Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Anyone else fed up with "prudence with ambition.”

I am not saying for one minute go off and bankrupt the club but please show a little bit of ambition, at least publicly anyway. I often find when listening to the board it’s like they are planning for relegation, come on take the initiative and preserve our status!!

[quote]I am not saying for one minute go off and bankrupt the club but please show a little bit of ambition, at least publicly anyway. I often find when listening to the board it’s like they are planning fo...[/quote]

Save your breath Notts Canary, half the posters on here aren''t listening to your sound advice, my friend.

But for the record, I''m with you 100% mate.

Agree 100% Notts.

See my post "By their words ye shall know them"

Let''s have some straight thinking and mental toughness. Nice guys finish last - England cricket and rugby have learnt the hard way.

Delia, get that team sports psychologist to wake up those loose thinkers talkers in the Board and Admin!!!!!!!

Ambition with prudence please. not the converse!!!!!!!!

OTBC

I''m with you too !!!

Obviously I don''t want to see the club bankrupted but I genuinely believe there''s scope to be a bit more adventurous....

I think it''s a fine balancing act as well a bit of a gamble and I think the people on the board are in a better position than me to make their judgements.

There are about 8 teams at the bottom of the Premiership at the moment. 3 will sink and 5 will swim. Lets hope NCFC swim. Looking at the figures at the moment, its still quite open. So.....LETS NOT GIVE UP YET!!!!Come on you Yellows

This old chestnut comes up time and again. I''m with the poster above in that I believe that you could give Nigel £20m and there''s no guarantee that (a) they would be the right signings and (b) he would actually play any of them much.

[quote]This old chestnut comes up time and again. I''m with the poster above in that I believe that you could give Nigel £20m and there''s no guarantee that (a) they would be the right signings and (b) he woul...[/quote]

Please don''t think I''m having a dig at you Tumbleweed, but you do use the same old argument every time this ''old chestnut'' comes up, yes?.

Of course there''s no guarantee of success. Its a risk, any new signing is.

And none of us are demanding £20-30 million quid. But £4-5 million should not be out of the question.

Yes, he/they may well get injured, but if you take that attitude, why bother to sign anyone again?.

Worthy is always scrabbling around in the bargain basement, so of course, IMO, he''s going to come up with a few duds now and again.

But give him £2 and half million for just two players, then I become more confident in his choice.

But with our damn board its always ''make do'', and I''m mighty sick of it!, my friend.

[quote]Please don''t think I''m having a dig at you Tumbleweed, but you do use the same old argument every time this ''old chestnut'' comes up, yes?. Of course there''s no guarantee of success. Its a risk, any n...[/quote]

Imagine this phone conversation:-

"Hi 1st Wiz, it''s Nigel Worthington here. Congratulations by the way on getting the Pompey job, shame about old ''arry."

Nig continues, "Anyway, that centre forward of yours whose going spare, how much do you want for him?"

1st Wiz - "Well Nig, I hear you have about £4-5 million to spend in the transfer window, let''s call it £4.5M shall we?"

"Deal done 1st Wiz"

See the problem?

Wiz- I would love it, really love it, if we went and bought a decent quality striker and a central defender. But I am not going to get too upset about it because I have just got used over many many years to being disappointed when we expect a household name and get a journeyman who we hope turns out to be the "buy of the season".

In the 70s and early 80s we did get some great players towards the end of their careers who inspired all who saw them. I will never forget Martin Peters gracing Carrow Road, Mick Channon, even watching Asa Hartford and dare I say it Joe Royle was good to see. But it doesn''t happen anymore. We sign Fernando Derveld, Ray DeWaard and Paul Heckingbottom.

Even you must admit that Nigels transfer record recently has been patchy- the exception being Hucks, Leon and Sven all around the turn of the year. Good solid players and in Huck''s case the one jewel in a decade of mediocrity.

All I am saying is that however much money is made available I am just not terribly confident on it being spent in the right way.

I must admit that certain comments made from time to time do wind me up, but we''re never going to get them saying we are going to go out and spend £X million.

For some people that equals a lack of ambition, to me it''s a sense of realism

Some names please. Players we should buy.

Don''t just keep knocking everyone else until you''ve come up with some ideas yourself.

Plus, do you think every club should publish exactly how much money they''ve got? It would make the whole transfer negotiations thing a lot more transparent wouldn''t it?! D''oh.

I must try your approach next time I move house, tell the seller how much I''ve got approved for a mortgage but then try and bid less than he wants for the house. Not.

[quote]Imagine this phone conversation:- "Hi 1st Wiz, it''s Nigel Worthington here. Congratulations by the way on getting the Pompey job, shame about old ''arry." Nig continues, "Anyway, that centre forward ...[/quote]

Although your reply was mildly humorous, it doesn''t work like that Gazza, and I think you''re being slightly naughty for suggesting it does!, my dear poster friend.

Now there are a select few posters on here, I would never wish to argue with too much, and yes, you''re in that very small group.

But I ain''t letting go on this!. Sorry, not even for you.

This is vital, I really do believe that City''s short term future could depend on us (ie.another 5 or 6 years in the wilderness) staying in the premiership.

Of course, I don''t expect City to announce in advance their budget (as you cheekily seem to suggest) but I do wish the board to provide the cash for Nigel come January.

But you and I both know, as do most of the supporters, that is sadly, very unlikely to happen.

But I''ll carry on moaning, until it does, even at the grave risk of upsetting such a great poster, and cyber friend as yourself, sorry.