week on QI.

[Y]

"Fry is too busy riding the crest of a

phoney new media ''popularity'' wave to notice that he is

infact just a sad old gaylord with delusions of grandeur."

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do with it?Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do? Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is so valuable to so many of us. I suggest you join the 21st century, the world has changed Grandad and you have been left behind. Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we have to extend it to racists and homphobes!

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do with it?Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do? Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is so valuable to so many of us. I suggest you join the 21st century, the world has changed Grandad and you have been left behind. Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we have to extend it to racists and homphobes![/quote]My point made for me exactly........ Narrow minded little twonk with a serious personality problem. You really are going to enjoy the real world if you ever manage to get out there. Pull your pants up and run along for God''s sake. 

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

"Fry is too busy riding the crest of a phoney new media ''popularity'' wave to notice that he is infact just a sad old gaylord with delusions of grandeur."

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do with it?

Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do? Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is so valuable to so many of us.

I suggest you join the 21st century, the world has changed Grandad and you have been left behind. Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we have to extend it to racists and homphobes!
[/quote]

Unbelievable stuff really, you couldn''t make it up could you?[:S]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do with it?Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do? Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is so valuable to so many of us. I suggest you join the 21st century, the world has changed Grandad and you have been left behind. Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we have to extend it to racists and homphobes![/quote]My point made for me exactly........ Narrow minded little twonk with a serious personality problem. You really are going to enjoy the real world if you ever manage to get out there. Pull your pants up and run along for God''s sake. 

[/quote]Ahh the last refuge of the idiot, when you are too thick to answer any of the points addressed to you, resort to insults. 

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

"Fry is too busy riding the crest of a phoney new media ''popularity'' wave to notice that he is infact just a sad old gaylord with delusions of grandeur."

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do with it?

Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do? Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is so valuable to so many of us.

I suggest you join the 21st century, the world has changed Grandad and you have been left behind. Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we have to extend it to racists and homphobes!
[/quote]

My point made for me exactly........ Narrow minded little twonk with a serious personality problem. You really are going to enjoy the real world if you ever manage to get out there.

Pull your pants up and run along for God''s sake. 

[/quote]

He''s even forgot who said what mate, those words he quote are yours not mine, I''m not that clever!

Apparently in his world, ageisim is ok.

Bless.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

[/quote]

My point made for me exactly........ Narrow minded little twonk with a serious personality problem. You really are going to enjoy the real world if you ever manage to get out there.

[/quote]

Ahh the last refuge of the idiot, when you are too thick to answer any of the points addressed to you, resort to insults. 

[/quote]

What like GRANDAD you mean? [:D]

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

[/quote]Ahh the last refuge of the idiot, when you are too thick to answer any of the points addressed to you, resort to insults

[/quote]No... just a good grounding in the real world and an astute perception when dealing with a naive and petulant child........You''re out of your depth sonny.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

[/quote]

He''s even forgot who said what mate, those words he quote are yours not mine, I''m not that clever!

Bless.

[/quote]Well the post was essentially directed at the both of you. Is the irony lost on you that you are accusing me of ageism, just after that cluck idiot has insinuated that I am young and therefore foolish? Ageism works both ways mate. I am in my 30s by the way. I accept that ageism is wrong, do you accept that homophobia is too?Sorry for the ageist remark.

Okay I will try one more time then admit defeat. If you would like to address any of the points made in my two previous posts I would be delighted to have a grown up discussion with you that negates the need for schoolyard insults. "

To be honest who gives a F**k what

other fans think of our club? Can somebody please explain to me why

it matters? In your everyday life do you spend all your time worrying

what complete strangers think about you, cos if you do I would

suggest your a bit self-obsessed.

Who are these fans

''laughing'' at us anyway? Are their team in the top 5 of their

division"

" ''Fry is too busy riding the crest of a phoney new media

''popularity'' wave to notice that he is infact just a sad old gaylord

with delusions of grandeur.''

What is homophobic about the above is that you are using his

sexuality in a derogatory way, if he is in fact a sad, old and with

delusions of grandeur, what exactly does his sexuality have to do

with it?Why the hatred for Stephen Fry? Even if you don''t

think he can do much good for the club, what possible harm can he do?

Oh yeah I forgot our precious reputation around the country that is

so valuable to so many of us. I suggest you join the 21st

century, the world has changed * and you have been left behind.

Though tolerance is a great thing and I promote it, I don''t think we

have to extend it to racists and homphobes!"

* The word ''Grandad'' has been removed as is considered ageist

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bless.

[/quote]

Well the post was essentially directed at the both of you.

Is the irony lost on you that you are accusing me of ageism, just after that cluck idiot has insinuated that I am young and therefore foolish? Ageism works both ways mate. I am in my 30s by the way.

I accept that ageism is wrong, do you accept that homophobia is too?

Sorry for the ageist remark.
[/quote]

Of course homophobia is wrong DB, but imo, Cluck wasn''t being so, it was a Fryisim he used, nothing more I believe, as for the other, consider it closed.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

[/quote]

Bless.

[/quote]Well the post was essentially directed at the both of you. Is the irony lost on you that you are accusing me of ageism, just after that cluck idiot has insinuated that I am young and therefore foolish? Ageism works both ways mate. I am in my 30s by the way. I accept that ageism is wrong, do you accept that homophobia is too?Sorry for the ageist remark. [/quote]If you''re in your 30''s and still so naive you should be very worried indeed.....therefore ageism doesn''t come into it does it?.... other than the ageist remark you made directed at me of course.  I suspect your tantrum is more about defending Stephen Fry rather than the overall issue.... It''s just a shame you can''t ''Twitter'' him to show what a loyal little fan you''re being isn''t it?You don''t want to buy a car by any chance do you? Good little runner.....

Yes I will defend Stephen Fry. He is a person I respect immensely and somebody that has a hell of a lot of integrity. He is also a city fan and is for no personal gain offering his time to help our club. I have yet to come across a convincing argument against him. All I have heard is that he broke the law in his youth (I would wager a fair few of us have done that, though not all of us caught) and also that through comments he made on a social networking site that were not even related to Norwich City FC he has made our club a laughing stock across the whole country. And still nobody can offer me an explanation for why it matters in the slightest what other people think about our club. Thats what I think about the matter anyway, don''t know why that makes me naive, perhaps you could expand upon the nature of my naivety.

Anyway, he is back on Twitter now.

This means that Wizard and Cluck will be too embarrased to show their faces back on the streets of England for all the abuse they will take. This is turn will probably mean they are on this site more, so bit of a poor result for everyone else on the site I guess...

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/11/04/silliness/From a plane above the atlantic, on Twitter..."You may wonder why I duck out of Twitter at such times: well it may seem

pusillanimous but it’s really, as I have said, just to avoid being

sympathised with or told about an article I would otherwise never have

got wind of. I soon enough slink back and before long it’s as if nothing

happened. Clears the air. Does good on all sides"And on the other thing..."...I did a photo-shoot for the magazine, during which and after which I conversed with a profiler. I can’t remember his name and I haven’t actually read the article he wrote as a result. They sent me three copies of the magazine and I looked at the photo on the front cover and now the magazines lie piled up somewhere. However vain, smug and self-worshipping you may think me, and I’m aware that many think me a revolting compound of all those things, I can promise you that I almost never watch the programmes I make nor do I read articles about me or interviews that I’ve given. Nor would you if you were me. Well, I chatted to this fellow on the day; he seemed very nice and very charming and we had a pleasant, relaxed and easy conversation. That’s the word, a conversation. I remember very little of it, but I can picture the narrow little room in which the latter part of it took place. At some point we chatted about gay sexuality – well, you would wouldn’t you, for a gay magazine? – and as part of that conversation I repeated the old canard about how men, unlike women, were cursed with their uniquely pressing and annoying libidos. Straight men I have known have often (of course mostly in a kind of bitter jest) said how much they envied gay people the simplicity of their erotic lifestyles (cottaging and cruising and so on) and I vamped for a while on that theme. I do not believe it as some kind of eternal gender truth, I was simply taking a thought for a walk, I was “playing gracefully with ideas” to repeat Oscar’s great phrase, or at least attempting to do so. But the important thing to remember is that the subject was not straight female sexuality, but gay male sexuality. It’s the only sexuality of which I have direct experience and how could I presume to speak of any other?Was it naïve in me that it never for a second crossed my mind that this conversation would be sold on to other papers? That it would be “picked up” and make a disastrous move from being a conversation to some kind of public “declaration”? “Stephen Fry declares that women don’t enjoy sex.” It was as if I had called a press conference in order to give the world the benefit of my wisdom. For heaven’s arsing sake."You can see why he doesn''t want to do print interviews really - how badly is it possible to be paraphrased ?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

This means that Wizard and Cluck will be too embarrased to show their faces back on the streets of England for all the abuse they will take. This is turn will probably mean they are on this site more, so bit of a poor result for everyone else on the site I guess...

[/quote]You would never see me on the streets of Bethnal Green anyway.....Some of us do have standards to maintain. Rather a dump if I may say so.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Yes I will defend Stephen Fry. He is a person I respect immensely and somebody that has a hell of a lot of integrity. He is also a city fan and is for no personal gain offering his time to help our club. I have yet to come across a convincing argument against him. All I have heard is that he broke the law in his youth (I would wager a fair few of us have done that, though not all of us caught) and also that through comments he made on a social networking site that were not even related to Norwich City FC he has made our club a laughing stock across the whole country. And still nobody can offer me an explanation for why it matters in the slightest what other people think about our club. Thats what I think about the matter anyway, don''t know why that makes me naive, perhaps you could expand upon the nature of my naivety. [/quote]Some of the naivety comes from the comments made being totally transparent.  It was very evident that you were a Stephen Fry luvvie.... because such a vitriolic outburst over something so trivial could only come about this way.If you dance in the limelight you must expect to be criticised.... and even I am not beyond that.

[quote user="cluck"]...for his own sake he should stop believing the media hype and get his head out of the clouds. [/quote]And yet Mr Fry, in his blog, states that he very rarely reads or watches any of the output he is involved in.  So whose head is in the clouds, cluck ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="cluck"]...for his own sake he should stop believing the media hype and get his head out of the clouds. [/quote]And yet Mr Fry, in his blog, states that he very rarely reads or watches any of the output he is involved in.  So whose head is in the clouds, cluck ?[/quote]Apparently the general view is that I''ve got my head up my arse... so make your bloody minds up.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="cluck"]...for his own sake he should stop believing the media hype and get his head out of the clouds. [/quote]And yet Mr Fry, in his blog, states that he very rarely reads or watches any of the output he is involved in.  So whose head is in the clouds, cluck ?[/quote]Apparently the general view is that I''ve got my head up my arse... so make your bloody minds up.[/quote]If you had to read your output you would probably never write it - so maybe you have more in common with Fry than you think ? [;)]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

You have to be kidding son, I, and no doubt Cluck, don''t do embarrased.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Yes I will defend Stephen Fry. He is a person I respect immensely and somebody that has a hell of a lot of integrity. He is also a city fan and is for no personal gain offering his time to help our club. I have yet to come across a convincing argument against him. All I have heard is that he broke the law in his youth (I would wager a fair few of us have done that, though not all of us caught) and also that through comments he made on a social networking site that were not even related to Norwich City FC he has made our club a laughing stock across the whole country. And still nobody can offer me an explanation for why it matters in the slightest what other people think about our club. Thats what I think about the matter anyway, don''t know why that makes me naive, perhaps you could expand upon the nature of my naivety. [/quote]Some of the naivety comes from the comments made being totally transparent.  It was very evident that you were a Stephen Fry luvvie.... because such a vitriolic outburst over something so trivial could only come about this way.If you dance in the limelight you must expect to be criticised.... and even I am not beyond that.[/quote]I like to hope that I am objective and despite my admiration for Mr Fry would criticise him if it were warranted. In this case I did not deem it warranted. Criticism when at its best is constructive and informed, at its worst it is merely insults, you practice the latter.