Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

On the Ball city.....pre-match.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CDMullins"]How do we make money from been promt to sing OTBC before matches? Most clubs have run out songs that are related to the club and start a song. Hull and Derby are 2 off the top of my head, also Man Utd play Country Roads so they can join in with there own version.[/quote]

Because the person / people that come on the pitch to start it off pay to do so. I think its a lot of money too.
[/quote]

You''re joking. Anyone know how much? You would have to pay me to do that

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CDMullins"]How do we make money from been promt to sing OTBC before matches? Most clubs have run out songs that are related to the club and start a song. Hull and Derby are 2 off the top of my head, also Man Utd play Country Roads so they can join in with there own version.[/quote]Because the person / people that come on the pitch to start it off pay to do so. I think its a lot of money too.[/quote]

You''re joking. Anyone know how much? You would have to pay me to do that

[/quote]I''m thinking its part of a package, where you meet the players pre game, have a meal etc and could be about £100.

I think it works well even if it is a bit contrived.But, I do wish everyone would actually sing all of the last line before launching-in to "City...City... etc" at the end.  "Hurrah, we''ve scored a goal" never gets further than "Hurrah, we''ve scored".  Is this because everyone is in too much of a hurry or is it because many of those singing it don''t know the words?

[quote user="Tony from southrepps"]Being prompted to sing OTBC is naff always has been always will be, and i don''t join in as i hate the whole idea  of it.  Prehaps i am too old school and the new generation of fans love all this sing along prompting and jumping up and down to that awful yankee style goal celebration  music ,but not for me i prefer the crowd getting my emotions going it feels more real and genuine to me anyway.[/quote]Same here.

It''s horrible and so contrived. What makes it even worse is the drawn out build up to it by the on pitch PA. The away fans twig on and rip the piss, rightly so as well. Please scrap it.

"Interesting angle CIty1st ....................

When did it get sped up / the notes get lost?"

It seems to have happened when the seats were put in. The singinging stopped, the innumerable chants stopped.

Previously the first few lines would be sung and the rest of the crowd would take it up. Now it appears that the first line has to delivered in the same tone as some chavvy mum shouting at her kids.

My other recollection is that it was sung very infrequently. More as a collective understanding that it was a ''special occasion'', memorable game etc. Sadly, it has now been devalued into an angry shout.

If we have to have someone on the pitch then lets have someone who can sing, someone who will SING the song and then a bit BEFORE the players even take to the pitch.

Listen to how the egg chasers SING ''swing low, sweet chariot'', imagine that being debased into a shouty cuckoo clock delivery.

Language changes over time... get over yourselves...

An old song has slowly changed and morphed into a more modern version, that doesn''t sound out of place. This is a good thing. All language change over time and keeping OTBC relevant is more important that keeping a bunch of old cnut''s happy because our pronunciation aren''t that which their 1930''s English teachers would''ve been proud of.

Oh dear, are you one of these angry young men ?

Perhaps you could point out where I commented about pronounciation. You might also care to note that I was replying to a question in an earlier post. Or maybe that the thread was about the playing of OTBC, which does mean people will comment.

Perhaps it might also help if you were back at school today where your teacher (1930''s or not) could explain that the idea of a post is to reply to what WAS posted, not make something up to over excite yourself about.

ps perhaps the irony of your warbling on about language changing, in a topic about a song that includes having a little scrimmage and bravo, probably also went above your head ......nevermind you did try your best

"angry young men"

Don''t let the baby-face good looks fool you... sorry if I don''t reply with the same levels of patronisation and name-calling... my post wasn''t directed at you per se, but at the thread...

The language has changed - the order of the words, and which words, has changed - for example, the "scored a goal/we''ve scored" bit on the end - the language has changed. People say scrummage, not scrimmage, another example.

Things change and adapt top stay relevant... do you believe that - for example - old hymns are sung word for word, exactly the same as they have since they were written? They''ve changed, been updated, stay relevant. Those that didn''t are long forgotten.

For example the song itself was written for another club (another Norwich club, admittedly) - and it''s changed and adapted - it had changed and been adapted over a 100 years ago and it continues to do so.

For me, it''s more important that it''s been modernised and stayed relevant, than it has been fixed in a time-warp and faded to obscurity and forgotten. You''d be whining how the "kids" and the "angry young men" don''t sing our anthem any more, rather than that it''s "too fast" etc., if it had.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"angry young men"

Don''t let the baby-face good looks fool you... sorry if I don''t reply with the same levels of patronisation and name-calling... my post wasn''t directed at you per se, but at the thread...

The language has changed - the order of the words, and which words, has changed - for example, the "scored a goal/we''ve scored" bit on the end - the language has changed. People say scrummage, not scrimmage, another example.

Things change and adapt top stay relevant... do you believe that - for example - old hymns are sung word for word, exactly the same as they have since they were written? They''ve changed, been updated, stay relevant. Those that didn''t are long forgotten.

For example the song itself was written for another club (another Norwich club, admittedly) - and it''s changed and adapted - it had changed and been adapted over a 100 years ago and it continues to do so.

For me, it''s more important that it''s been modernised and stayed relevant, than it has been fixed in a time-warp and faded to obscurity and forgotten. You''d be whining how the "kids" and the "angry young men" don''t sing our anthem any more, rather than that it''s "too fast" etc., if it had.[/quote]Really? Is that true?

It wasn''t the baby faced looks I can assure you.

I''m not sure about the the words changing as you claim, they may be different through misundanding rather than any conscious attempt at change. swing low, sweet chariot has not needed to change to stay relevant.

Nor has Liverpools ''Walk on", Newcastle''s " Blaydon races or even Brum''s " Keep right on to the end of the road ". All of which a sung and are the better for it.,

The cuckoo clock, chav shout is not our sung. Big shame.

"swing low, sweet chariot has not needed to change to stay relevant. "

It''s a slave song, FFS! It never was relevant! It''s only been sung in the last couple of decade, also - it hasn''t the legs of OTBC. Rugby games (and I''ve been to 100''s) have the atmosphere of a funeral, compared to football... you want to sing slow songs, stay in church.

"Liverpools ''Walk on"

Celtics ''Walk on''...! :P

"The cuckoo clock, chav shout is not our sung. Big shame. "

Wha? Sorri? Cun yoo spook Engleesh?

Like I said - when sung in 1902 by us for the first time, the words had already changed from the original version. How precious can you be?

Without wishing permanently, to disrupt this ever-spiralling young cub vs old master ding-dong...

I wonder if there is value in taking the best from old and new times, rather than seeing a good<>bad dichotomy.

The modern version has certainly got the aggression and punch that we like to deliver as fans, while the song is rather melodic and great in itself. City1st''s idea of actually playing the full original at home games is actually a nice thought.

Perhaps a modern re-recording might go down best...

"The modern version has certainly got the aggression and punch that we like to deliver as fans, while the song is rather melodic and great in itself. City1st''s idea of actually playing the full original at home games is actually a nice thought. "

I agree with all this... including the playing of the "original" - or at least the 1950''s recorded adaptation as it is... ;)