Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Do we, as a club, want to get promoted?

[quote user="ryan1992"]As I read somewhere (it may have even been an interview by Mcnally) one year in the PL would wipe out Norwich''s debts with the £90m parachute payments. Why wouldn''t you want that? I want people to look at Norwich thinking we are a decent PL side, not a team who are rotting away in the second tier, and as for opting out of the PL if we won the league, you are joking i hope?[/quote]No, I''m not joking. The premier league is a distorted, engorged, bloated, revolting victim of it''s own hype. Rotting away in the second tier? Why are we rotting away? We have 25,000 fans, a good team, a good manager, good atmosphere and some really big games coming up.I don''t believe that about wiping out the debts either. Fair enough, it''s possible if you keep your running costs identical to what they are now. But if you"show some ambition" by signing a few mercenaries like Jimmy Bullard, Sol Campbell et al you''ll soon be in massive debt again, and this time have no way of escaping it. Top flight football is an unworkable model, unless you''re a Russian oligarch, American oil tycoon or an Arabic crown prince. What a load of balls that is.I enjoyed the third division. Maybe I''m just bored of the over-hyped, over-saturated, over-celebrated, wall-to-wall football lifestyle of this era. Maybe I''m just being curmugeonly but I know there''s others that think the same way I do.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="ryan1992"]As I read somewhere (it may have even been an interview by Mcnally) one year in the PL would wipe out Norwich''s debts with the £90m parachute payments. Why wouldn''t you want that? I want people to look at Norwich thinking we are a decent PL side, not a team who are rotting away in the second tier, and as for opting out of the PL if we won the league, you are joking i hope?[/quote]No, I''m not joking. The premier league is a distorted, engorged, bloated, revolting victim of it''s own hype. Rotting away in the second tier? Why are we rotting away? We have 25,000 fans, a good team, a good manager, good atmosphere and some really big games coming up.I don''t believe that about wiping out the debts either. Fair enough, it''s possible if you keep your running costs identical to what they are now. But if you"show some ambition" by signing a few mercenaries like Jimmy Bullard, Sol Campbell et al you''ll soon be in massive debt again, and this time have no way of escaping it. Top flight football is an unworkable model, unless you''re a Russian oligarch, American oil tycoon or an Arabic crown prince. What a load of balls that is.I enjoyed the third division. Maybe I''m just bored of the over-hyped, over-saturated, over-celebrated, wall-to-wall football lifestyle of this era. Maybe I''m just being curmugeonly but I know there''s others that think the same way I do.[/quote]Good stuff, pretty much how I feel about it.[:)]

[quote user="Boogle"]

Liverpool went from winning or competing for the title year in year out, to top 4 champions league place, to 7th and UEFA cup qualifying rounds, are you seriously saying thats not fading away? You may be too young to recall this, but Liverpool and Man utd have switched places in the last 15 years +. Man utd would see a top 5 finish as success in the late 80s, early 90s, while Liverpool saw 2nd place as a failure. No title for, 20ish years for Liverpool, that is fading away.

[/quote]Man Utd were lucky/skilled enough to make their money JUST before the Premier league era began. So since then they are impenetrable as they already have the squad to compete in Europe which gives them the money to improve their squad which gives allows them to compete in Europe which gives them money .... etc etc.It''s just a merry-go-round that only the incredibly rich can jump on. Liverpool are fading because they don''t have the money to compete.

I want Norwich to play at the highest possible level. I want to see the best players and the best teams at Carrow Road, and as likely or unlikely as it is I want Norwich to do well against these players and teams. The Premiership isn''t necessarily the best league in the world, but it is the highest division in this country, and if a team isn''t aiming to reach it what''s the point of them existing?

Last season was enjoyable for all manner of reasons, but one fo the main ones was because we were winning and were promoted, where would the fun be in remaining in the Championship season after season? I don''t expect us to be pushing for the PL title, although like everyone I''d love it if we could, but the club and fans should aim as high as possible.

Basically there are people who call themselves Norwich fans, who want to go to some games next year to see us lose because we don''t want to get to the top flight. Why don''t you want to get to the top flight? Because we will lose more games, you want us to lose in this league to stop us from losing in the PL?!I bet you won''t go on any Blackpool message boards and find any fans complaining that they have got to the Premier league, they will be proud of what they have achieved, and after being relegated will be one of the favourites the following year. Does this mean you want to see Ipswich promoted because you see the Premier league as a bit of a step down?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]IverpoolLiverpool have had managers who wasted money! Thy will move up again now![/quote]

So you do admit they faded away then. Cheers thats all I wanted to know.

I dont understand this discussion. Are some people seriously saying they would be gutted if we won promotion, because thats basically what you are saying by stating you dont want to be in the premier league. Oh well then, if we go 20 games unbeaten, we better start cheering on the opposition, because heaven forbid, we win promotion to that damn premier league.

Basically there are people who call themselves Norwich fans, who want to go to some games next year to see us lose because we don''t want to get to the top flight. Why don''t you want to get to the top flight? Because we will lose more games, you want us to lose in this league to stop us from losing in the PL?!I bet you won''t go on any Blackpool message boards and find any fans complaining that they have got to the Premier league, they will be proud of what they have achieved, and after being relegated will be one of the favourites the following year. Does this mean you want to see Ipswich promoted because you see the Premier league as a bit of a step down? - ryan 1992

WOW! What perspective! Very well explained with valid, salient points and scearios. I wish I''d put it this way. Well done, r1992.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Boogle"]

Liverpool went from winning or competing for the title year in year out, to top 4 champions league place, to 7th and UEFA cup qualifying rounds, are you seriously saying thats not fading away? You may be too young to recall this, but Liverpool and Man utd have switched places in the last 15 years +. Man utd would see a top 5 finish as success in the late 80s, early 90s, while Liverpool saw 2nd place as a failure. No title for, 20ish years for Liverpool, that is fading away.

[/quote]Man Utd were lucky/skilled enough to make their money JUST before the Premier league era began. So since then they are impenetrable as they already have the squad to compete in Europe which gives them the money to improve their squad which gives allows them to compete in Europe which gives them money .... etc etc.It''s just a merry-go-round that only the incredibly rich can jump on. Liverpool are fading because they don''t have the money to compete.[/quote]So Liverpool did not have more money than Man Utd in the few years prior to the Premiership beginning?You may have some facts to back up your point of view above, but this certainly isn''t one of them.  Liverpool used to always get the pick of the best talent going in the late 80''s and early 90''s.  Would you not agree that the Scousers not being able to lift the title for 20 years kind of proves that football moves in cycles?Arsenal haven''t won it for a few years now and the majority of pundits would place Man City as a better bet to win it for the first time since 1968 than Arsenal over the next few seasons.How many years did the biggest club in England go without winning the league title?  Man Utd went 26 years without picking up a league title between 1967 and 1993.  What do you suppose the reason for that was?  Were Man Utd skint?  Maybe they will go a very long time without winning it again once Fergie either finally retires, or falls off his perch?  Who knows?  The one certainty is that football will change and other clubs will both surprise people by perhaps over-achieving while so called bigger clubs will struggle for a while.Why did Newcastle spend a season in the Championship last year if it is all down to money???

We will not have fun in the prem and the games will be uncompetitive. The championship will bring us exciting games and will make games worth going to see.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]IverpoolLiverpool have had managers who wasted money! Thy will move up again now![/quote]So you admit that it isn''t simply money which buys success then?If it did then would we not have Man City as the current Champions of England?Get yourself a skilled manager and some money and you have every chance of pushing for a European place.  If you can get top 4 then top players want to come to you because you are playing in the Champions League (rather like the decision of playing in the Premiership or the Championship really).  It is probably more European football that needs to change - 4 teams in the Champions League has always been a joke as far as I''m concerned.  They should go back to the old European Cup format of Champions only and if you lose over a two leg cup tie then you are out!Giving the failures of the Champions League another shot at winning the UEFA cup sums up how football at the very top is for me.  Give me an FA Cup win for City over a 4th place finish any day of the week.Football is about winning trophies, not how much money a club or a player has.

We may as well give up on ever winning the Championship again while we are at it Nana?  Because how can we possibly compete with the teams who have parachute payments?It is the same impossible playing field as you claim the Premiership to be surely???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]IverpoolLiverpool have had managers who wasted money! Thy will move up again now![/quote]

So you admit that it isn''t simply money which buys success then?

If it did then would we not have Man City as the current Champions of England?

Get yourself a skilled manager and some money and you have every chance of pushing for a European place.  If you can get top 4 then top players want to come to you because you are playing in the Champions League (rather like the decision of playing in the Premiership or the Championship really).  It is probably more European football that needs to change - 4 teams in the Champions League has always been a joke as far as I''m concerned.  They should go back to the old European Cup format of Champions only and if you lose over a two leg cup tie then you are out!

Giving the failures of the Champions League another shot at winning the UEFA cup sums up how football at the very top is for me.  Give me an FA Cup win for City over a 4th place finish any day of the week.

Football is about winning trophies, not how much money a club or a player has.
[/quote]

No if the money is spent wisely. Benitez brought some awful players, lucas, insua and more. RH will buy players who will improve liverpool and has big money so he can get betetr players so they improve. Norwich do not have £12m+ to buy the top players so can not compete with the prem teams who are going for europe.

[quote user="hogesar"]

Banana you dumb shit.

[/quote]There`s always one isn`t there.   upto now 129 replies to link and all have been civil.restoring my faith in the pink un

[quote user="emmaroyds"][quote user="hogesar"]

Banana you dumb shit.

[/quote]

There`s always one isn`t there.   upto now 129 replies to link and all have been civil.

restoring my faith in the pink un
[/quote]

Im not dumb.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="I am a Banana"]IverpoolLiverpool have had managers who wasted money! Thy will move up again now![/quote]So you admit that it isn''t simply money which buys success then?If it did then would we not have Man City as the current Champions of England?Get yourself a skilled manager and some money and you have every chance of pushing for a European place.  If you can get top 4 then top players want to come to you because you are playing in the Champions League (rather like the decision of playing in the Premiership or the Championship really).  It is probably more European football that needs to change - 4 teams in the Champions League has always been a joke as far as I''m concerned.  They should go back to the old European Cup format of Champions only and if you lose over a two leg cup tie then you are out!Giving the failures of the Champions League another shot at winning the UEFA cup sums up how football at the very top is for me.  Give me an FA Cup win for City over a 4th place finish any day of the week.Football is about winning trophies, not how much money a club or a player has.[/quote]

No if the money is spent wisely. Benitez brought some awful players, lucas, insua and more. RH will buy players who will improve liverpool and has big money so he can get betetr players so they improve. Norwich do not have £12m+ to buy the top players so can not compete with the prem teams who are going for europe.

[/quote]But do we have a better manager Nana??? [:|]

Forget about the Nana thoughts, clearly someone who has zero ambition. Content watching soap operas and beliving their village is safe from harm.

Sport is designed to be competitive and this person shows none of this. If you support a team just to be safe from harm, then you have to ask why you really bother - more so write about it. It becomes pointless in their, the Nanas, point of view and may as well do something less boring instead. A Grade Muppet.

Object of sport is to win, not just compete and get as far up as that ladder as possible. Thinking otherwise it just becomes a past time/hobby.

[quote user="Thorny"]Forget about the Nana thoughts, clearly someone who has zero ambition. Content watching soap operas and beliving their village is safe from harm. Sport is designed to be competitive and this person shows none of this. If you support a team just to be safe from harm, then you have to ask why you really bother - more so write about it. It becomes pointless in their, the Nanas, point of view and may as well do something less boring instead. A Grade Muppet. Object of sport is to win, not just compete and get as far up as that ladder as possible. Thinking otherwise it just becomes a past time/hobby.[/quote]

thats all we would do in the prem. Just make up the numbers.

[quote user="Thorny"]Forget about the Nana thoughts, clearly someone who has zero ambition. Content watching soap operas and beliving their village is safe from harm. Sport is designed to be competitive and this person shows none of this. If you support a team just to be safe from harm, then you have to ask why you really bother - more so write about it. It becomes pointless in their, the Nanas, point of view and may as well do something less boring instead. A Grade Muppet. Object of sport is to win, not just compete and get as far up as that ladder as possible. Thinking otherwise it just becomes a past time/hobby.[/quote]

Good stuff, it was being happy to just compete that got us relegated to that sh;te hole League One.

[quote user="Thorny"]Forget about the Nana thoughts, clearly someone who has zero ambition. Content watching soap operas and beliving their village is safe from harm.

Sport is designed to be competitive and this person shows none of this. If you support a team just to be safe from harm, then you have to ask why you really bother - more so write about it. It becomes pointless in their, the Nanas, point of view and may as well do something less boring instead. A Grade Muppet.

Object of sport is to win, not just compete and get as far up as that ladder as possible. Thinking otherwise it just becomes a past time/hobby.[/quote]no need for the abuse because you disagree with his point of view[:@]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

But if you dont want us in the premiership, you must want us to stay in the championship, therefore we would be just "making up the numbers" in the championship wouldnt we?

[quote user="emmaroyds"][quote user="Thorny"]Forget about the Nana thoughts, clearly someone who has zero ambition. Content watching soap operas and beliving their village is safe from harm. Sport is designed to be competitive and this person shows none of this. If you support a team just to be safe from harm, then you have to ask why you really bother - more so write about it. It becomes pointless in their, the Nanas, point of view and may as well do something less boring instead. A Grade Muppet. Object of sport is to win, not just compete and get as far up as that ladder as possible. Thinking otherwise it just becomes a past time/hobby.[/quote]

no need for the abuse because you disagree with his point of view[:@]
[/quote]

im sure message boards are for opinions?![:S]

No need to sink to insults, we are never going to agree on the same subject.

Now about David James Banana LOL.

It does get like Prime ministers question on here sometimes[:D]David James, I wonder how much they`re paying him and he`s been quoted on sky as saying he want`s more England caps, I think not[:(]

[quote user="Boogle"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

But if you dont want us in the premiership, you must want us to stay in the championship, therefore we would be just "making up the numbers" in the championship wouldnt we?

[/quote]Yeah in a way, but we would be playing good competitive games week in week out. In the prem we would be there to be battered by the top teams and better the teams down the botton, and have very few good competitive games!

The question is, why bothter with supporting sport if you don''t want success? You may as well watch May Flys mate, die and waste countless months until the next cycle occurs and achieved nothing.

Nana is clearly that dumb! Don''t like it, do something different and not post about nothingness where you pay to watch "your" team do "nothing". That is what the Nana is saying you should all do - follow their lead and.....lemmings over the cliff (the sooner the better imo!)