Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

Joey Barton

Why would we want such an over rated, highly paid psycho. Surely this club now is about building for the future, bringing younger players through from the acedemy & buying in younger players we can develop. We have a few older heads in Doc, Holt etc they can guide & help the younger players, they will set a much better example than someone of Barton calibre????

[quote user="Mister Chops"]And we should remember this is the "family club" which brought you Matty Pattison, Chris Martin, Mike Milligan and Carl Bradshaw so let''s not go kidding ourselves that we only employ angels.

[/quote]

I think you''re doing Chris Martin a huge injustice comparing him with Barton to be honest.

Can I start by saying that I am not defending his actions, but I think it''s awful how everyone has a go at him for what he has done in the past. I think he comes across quite well (see BBC sport website for interview by Danny Mills) and I know for a fact that he does a lot of charity work.

It''s easy for everyone to say "he''s a thug" etc, but ultimately, he had a responsibility to behave himself (because he is a pro footballer and it is his duty) and he slipped up. Earning thousands of pounds at such a young age is not easy for some people and getting in scuffles and fights is parts of growing up for nearly all young men. Unfortunately he had to do it in the limelight whereas others don''t. I would even go as far to say that many on this message board have had a scrap or two in the past, but I bet it didn''t make the national papers.

Give the guy some slack, everyone has a history, something I have learnt myself recently.

[quote user="eagle"]

Can I start by saying that I am not defending his actions, but I think it''s awful how everyone has a go at him for what he has done in the past. I think he comes across quite well (see BBC sport website for interview by Danny Mills) and I know for a fact that he does a lot of charity work.

It''s easy for everyone to say "he''s a thug" etc, but ultimately, he had a responsibility to behave himself (because he is a pro footballer and it is his duty) and he slipped up. Earning thousands of pounds at such a young age is not easy for some people and getting in scuffles and fights is parts of growing up for nearly all young men. Unfortunately he had to do it in the limelight whereas others don''t. I would even go as far to say that many on this message board have had a scrap or two in the past, but I bet it didn''t make the national papers.

Give the guy some slack, everyone has a history, something I have learnt myself recently.

[/quote]

Quiet agree Eagle, Although clearly butter wouldnt melt for most people on here!

I give no slack to thugs, and never will. There is no excuse for violence, and this guy has had so many chances just as Marlon King did.

[quote user="The Duke"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

Quiet agree Eagle, Although clearly butter wouldnt melt for most people on here!

[/quote]

If you''re trying to suggest that I''ve ever been involved in the kind of activities that this * is infamous for then you''re quite wrong. You two might both also be thugs but don''t judge everyone by your own standards [:)]    

Not everyone has a history of gratuitous violence. These people are fortunately in a very small minority.   

My point was more to emphasise that his faults have been widely documented, whereas the average man on the street''s wouldn''t be.

It''s easy to judge people without knowing them, he may be alright guy once you get to know him. My opinion is that the press like to put down people who make mistakes, but fail to highlight some of the good things about them.

I found his BBC interview quite good.

Firstly i am not a thug.

Second i believe everyone should be given the opportunity to learn the error of there ways. He has done his time and that is that. I for one think it shows the strength of a modern society by accepting people have the capacity for change. I mean after all i doubt you are the same person you we''re at 21. I certainly am not. It seems to be he''s just a hot headed youngster, we all make mistakes in life be them minor or major, its how you learn from them which makes you a stronger person. I think he is only 26 you must put some of it down to the exuberance of youth surely?

Quite funny how people here slate Barton yet still love Bellamy despite him slapping that United fan that ran on the pitch with him not being able to defend himself and of course him attacking his team mate with a golf club, not exactly an Angel is he??

Yet how many of you would have him back here??

[quote user="Lambo"]Quite funny how people here slate Barton yet still love Bellamy despite him slapping that United fan that ran on the pitch with him not being able to defend himself and of course him attacking his team mate with a golf club, not exactly an Angel is he?? Yet how many of you would have him back here??[/quote]

Hahah - that poor little Man U fan not being able to defend himself [:)] Yeah, I take your point but I still wouldn''t have him back cos he''s a * [:)]

And Duke, I was being ironic about you being a thug; just that your post implied that we''re all as bad as him in reality which I don''t think is true. He seems like a pretty nasty piece of work. And, yes, I am just going on what I''ve seen in the media which is likely to be unrepresentative, Alright, you''ve convinced me, sign him up! [:)]

The only reason i bought up the topic was there was an interview with him by Danny Mills on the BBC website i thought he came across very well. Seemed quiet humbled by his whole experianced which i thought was quiet refreshing.

I love the double standards, we think this particular football thug is the devil incarnate, but if it was one of our own, say Craig Bellamy, he''s a legend? Get some perspective people, of course we''d have him he is a class above what we already have.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]I love the double standards, we think this particular football thug is the devil incarnate, but if it was one of our own, say Craig Bellamy, he''s a legend? Get some perspective people, of course we''d have him he is a class above what we already have. [/quote]It''s more the closed mindedness and the refusal to accept someone has done their time and might have changed that I find depressing.