Sign in to follow this  
Delia Out!

Gary Hooper

He''s a good player at Championship level, has scored 20 goals this season for Scunthorpe, would we have enough cash to sign him?

I would rather have one Gary Hooper that 4 nearly men.  Its about time we started buying in quality instead of quantity....

And this is just the sort of level we need to be pitching ourselves at!!

£1m plus is the mooted figure and just aboput every championship club is interested in him supposedly. Two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.

[quote user="Delia Out"]He''s a good player at Championship level, has scored 20 goals this season for Scunthorpe, would we have enough cash to sign him?[/quote]

According to papers over the past few weeks Ipswich and Derby are fighting over him.

I''d love to see Hooper here- but I think a more realsic and cheaper player would be Adam LeFondre, he is very similar in his style of play to Hooper, and if Rotherham don''t go up I reckon we could get him for about 350k saying they''re in a bit of financial trouble

i think le fondre will go for a lot less that 350k, barnard only went for 150kish and hes proven at a leauge higher, i know he was out of contract in the summer but still he was a bargain.

yeah, I reckon you could be right- to me he seems like an obvious signing at that price, he''s scored loads at every club he''s been at- i''d bet on him doing the same here...

Hooper will cost £1m at the bare minimum, Scunny sold Billy Sharp for £2m+ when they were League1 who had never played at Championship level, Martin Paterson went for £1.5m and he''d scored a fraction of the goals Hooper has this season and last for that matter.

I didn''t catch all of Peter Beagrie on the Football League show on Friday but I think he said Scunthorpe were looking for £1.5m for Hooper. Doesn''t mean they''ll get it but if several clubs are sniffing around they may get an amount not far short of that.

LeFondre is the more realistic option IMO. I think he could do a job for us though.

There was some talk of us getting Chris Dagnall in January- I spose that''s all but gone now that Rochdale have been promoted now though. Other than LeFondre I reckon Paynter would be a great signing saying he could be available on a free depending on Swindo''s results...

Holt, Martin, McDonald and Oli + one more striker we will buy in the summer.  Whatever striker we buy, unless they are really good, will probably be 5th choice so we don''t have to splash loads of cash out.

I''m not sure McDonald or Oli can provide much more other than being impact substitutes next season, we need to bring in a striker who will really compete for a starting place or dislodge either Holt or Martin in the side.